Battlemage Nonetheless: Book 3 - Envoy - Cover

Battlemage Nonetheless: Book 3 - Envoy

Copyright© 2010 by Risq

Chapter 1

Wolfgang was sitting at his simple, yet tastefully designed, oak desk in his office looking at the ten very excited men who were seated in various chairs all around him.

He was trying to not get angry, upset, or let his mind drift as he sat there. Wolfgang also fought hard the urge to lean back.

During the time that he had been away, his house still had that lived in feeling without having had someone be there everyday.

Before this meeting, as he walked around his house getting reacquainted with it, Wolfgang could tell that someone had done a very good job on the upkeep of his home and he really appreciated it. Even the kitchen had a warm lived in feeling to it.

Even now as he tried hard not to look away from the assembled men in front of him Wolfgang couldn't see a speck of dust anywhere in this room with-in his vision.

But the current problem that Wolfgang was now having was with some the various issues that were coming up to be discussed with him.

It took time for them to gather the various local men to meet, but now that they had, it seems that without some form of real leadership caused by his having been gone for far too long that now there were far too many splinter groups that sprang up while he was gone and each claiming to be in his name.

But that wasn't the worst of it!

Some of these groups had been terrorizing societies, communities, and using their power to push political and social changes in his name! They had moved so far off from what he had been trying to do, and that really angered Wolfgang.

Wolfgang always viewed himself as a protector of those who couldn't protect themselves. The best way was to protect them without them knowing he was ever there.

But this! This went far beyond what he had ever wanted. They were supposed to be his protectors from the shadows. They had now made the name of Wolfgang the thing of shadows and threats.

Without his wife's influence and direction after he was gone, everything fell into disarray.

Thankfully the ones before him were of a different splinter faction of those who tried to keep the most to what was found in his notes and files, as apposed to various others who chose to "interpret" what they felt he was trying to do or say.

So far on of the most disturbing things that he's found out was that one of the other splinter factions had been killing anyone they believe to be or might become a Battlemage.

That was directly the opposite of what he inferred when he promised Aric, who by now was long gone, but Wolfgang still planned to live by his word. He promised to no longer prejudge anyone without giving them a fair chance to prove they were evil first.

Aric and his family was a real force for good. He would miss them and wished they were still here. They taught him that to judge someone just by power alone was not enough, they must be judged by their actions.

If only those fools on the mages council hadn't upset Brianna as they did, he could have seen how all of their lives turned out. Instead Wolfgang realized that because of their short sightedness and stupidity he had missed it all.

Wolfgang knew that it was risky to add Brianna to his network, but at the time there was a great need and he had no idea what happened given her rage. The last thing Wolfgang remembers was feeling all the nodes closing down one after the next, right before he was also blown off his network, and then nothing.

He would have to eventually find the reports from those who survived. Those would likely be more accurate than what he was getting lately.

Wolfgang was at a loss on how the various other groups, who were also pushing rulers of kingdoms to do what they wanted, ever thought that was a goal of his. That had never ever been a goal either. Wolfgang tried hard to barely get involved with any other kingdoms unless the rulers were either Battlemages, tried to employ them, or in the rare cases attacked him first.

If a kingdom was just really corrupt and oppressed the citizens Wolfgang would often hint or drop information into the laps of someone who might be able to help the citizens, but that was a far as he went. He preferred the route of non-interference and hands off.

Those various splinter groups had also been tinkering in some of the more dangerous magic's and inventions that he had outlawed while he was around. That bothered him the most. He outlawed those things for a reason, but to have them to callously using those to push their various agenda's also infuriated him.

But Wolfgang realized that he couldn't take it out on the smiling faces of those in front of him. They had nothing to do with these problems. These would need to be solved during another day.

They were looking to him to be the leader they had waited centuries for to come back. As he realized this, Wolfgang really wished they hadn't made this harder than it needed to be to rebuild, but like it or not he needed to know what they all were up too before he could make any long term plans.

With a sigh he returned his wandering mind back to the conversation in front of him.

" ... and the brown haired woman known as the "Angel of Mercy" has been sighted helping the people of the town of Polstaff. It's been noted that she again was using some form of shape changing magic that no one understands.

"Also of note was that two of the towns more vicious criminals were left in the custody of the local magistrate by her and remained unconscious for days after she left. No one understands how she does that, but it is nothing that is really new that has not already been reported over a number of different times over the seasons as something she does.

"There was a report to try to study her and see the secret to her long life and her unique magic, but so far she has either eluded us or the agents were found unconscious in their beds with no idea of how they got there or what happened. We are starting to wonder if it is something that is being passed on between master and apprentice that only women can master. Thankfully there is only one practitioner of this type of magic at a time.

"She is truly a mystery. If she wasn't working so hard to help people I'd label her a threat, but all the people left behind have all been improved by her help," finished the one who was said to be called Marcus, as he looked up from his report smiling.

Marcus was the senior members of the Order of the Wolfgang as they had come to be known.

He was an older man of 62 seasons, who used what weak magic he had to amplify his weakening eyesight. He walked and exercised everyday, but still had a very slight paunch to his frame. His slightly balding look seemed out of place with his remaining salt and pepper hair.

But he was a happy man and always tried to look on the brighter side of life.

Wolfgang tried not to look startled when they mentioned the browned haired woman and her various actions, but there was only one person who might live as long as he could and be doing the same things this woman was now doing.

The more he thought on it, Wolfgang realized that it had to be her as he had only heard of one woman who matched her description and abilities called that before. It had to be her. No one else could remotely fit that bill. But was it even possible that she was still around?

"Excuse me. The name "Angel of Mercy" where did you get it?" asked Wolfgang suddenly.

"It a reference to that name was found while researching some of the older archives. The name seemed to fit her seeing how she was similar to the description and abilities of the woman who was called that from that time period several centuries ago. No one knows her name, but we are even now still wondering how she is doing what she is doing," answered the one known as Gerald.

Gerald was a younger man who looked far older than his twenty six seasons. He had a full head of brown hair that had a slight part on the right side. He looked to be carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

"Ahh I see. So no one who has made contact with her remembers the encounter? That is indeed strange," said Wolfgang thoughtfully.

While the men in front of him nodded Wolfgang realized that it was just another one of the facets of her abilities.

"It just has to be her. Because of her power she is the only one who would be able to do something like that," thought Wolfgang to himself.

As Wolfgang sat in thought, one of the men cleared his throat. Wolfgang looked up at him questioningly.

This one was said to be named Canis. He was a little rotund, but appeared jolly earlier during the introductions.

"Uhhmm, Master Wolfgang. I was wondering, I mean, well, we were all really. The records indicated that your return would bring various things with it. The records also said that now that you are back with us, you would be able to help us in learning how to live easier in day to day life. Help with more modern medicine and such. Even increase our magic potentials. All before you today has some skills in the magical arts.

"It also spoke of being able to have a communications, uhm net... work... , which also went along with our increase in power. What is that and was that all true? And if it was, then when would we be able to experience some of this? Those of us here have been faithfully awaiting your return and now hope and wonder if we were worthy of being granted some of these boons," finished Canis in a rush.

If possible everyone gave the appearance of leaning forward to hear his response without actually moving.

"Yes those were things that were provided in the past to those who worked along side me. But right now I need to assess and absorb all of the strengths and weakness of the current situation before I start making any changes. I'm sure you can understand that," said Wolfgang smiling at them.

While the men barely showed disappointment, if possible they also showed some form of excitement that their long hard work would pay off.

"Other than those of you in this room does anyone else know I've awakened?" asked Wolfgang.

"Other than the guards, no," said Staven.

He was one of the two to find Wolfgang when he awoke. The other being the man called Chase.

"Good, have the guards kept here for a bit and I need this explained to them. I don't want this to get out just yet. I want to see first hand what is happening both in the world and with the many other groups and what they are actually up to. I want to know what is going on around me and see the changes of the world since I left. I need to go out and experience the changes," smiled Wolfgang.

While the other smiled back they were a little nervous. What if he didn't' want to come back? What if he liked one of the other groups better and turned them out?

"Don't worry it has nothing to do with anyone here. I appreciate you watching and keeping me safe and I always reward those who help me. You have my word on it," smiled Wolfgang.

He could feel the collective sigh of relief from his statement.

Soon the meeting came to a close, and the men all filed out of his office after reaching out to shake his hand like they did when they were introduced to him before they left.

After they left Wolfgang waited for a moment before he reached for a plain folder.

He didn't want to show too much interest in anything once he was made aware of what was going on, but something about one of the subjects in the files pulled at his attention.

Normally strange dressed people wouldn't get his attention, but it was the fact that he was a magic user that was using an unknown hand to hand fighting style that had at first peaked his interest as Wolfgang sat listening.

But when the report talked about this man wearing clothes that the observer couldn't determine the origin of, which seemed strange given all the clothing styles on record, this set off another Geiger for his interest.

Now he was really intrigued.

As Wolfgang gave it some serious thought he could remember seeing item as described in this report before when he was younger in different ones of his dreams.

Then he leaned back, while reading the report, and he focused on various things that were contained with in it that had caught his eye.

Closing the folder he made a mental note that he would need to meet this "Dusty" person eventually. Something said he wasn't from around here. And if he was from where he thought he was he could both answer questions he had and possibly help to push this world into a direction where it really needed to be.

But before he could do that he first would need to see how sullied his name was growing.

As he turned to rise he was already making a mental note of what he needed to pack and take with him. While heading down his hallway Wolfgang was thinking that, even though he had been away a long time, he was willing to bet that even the basics for travel had never really changed.

Suddenly he realized having a little magical power might be a good thing and traveling without some form of magic might not be smart given that he didn't know how dangerous the world might have grown, and so he decided that at least the ten men whom he met and whom he had been talking with might be a good idea to link up with.

If for nothing else so he would have some form of defense while he traveled, but they seemed to be honest and trustworthy.

Returning to the office he sent for them.


All the other Knights had filed out of the room long ago. But the last Knight was just now making his way out of the room after the Queen had finished speaking with him.

"Lord Daniel. Lord Daniel," said a very attractive woman, who seemed to break away from the wall as he exited the room he was just in and approached him.

The woman, who was easily in her late twenties to early thirties, quickly caught up to the somewhat tall man as he exited the audience chamber after being in attendance to the Queen. She had waited and was happy to see him, even though he was the last to leave after exiting the room.

It was a preliminary war council of sorts for a growing problem facing the kingdom. Someone or some group had been attacking the various citizens around the Kingdom and the Queen said that she wasn't going to stand for her subjects to be attacked like this.

The woman who called appeared to be about 5'8 and had a nice figure, even though in the form fitting dress and corset that laced up the back which she had chosen for today made it apparent that time was only just now barely beginning to pull at that lush figure.

But even that still didn't detract from her looks as the plunging neckline also enhanced her somewhat impressive bust line.

As she slowly approached the man her long blonde hair fell in waves down her back and was held in place by an extremely thin hair net with pearls and gems in it. It made the top of her head sparkle and shine

Her brown eyes also seemed to sparkle as she approached and the brown eye shadow over those eyes seemed to help highlight them even more.

When she first called out the man slowly turned and seemed to offer her a warm smile as he looked over at her.

"Ahh yes, Lady Constance. How may I help you?" asked the man in a deep baritone voice.

The lady's smile seemed to grow wider when he acknowledged her.

As she approached she couldn't help but find his 6'2 thickly muscled frame attractive. It didn't hurt that his bright emerald green eyes were only offset by his almost unruly thick curly brown hair. But it could also be argued that his boyish charm was greatly enhanced by the matching dimples on his face that became deeper when he smiled at her.

Unlike all of the others Knights of the Queen, Lord Daniel only wore a half steel breastplate and greaves tucked into high riding boots, that were folded down to mid calf.

Lord Daniel always wore this no matter what he did, instead of the standard plate that was the custom for battles, or livery with his houses coat of arms on it in day to day functions. He also wore underneath the breastplate a short sleeved open tunic.

Also unlike the other knights Lord Daniel normally carried a plain yet very heavy Bastard sword across his back instead of a finely crafted one handed sword at his side like many of his peers.

If he hadn't been the Queen's favorite, and rumored one time bedtime companion, the other Knights may have made an issue of those things.

Even if the rumors weren't true about his involvement with the Queen, he was such a furious fighter that none could match his strength or skill on the field. He proved time after time how no one could match him.

He was second to none as a Knight or in intelligence, writing, riding, and war craft. He was the model of chivalry and grace.

It also didn't hurt that everywhere he went the ladies always licked their lips as he passed. His short sleeved shirts allowed for the muscles in his arms to always be visible and that also caused a stir among them.

He was the only son of his father Lord Collis and as such had inherited all of his lands on his fathers passing at a young age of sixteen. He lost his mother a few before that, and everyone said that his father loved his mother so much if she died that his father would soon follow her into death. Lord Collis lasted barely a season more before he passed.

His mother was from the outer lying area and no one really knew what his father saw in her because of her uncivilized ways, but they all admitted he loved her without reservation. But regardless of his lineage the only thing that all the ladies of the court knew was that they all wanted to be picked as the next Lady of his manor.

All of this flowed through the lady's mind as she quickly closed the distance.

"I was wondering if you could, that is if you didn't have someone already to escort to Count Devi's ball tomorrow night, if you wouldn't mind accompanying me," said Lady Constance in a breathless rush as she tried to get her question out.

While she enjoyed being in his company, something about his presence always made her feel like lighting was flowing through her. She couldn't explain it, but it did. He had an excitement about him and vibrancy that was hard to explain.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.