Steps - Cover

Steps

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 3

Samantha brought her fiancé, Marty Allinson, to Carlton Parva to meet her parents. They both appeared to like him. The engagement was a short one. Rupert and Henrietta flew out for the wedding but Henry was still stuck in Afghanistan.

Samantha described Marty in a letter to Henry as a tall, strong, laughing man. He had been a college footballer and still kept himself fit. He was considered by their firm to be top class. "I'm sorry you weren't able to vet him, sweetie, but I know you would approve. We must arrange a get together as soon as we can after you get back from playing goodies and baddies."

Henry hoped she was right. He found it odd that she had never mentioned a growing romance in any of her earlier letters. He just hoped that the rapid marriage did not mean that she was already pregnant and that Marty was doing the 'decent thing'.

When he got home there was a video of the wedding for him to see and Marty was indeed a big cheerful looking man. He was handsome too and it appeared to Mark that he was head over heels in love with Samantha. Henry was relieved and comforted. He thought that Rupert was a bit offhand about him but Henrietta clearly approved.

Marty had family money and both he and Samantha were earning big salaries so they were able to move into a large house on the outskirts of Richmond, Virginia. They commuted to work together.

Most weekends they skyped. Henry and Samantha were unable to have heart to heart conversations because Marty was always present but Henry decided that he liked him and relaxed.

A year after they married Samantha flew home for a week on business but managed to tag a weekend on at each end. Fortunately Henry had another spell of London Duties so they were together in the London flat for a while. He had to be careful not to hog her over the weekends even though they did ride and walk the dogs together. On the Saturday night of the first weekend they went as a family to The Crown at Atheldiston where they were joined by Henry and Ginny Everleigh. It was an evening they all enjoyed and Henrietta was thrilled to see Jenny Hoddinot looking so happy. She was pregnant again and clearly delighted about it. The food, needless to say, was quite excellent.

On the Monday night in London Henry asked Samantha why she had never written about Marty before they became engaged.

"I'm sorry, Henry love," she replied and giggled. "It took me a bit by surprise too. We'd met at work but not that often because we're in different departments but then the CEO had a party and we spent most of it together. He made me laugh. I hadn't done much of that up to then: too busy being a good, dutiful girl. We went out together three or four times over the next six months and I really thought nothing of it. He didn't try to come on to me or anything and we were," she rolled her eyes, "just good friends."

Henry smiled.

"Then one evening we'd gone skating and he said he'd like to see me more often. I told him I'd like that and suddenly we were going out two or three times a week. I enjoyed that too and then one night we went to a very smart place and danced. I hadn't had much to drink and suddenly we were wound round each other. He didn't try to take advantage of it but I was slightly disappointed that he didn't."

She looked at him demurely.

Henry could not help but laugh. "Go on," he said.

"Well, I suddenly realised that it was a bit more than friendship."

Henry grinned evilly. "So you threw yourself at him."

"No, you foul man!"

Henry chuckled. "So what did you do?"

"I, um, made myself slightly more, um, accommodating."

"So you let him make love to you."

"No!"

"So what did you do?"

"I responded more to him and we had some quite heavy petting sessions."

"But you didn't go all the way."

"No, he never tried."

"Go on."

"Well, I suddenly realised I loved him. He was fun but could be serious. He was gentle and yet I realised a hidden strength."

"Physical or moral?"

"Both and mental. He hadn't tried anything on and there was no doubt about his physical strength. He's brilliant at his job and has a lot of other interests.

"Well then it all started to happen rapidly. He told me he loved me and I already loved him and before we knew where we were we were engaged and couldn't wait to get married."

"Good," said Henry. "I'm happy for you, Sams love."

"Thank you, my darling brother."

Henry was not happy for himself though. His very best friend and confidante was married and was no longer his own. He had lost something very precious and reassuring. He went to bed miserable but he could not, must not show his misery to Samantha. He had no doubt that she would always be there for him but someone else had captured her heart and he would come first, naturally.

He was up and away before Samantha was up the next morning. He was not himself and swore angrily at his horse. The Corporal-Major was onto him like a flash.

"I don't know and I don't care, Mr Cavendish, sir, what's on your mind but you do not take it out on your charger."

"Sorry, Corporal-Major. You're quite right."

"So?"

Henry stroked his horse's nose. "Sorry, old chum," he said. "I've got things on my mind but there's no need to take them out on you. Let's forget them for a while. Forgive me?"

His horse nuzzled him and Henry kissed his nose. The Corporal-Major relaxed but he was troubled. Mr Cavendish was normally in control of his emotions. He said nothing to anybody but decided to go with the guard that morning. He took his place right rear. Henry was unaware of his presence.

Henry led his guard from Knightsbridge to Horseguards and the changing of the guard went without a hitch.

"Oh Lord," he thought. "Another long boring day."

It was not. Half an hour after they had taken over his corporal told him of tourist trouble.

He went out to see what it was. There were always people who wanted their photograph taken standing by the horse's neck. The troopers and their horses were used to and accepted it.

Today though there was a very red-faced trooper holding in a very restless horse. There was a young woman standing beside him and trying to climb up onto his lap.

Henry was in no mood for pleasantries.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" he demanded of the young woman.

She stepped back in surprise at his vehemence.

"I just wanted a photo of me on his horse," she whined.

"He is on duty and not your plaything. Buzz off!"

"Hey!" chipped in a young man, presumably her boyfriend. "That was abusive."

Henry looked him up and down disdainfully.

"No! I merely told her to buzz off. Yes, it was forceful but nothing more. Now would you please both move on."

The young man moved forward aggressively. "Who the hell do you think you are telling me to move on? This is a major tourist attraction and we have our rights to take photos of what we want."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.