Battlemage Nonetheless: Book 3 - Envoy
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2010 by Risq

"Thank you for the horses," said Marie as she looked over at Seth smiling.

"I'm happy to loan them to you all. I'm just sorry how you received them, but not that you have them," said Seth.

"I am too. I wished those men didn't have to die while helping others as they did, but I know those people in the town appreciated their sacrifice," said Marie to Seth.

Seth just nodded as he rode. They rode in silence while they were sticking to the main roads in the forest so that they could make good time heading back.

"So I hear you're from the Kingdom of Trestenall?" asked Marie as she road next to Seth trying to change the subject.

Seth nodded and smiled at her as he said "Yes it is a beautiful Kingdom. Its only flaw is the rats who whisper into the ears of the King."

"Uhhh, ok. I'm not quite sure what that means," said Marie looking confused.

"Let's not go into our small political issues, what can you tell me about yourself and your companions. I should know something before I present you to my King. You were a god's send over the last few days. My men tell me that you all were everywhere and doing everything you could to help the people of that town. You have my thanks for being where I couldn't," smiled Seth at Marie.

Uncharacteristic of Marie, she appeared to blush a little. Looking away she composed herself and looked back.

"Well you may or may not have heard about us but we have the black haired lady named Lori. She is a seventh circle mage in all 5 schools. Riding next to her is her husband Mark he is a swordsman. Next to him is Dusty, you've met him already, he was the one you held up dangling while you were injured so badly," grinned Marie.

Seth had the good gracious to blush when she put it that way.

"He's the resident Battlemage. He's just like the stories always said the last Battlemage was. He's selfless and cares for those around him. Currently he's a seventh circle mage in all five schools as well. Next to him is his wife Suzan. She's currently the best swords woman on our team.

"Next to her is Rachel. She's a sword as well, but she's really something else at tracking and getting us where we need to be. Without her there would have been many missions that we couldn't have completed," finished Marie.

"Well what about you? You've somehow left yourself out of your narrative," smiled Seth.

Blushing Marie looked down.

"I uhm, well you already know that I'm called Marie. I'm, kinda in charge of them all, and I'm uhm, well a staff user as you may have noticed by my staff, and I uhm, well even though I can use a sword as well prefer it because it can be less lethal when I need it to be, and uhm... ," stammered Marie as she looked down while riding.

She had no idea why just talking to him was making her flustered. She wanted him to like her and suddenly she didn't know what to say. Marie found talking about herself like this today for some reason was embarrassing.

"I'm sure it's used quite well in your hands. Well I'm Captain Seth, but you can call me Seth if you like. I prefer it," smiled Seth. Marie smiled back. "I am in charge of the castles Army, but since the accountants disbanded the regular army this is all the kingdom has at the present."

"Why did they disband the original army?" asked Marie regaining composure.

"Cost overruns. They said it wasn't cost efficient to have an army if there weren't any wars. It only made sense during that time. There are local militias in various cities and towns that can be pressed into service, but the cost of those men and materials come out of the localities and not from the crown," said Seth as he looked ahead.

This was a sticking point with him, the lack of well prepared troops to ensure the Kingdoms defense.

"So how many troops are under your command?" asked Marie.

"We have six companies of 150 troops each at the castle with 100 men spread out and stationed in various cities four to five to a city to keep their town's militias ready at a moments notice. We rotate all the men so they don't get too comfortable in just one town," said Seth.

"Wow why so many men if there is a fear of spending money on troops?" asked Marie.

She saw Seth's face darken briefly before the emotion went away. If she hadn't been watching his face so intently she would have missed it.

"The vultures who control the purse strings have not problem making sure they're safe, just not any one else. This was a compromise. Thus we still have an army, but just not an easily deployable one; because they fear getting attacked all the men are kept with-in the castle walls," finished Seth.

After riding for a few moments in silence Marie spoke again, but this time with her normal measured confidence.

"So, not to pry into the life of someone I just met, but well, is there someone in your life I need to be concerned about fighting you for once you get back big guy?" asked Marie with a large sexy smile.

While they were sitting there quietly contemplating Marie decided this wasn't like her. She wasn't the wilting flower type.

Marie had always approached life head on, letting everyone know where she stood. So she decided that either Seth would like her for her or he wouldn't, but it wouldn't be because she wasn't herself and didn't try.

Smiling at her sudden change Seth asked "Are you always so forthcoming and direct with your questions?"

"Actually yes. I could waste time dancing around, doing the early teenage version of "does he or doesn't he like me" but to be honest I'd rather just cut to the chase. So how about it, do you have a woman back home?" Marie asked smiling back.

Seth thought about it for a bit. He already had a good chance to look at her, hopefully without her or her friends catching him, but he really like what he saw. What he saw impressed him.

He could see that Marie was built very well with a somewhat nice large chest, pretty blue eyes, and a good sense of humor. She worked hard and seemed to care about her friends. So far he couldn't find any fault with her. But he was curious why she would ever be interested in someone as plain as he was.

To be honest he often couldn't figure out why any of the women at the capital were. He always thought that there were far more interesting and attractive men around than himself.

Suddenly the humor of the situation struck him as too funny and doing something he rarely did, he decided to joke with this attractive lady next to him.

"Oh my, this is all so sudden. No there isn't anyone really back home waiting for me. So now that you know, is your plan now to totally sweep me off my feet so that I only think thoughts of you? Oh my, whatever will I do about my virtue?" asked Seth smiling.

While he spoke in a mock falsetto voice as he tilted his head to the side, touched his chest with his open right hand, and looked up at the sky.

Riding her horse a little closer Marie leaned over so she could lightly touched his chest. Seth immediately looked over at her. The look of intensity she was giving him could have melted iron it was so sultry. With her one eye hidden it added an entirely new level of seduction to what she said as she spoke so softly that it gave him chills.

"Just so that you know, you'll know when I sweep you off your feet because you'll be of no use to anyone for days. Once I'm done with you you'll be so wrung out that when you eventually come too you'll be wondering why your legs won't work and why you can't seem to get out of bed.

"Once I get a hold of you, protecting your virtue will be the last thing on your mind. I want to make sure you understand everything up front, because doing all of that is my plan for you and it is going to happen so you might as well accept it now," said Marie softly as she then softly smiled with a single half closed blue eye that he could see.

Seth's eyes actually grew a little wider in shock as she said that and slowly nodded.

He was sure she was completely serious and no longer joking. She had just met him and he had no idea why such an attractive woman was so determined to have him so badly.

Marie leaned back, straightened up on her horse and smiled even bigger.

She was getting the desired result she was after. Something told her that it if she played it just right based on his reaction he wouldn't be getting away anytime soon.

They rode in silence for a while as both contemplated what Marie was saying to Seth.


Mark, Dusty, Suzan, and Lori were talking among themselves. Rachel had intermingled among Seth's troops and was getting information while fending off offers to have her sleep with some of the men when they stopped for the night.

"I get the feeling that Marie has recently found something she likes," said Suzan as she looked over at Dusty.

"I get that impression too. You would have thought they were married as much as she hovered over him while Lori and I worked on him," said Dusty with a smile.

"Well you have to admit what he was doing, while so badly injured was pretty impressive," said Mark.

"A woman likes to know that the man she's chosen to be with is someone she can count on. Someone like him doing what he did, says that he's that man among men," said Lori

"You're not kidding. That was so completely impressive. Something like that would make women chase him for miles around," said Suzan.

Looking at their wives in shock, Dusty and Mark started to feel a little put out. They noticed that their wives were refusing to look at them as Suzan and Lori continued to look straight ahead.

Suddenly, and strangely at the same time, both women started giggling before they broke into full on laughter. Only then did they both look at their husbands.

"Now, now, Dusty you know that I worked too hard to get you to chase me for me to throw it all away. You're the only man I ever wanted and will ever be with. No other man will ever change that. I love you more than anyone I will ever meet and I just said that to yank your chain. It was just a small joke please don't be angry with me," said Suzan with a warm smile.

"And you are the only one who will ever call me princess. You're the one who I love with all my heart. I couldn't think of wanting anyone else. There is something about you that no one else has that is mine and mine alone. So please don't get mad," said Lori as she gave Mark her 10,000 watt smile she knew he couldn't resist.

Both men just shook their heads. Their wives really did have the oddest senses of humor. By now they could recognize when they were pulling their legs.

But they all could see that Marie obviously found someone that was more than just a passing interest. They wondered how Seth felt about her as well.

It was then that they saw Marie lean over and say something to Seth, but as in their previous conversation they still couldn't hear what was said, but right after what ever it was, Seth sat up straighter and seemed to be looking straight ahead meanwhile Marie had a mischievous look.

Something told them Seth might not get a vote as to what direction their relationship took.


The rest of the trip to the capital was pretty uneventful with no further attacks or reports of attacks by any of the citizens of the Kingdom of Trestenall.

It wasn't lost on anyone that Marie seemed to be spending a lot of time with Seth and Seth for one didn't seem to be all that concerned about it. While the others were happy for her only Rachel was sure that their future was one that would end in matrimony.

Rachel was both jealous and happy for her as Seth seemed to be responding to Marie's efforts.


As they arrived in the capital city they headed straight for the castle grounds. Seth soon ushered them all into his office and sent for his Lieutenant to get an update. He gestured to the six to the chairs and table around them in his office.

"Welcome to the capital city in the Kingdom of Trestenall. Make yourself at home in my office. I need to speak with Lt. Glaser and to speak to the families of the men who were killed. Corporal Prewitt sacrificed his life for me by saving me directly from what ever that attack was. I need to speak with his wife and I need to see to his death benefits. Later we will all have an audience with the King," said Seth in a monotone voice as he left the room

As he left everyone started looking for seats, the four women took the available chairs and Dusty and Mark wandered the room looking at its contents.

Only Marie seemed to look hurt for him and for what he now found himself having to do. Her heart went out to him and for what would be a very hard thing to do as he visited with six different families to tell them of a loved ones death.

Several hours later a solemn Seth returned and took a seat behind his desk.

"Well let's talk about what is going on before we meet the king, I also have no stomach to fight a war when we don't know what is going on. It will just needlessly get men killed. I've spoken to my men, but they are just as in the dark as I am about what happened and we were there. Did any of you find anything?" asked Seth

Dusty and Rachel talked to him about what they found, but neither had anything more concrete to tell him.

"Are you sure you don't know anymore? While those snakes who speak to the king won't want to do it, the Knights will want to start a campaign and attack Patella now that our soldiers are being killed. We'll need something to forestall this," said Seth.

While the others were looking lost and unsure Dusty looked out the window and spoke.

"I hate to say it, but I know what it looks like, but it can't be what I think it is," said Dusty.

"Speak man! If you know something it might help," said Seth.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.