Fighting for Family - Cover

Fighting for Family

Copyright© 2010 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 11

Vicki wondered who could possibly be knocking on the door at that time of day. She went to the door of her little flat and opened it. John was standing there wearing a sport coat, white shirt, and tie. The only thing marring the image of a business professional was the pair of blue jeans. He looked uncomfortable. Whether it was due to being there or his clothes, Vicki wasn't sure.

She stepped back and gestured for him to come in.

"I didn't expect to see you," Vicki said.

While entering the apartment, John said, "I've been thinking about things."

"Same here," Vicki said.

John looked around the apartment taking in the spartan decor. There wasn't even a chair for them to sit upon. Unable to prevent the words from coming out his mouth, he asked, "Why are you living in such a dump?"

"It is cheap and rents by the month," Vicki answered.

She shrugged her shoulders. It was the only positive thing she could say about the place. There had been a time when she wouldn't have been caught dead in a place like that. Now she didn't care.

"You could have done better," John said.

He didn't like the idea of her living like that. He felt it wasn't right that she had moved out of the house that had been so important to her at one time. Her reasons for moving out were understandable. Having to leave it for extended periods of time must have been torture. At least this way she had a place to be.

"It doesn't matter," Vicki said. She didn't add that she felt she had lost the only thing that did matter. It was too bad that she hadn't recognized it at the time and acted before it was too late.

In a matter of fact voice, John said, "I sold the business today. We're now very rich."

"I don't know what to say. You loved that business," Vicki said.

She felt that he wasn't very excited about having sold the business. It was understandable in a way. He had spent more than sixteen years building it. Now it was gone.

"I was getting tired of it," John said. Seeing her cocked eyebrow, he added, "Really, I was."

Vicki said, "I didn't know that."

"I got a good deal. They paid thirty-two million for it and options on a million shares of stock. I had to sign a non-compete contract preventing me from working in the game business for five years. I can still work in the software industry," John said.

After distribution of the money to the kids, he was a very wealthy man. He wanted her to know that no matter how things worked out, she would be provided for for the rest of her life.

"That is a good deal," Vicki said.

Her paltry hundred thousand in investments paled beside the amount of money he was talking about. She couldn't believe how she had lorded that money over him. He must have thought she was an obnoxious bitch.

John said, "I was kind of surprised at the stock options. The options could be worth another five or six million dollars in a year or two. They saw the last game that I developed and increased their original offer. I had kept the game as a last minute bargaining chip. It worked."

"Good," Vicki said.

She was at a loss for words. It was hard to imagine that John was such a good businessman. He really didn't look or act the part. She wondered if she would have been more trusting in his ability if he had acted more like Sid.

Getting around to the real reason for his visit, John said, "I promised the kids that we would move to John's Farm after I sold the business."

"Are you moving?" Vicki asked.

The idea that the family was giving up the house that she had worked so hard for was painful. So much energy had been wasted by her. She had destroyed everything that she had work to achieve. The last blow would be selling the house.

"Yes. The movers are coming next Monday," John answered looking down at the floor.

"Ah," Vicki said feeling sick.

John asked, "Do you want me to move your stuff over to John's Farm?"

"Are you going to sell the house?" Vicki asked finding it difficult to breath.

"No. I thought we could keep it. My office is there and I kind of like the idea of having a place away from home to work. I've done that work at home stuff for too long. It tends to blur the lines between working and not working," John answered.

There wouldn't be much to do at John's farm during the winter months. He had some ideas for some software products. He could always experiment with making a smart house. It would be kind of fun to work on his ideas occasionally without having to worry about money.

"I would prefer to live there for a while. At least until things get resolved with our situation," Vicki said.

It seemed to her that the chances of her marriage lasting diminished each day that passed. She was falling into a depression that threatened to overwhelm her. Maybe moving out of the apartment would help her mental state.

"I'll instruct the movers to leave your stuff there," John said.

"Thanks," Vicki said.

John stood there not knowing what else to say. The tension in the room increased a notch.

She said, "I have to know – is there any chance for us?"

"I don't want to lose you," John said. "The idea of losing you tears me apart."

"Thank God."

She felt that her prayers had been answered.

"I've been ready to forgive you for a while," John said. He licked his lips and added, "I just didn't know how to approach you."

The discussion with David had clarified a lot of things in his mind. There were a lot of things she had done that he couldn't forget, but he could forgive. He had appreciated the fact that she hadn't tried to deny what had happened or her role in tearing apart the family. He didn't think he could have forgiven her if she had done that.

"Oh John!" she screamed.

She threw herself at him. Her hug squeezed his chest to the point where it was difficult to breath. She sobbed in tears. He held her in his arms.

Pulling back a little, she wiped her eyes. In a broken voice, she said, "I'm sorry. It seems like all I do is cry."

"I'm sorry that I've made you cry," John said.

Displays of emotion made him uneasy. He never knew what to say in these situations. He always felt that he should have come up with something profound or moving, but he never did.

Sensing his reservations, Vicki knelt in front of him. Looking up at him, she said, "John, I swear before God that from this day forth I will love, honor, and cherish you. I will obey you in all matters, great and small. I will treat you with respect. I will deny you nothing."

She rose from the floor keeping her eyes locked upon his. She undressed without looking away. Standing naked before him, she said, "Husband, reclaim me as your wife and lover."

John reclaimed her. A long time passed in which all communication was physical rather than verbal. At times it was gentle and other times rough. Their passions ebbed and flowed like the tide in a storm. Finally, too exhausted to continue, they laid side by side on a bed that was nearly too small for even one person.

"I needed that," Vicki said.

"No more than I," John said.

"I love you," Vicki said.

"I love you, too."

After a moment, John asked, "Will you move to John's Farm with us?"

"If you ask me to," Vicki answered after a moment's hesitation.

"Don't you want to live with me?" John asked feeling a little hurt by the delay in giving her answer.

Vicki answered, "More than anything. Are you ready for the fights and arguments that will result from me living there with you and the kids?"

"No, I'm not," John said sadly.

"I thought so," Vicki said.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. It is my fault that things are this way," Vicki said. "Until things turn for the better, remember that my door is always open to you."

"I'll keep that in mind," John said.

They cuddled on the bed, enjoying the feel of being in each other's arms. Both realized that it had been a decade since they had done anything like this. It felt nice.

"I like this."

"Me too."

At the house, Rose was pacing nervously around the living room. Every few minutes she would pause to glance at the clock. It seemed like time had slowed to a crawl.

She asked, "Where's Dad?"

"You know where he is. He's signing the contract to sell the company," Lisa answered.

"He should have been done hours ago," Rose said.

"You don't know that," Lisa answered.

"You don't think there was a problem, do you?" Rose asked.

"I doubt it," Lisa said.

Rose said, "I hope not. I want to move out of this shit-hole so bad that I can't stand it another minute."

"I know what you mean. This whole house stinks of Mother," Lisa said bitterly.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.