Sparks - Cover

Sparks

Copyright© 2010 by black_coffee

Chapter 14

17:55 Sunday, June 30th, 1991

Sonoma Valley Inn

550 W Second St, Sonoma, CA 95476

Before supper, Lenore tried to convince her mother that leaving Ben in the hospital alone had been a good idea. "But Mo-om! Even Sandy didn't think we needed to stay!"
Sandy winced, then met Kate's eye. "Really, Kate, he's fine. The Chief Orderly has him under his wing, the doc says it's just a preliminary infection, and they caught it in plenty of time. They'll let him out tomorrow or Tuesday, and then Tuesday evening, they've invited us to a cookout. They really didn't seem concerned."
Kate relented in her inquisition, but clearly still worried. Sandy waited for Lenore to leave the room, and held a quiet conversation with Kate. "I'm worried too, but it won't do to spend the night there. I'll go back with Lenore in the morning, then she and I can go into San Francisco like she wanted."
Kate flashed her a quick smile. "Okay, hon. I'll give Lenore a credit card, and you two can go shop." She paused. "I'll need to get over worrying about him someday. But for the next few months while you two are separated, I guess I'll have to do the worrying."
Sandy nodded, a sudden emptiness in her chest.
##
At supper, new plans were made. Kate was visibly torn, wanting to go see her son in the hospital, but Dan and she had plans to visit real-estate brokers. Kate agreed to take a spa day Wednesday, at Lenore's determined insistence. Thursday, the Fourth, everyone would relax and attend the hotel barbeque.
Kate and Dan declined the invitation to attend the Gunny's cookout, wherever it might be, as they probably wouldn't finish with the realtors in time Tuesday. Kate mentioned a flight back to Texas for Lenore, which idea Lenore nixed, saying she was having fun and wanted to see what the weekend brought. Kate watched Sandy's expression, and Sandy was careful to smile her approval. Lenore gave a little squeal and squeezed Sandy's hand on the table when she realized Sandy had given her agreement.
With the family's plans made, and supper finished, Lenore and Sandy watched reruns on Sandy's TV until ten PM.
##

08:50 Monday, July 1, 1991

Naval Medical Center Oakland (Oak Knoll)

Oakland, CA

Sandy and Lenore spent the morning with Ben. Ben watched Lenore as he told her the Gunny had taken the week off work, but Lenore showed no reaction other than simple curiosity. Ben shrugged, and explained he'd left a note with an address and directions.
An hour and a half into the visit, while both girls read, a doctor none of them had seen before came and listened to Ben's chest. Nodding at the introductions to the girls, he pronounced Ben could be discharged early that evening. Sandy asked him about getting her stitches removed.
A few moments later, a young man in white scrubs came in with a small tray. He deftly wiped Sandy's stitches with alcohol. With a few quick tugs, the stitches were out.
Ben regarded the two girls calmly. "If I know my sister, she's got Mom's permission to go shopping. You two pick me up here around seventeen-hundred. I've got some more Vor to read." He held up his book to indicate what he meant. "I'll be fine. I can't stand shopping, so go on."
Lenore grabbed Ben's face with two hands and gave him a kiss on his cheek. Blushing furiously, he accepted Sandy's light kiss on the lips. She watched his eyes light up. She winked at him evilly, whispering, "Physical therapy tomorrow."
Ben groaned as the two left him.
##
Sandy was frustrated, driving the big pickup around San Francisco. Everywhere she looked, parking garages were too small, empty parking spots were non-existent. Keeping her irritation to herself was becoming more and more difficult. Finally, after being forced to turn right at Steuart and Market, she took the first right she could, and found an open parking lot just off the main drag. Whistling in relief, she got a ticket at the gate, then almost viciously threw the big truck into an empty spot, slamming the door behind her as she dropped out of the cab.
"I'm impressed," Lenore said. "You got us right by Pier One! And up that way at the far end is Fisherman's Wharf, and the Ghiradelli Chocolate factory, and the cable cars, and Shopping!"
Sandy clearly heard the capital 'S' in 'Shopping'. Lenore's amusement warmed her a little, and she finally smiled at her friend as they crossed the street.
Forty minutes later, Sandy had tuned the majority of Lenore's running commentary out, while keeping a small smile plastered on her face. Most of the girl's tide of words spilled over Sandy, who drew amusement from the sheer pleasure Lenore pulled out of the shopping experience. While meandering through a giant imported furniture and home interior store, Lenore called Sandy's attention to a large steamship trunk made from four different colored woods cleverly shaped and joined. "Can't you just imagine this at the foot of your bed, Sandy? In your home?"
Sandy could. In fact, for a few moments, she dreamed of being married, with her children – Ben's children – running into the house while she made the bed, the same trunk at its foot. She shook herself, and gave a little frown. Lenore nodded at her, in understanding. "Not just yet, huh? But someday."
Sandy nodded, and Lenore reached over and hugged her, right in the store. Sandy said nothing, her throat tight.
"Well, I'm hungry," Lenore said brightly. "Let's get out of here and do lunch. Mom's buying!" Without further discussion, the two left the giant store, half unexplored.
##

16:40 Monday, July 1, 1991

Naval Medical Center Oakland (Oak Knoll)

Oakland, CA

Ben was waiting in the lobby when they arrived. He climbed in the passenger door, next to Lenore, as soon as the truck stopped rolling. Sandy drove off, and Ben let out a sigh of relief.
Sandy quirked an eyebrow at him, and he laughed ruefully. "I was supposed to be wheeled out in a wheelchair. Screw that. I saw you coming, and bolted."
Laughing, they drove out of Oakland.
##
Kate made a little fuss over Ben, but kept it to a minimum. Ben waited until she stopped asking questions which Lenore answered, then gave his mom a hug, closing the subject. Lenore announced brightly at supper that she intended to play in and hang out by the pool for the evening, and Sandy's eyes met Ben's.
##

23:40 Zulu (20:40 local) Monday, July 1st, 1991

Transportes Saenz (Bus Station)

12a Calle & 7a Avienda

Comayaguela (Tegucigalpa), Honduras

Fear was now the central component of Ruben's life, and he blamed Joachin. This bus ride was another step on a long descent into terror for him. They were on their way to Columbia, where Joachin would be talking them into some serious shit.
Ruben knew Joachin's shoulder was ruined, and caused him constant pain. If he could get the bones reconstructed, he'd be capable, but Joachin would never shoot a rifle or ride a horse again in his life. The over-the-counter painkillers Joachin took were barely effective. Both brothers agreed there would be no narcotics for either of them, that was the fast ticket to a shallow grave.
There was money in the drug trade. Money to pay for reconstructive surgery, if one were willing to sell one's soul. That decision was easy for Joachin, since he had a hatred for the country he'd lived in and tried to be rich in, the country he'd brought so many people to live in.
"Five minutes more," he said, not moving, when Joachin's eyes flicked at the clock.
"I know you don't like this," Joachin said, the tone only slightly colored by his agony. "And I know you do this for me. It's only family you can count on."
"Family," Ruben agreed. I know you'd never call Amelia, or her husband-the-surgeon. She told me not to call again, if I were still near you, but I can't tell you that. But you know it anyway, don't you?
"Family," Joachin echoed, wryly. After a moment's silence, he continued. "I'm glad we're leaving. It'll be better in South America, and we'll be rich. We'll live like we want to."
Ruben smiled softly, and nodded. More like they've beaten you, and we're going to join the local gang to get revenge. Ruben knew Joachin hated the government, since it hadn't been a policeman who shot him at the border.
It had been a soldier.
##

07:25 Tuesday, July 2, 1991

28910 Matadero Creek Lane

Los Altos Hills, CA 94022

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.