Rob Jenkins Part III - Cover

Rob Jenkins Part III

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Chapter 8

The days between Beau's Lauderdale graduation party and Beau and Libby's wedding rehearsal dinner hadn't gone as expected. Karen had relit my lust interest and I enjoyed sex with her. I could barely control physical desire for her, but wasn't blinded so much that I didn't recognize that she was working me. The sex was still good, but I knew I needed to have some separation from her. Having her work and live in Mobile was the best idea I had. An occasional overnight sex filled visit was something I thought I could handle and not let my feeling get out of control. I thought I might be able to handle Karen like I had Martha, the whore who had worked hard to become the assistant station manager in Tuscaloosa.

A visit with Dorothy, Freddy, and Howard helped me to reconsider what was important before I went to Lauderdale for Beau and Libby's wedding.

At the rehearsal dinner on Friday, Lib pulled me aside. "We have a problem. Pris is skipping the first big horse show of the season held in Jackson, Tennessee. This year Dr. McIver is president of the Jackson Kiwanis Club, who sponsors the show, so Pris feels badly that she's not able to be a part of it for him. It's a five-hour drive from here."

I didn't ask why a Lauderdale pilot couldn't fly her. I suspected there was more to Lib's request than just a flight. I said, "Of course, I'm at your service. I'll get someone to drive her car up during the wedding; I'll fly Pris up after the reception, and fly the driver back. Is that what you had in mind?"

Lib smiled, "Close, she's one of Libby's best friends. Maybe we can have a little time to talk after the wedding."

And the flight will give Pris and I a chance to get know each other better. Lib isn't subtle. I guess being paired with Pris in the wedding party wasn't enough for Lib.

I went to Pris. "Lib tells me you need to be flown to Jackson after the reception. Flying time from Lauderdale to Jackson should be about an hour and fifteen minutes in my plane. I'll be happy to be your airplane driver and arrange to have your car delivered to Jackson."

Pris said, "I hate to ask. The Jackson Kiwanis Horse Show is at Northside High School this weekend. It's the first big show of the season and Dad's big project in Kiwanis. I missed the last two years because I was in Europe with Libby."

"When do you need to be there?"

"Dad would like for me to give out the ribbons. I need to be there around seven."

"We should have time to be in the pictures after the wedding and make an appearance at the reception."

I called Shirley Shaun's younger brother, Theo. He worked in the summer at the St. Joe plant in Demopolis. After greetings and inquiry about the family, I asked, "Theo, I need a favor. I need for someone to drive a car from Meridian to the airport in Jackson, Tennessee, tomorrow afternoon. I'll pick you up about six-thirty in Jackson and fly you back to Demopolis."

Theo responded, "Sure. Would it be alright if my girlfriend went along? We've never flown. Shirley can bring us to Meridian to get the car right now."

"Of course, bring your girlfriend. We're at the Holiday Inn on Greenbriar Drive. The desk clerk will have the keys in an envelope at the front desk."

I went back to the dinner and told Pris. Pris gave me her keys and told me where her car was parked in the lot next door at the Howard Johnson's. While she called her dad, I moved her car to beside the entrance of the Holiday Inn. I left the keys and an envelope with a hundred twenty-five dollars for Theo at the desk and instructions with the clerk to get me if Theo came before nine.

Just before nine, I saw the clerk at the door to the banquet dining room. I went out and greeted Theo, Shirley, and Theo's girlfriend. Shirley looked tanned and fit. Shirley, Theo and Theo's girlfriend went to Livingston State College. I thanked them and went back to the dinner party.

The rehearsal dinner party broke up at nine. Beau and Libby made an appearance at the Howard Johnson's lounge where the younger group of invited guests were gathered at the night before party the Lauders sponsored. Then Lib, Hub and Jane visited briefly at the Holiday Inn lounge, where their friends had gathered for a pre wedding party for the older group. Jane and Libby had a suite at the Holiday Inn. The guesthouse at Lauderdale Plantation had been turned into a dressing room/beauty shop for the bridal party.

Beau didn't stay long at the Howard Johnson lounge. He returned to Lauderdale. I stayed at the Howard Johnson's and at the party there. I visited with Sadye and her husband. Her husband was a pediatrician with Lauderdale Medical, and Sadye was his RN. She was pregnant and looked very happy.

Sadye said, "It's a good thing Beau went to law school and gave the women a chance to find someone else, or there would be a lot of heartbroken women tonight." I enjoyed catching up with them. They didn't stay long.

I saw a few fraternity brothers and met some of Beau's law school classmates. Many of the women at the party were from Libby's high school and her Ole Miss sorority sisters. Almost all were unmarried, as Libby had graduated a year ahead of her sorority pledge and high school class and most didn't get married until after college. It was a target rich environment for a single man.

Pris, who was a rising junior, introduced me to the sisters from her and Libby's pledge classes and to Libby's friends from high school. They all seemed nice and were excited for Libby, who had never made a secret of her dreams of marrying Beau. I hadn't had alcohol since Lib had asked me to fly Pris.

Saturday morning, all the wedding party and most of the wedding guests made it to the pre wedding breakfast buffet in the Howard Johnson's private dining room, though some looked a little tired. It was a beautiful day. I ate with Pris. We had sausage, French toast, and fresh fruit.

I said, "I guess this isn't much breakfast in comparison to the Le Cordon Bleu?"

She said, "A croissant and a piece of fruit is a big breakfast for the French. It's hard to beat plain cooking, especially if it's at home. We have great cooks at Kappa, but no one is as good as my Mom."

She was chipper. She wasn't affected by little problems that came up. She was dressed in a simple skirt and blouse, wore Wiggins, and had her hair in a ponytail. We had an unhurried breakfast before a bus took the bridesmaids to Lauderdale to get ready. She said, "This is going to be a special day. It's Libby's dream come true and her mother's, too. And I can't thank you enough for offering to take me to Jackson. It has let me enjoy today without feeling guilty for not being a part of dad's big day."

"You're most welcome. I think it's the Lauder's dream, too. Do you need me to take your things to Lauderdale?"

She said, "I can take them on the bus that's taking us to Lauderdale. I'll see you in a little while."

I dressed in a gray vest and a morning coat and took the shuttle to Lauderdale. The outdoor wedding took place on the shaded front lawn of Lauderdale Plantation. Libby looked stunning; Pris didn't look bad, either. The ceremony was brief but very classy.

After the ceremony, there were pictures of the wedding party. Then Beau and Libby hosted a reception for the guests, who included the employees of Lauderdale. A catering firm allowed Lauderdale Plantation staff to be guests at the wedding though the cake and most of the pastries had been made by Lauderdale Plantation cooks in the early morning. Sally's mother, the Lauderdale housekeeper who had helped raised Beau, had the honored serving place. The Lauderdale staff was clearly dressed as guests. Pris and I served the tea. Punch was also served. Libby cut the cake, which was served to the guests.

Pris and I stayed for the toasts and reception but we didn't stay until Beau and Libby left in a Lauderdale plane for New Orleans. Pris changed while I preflighted the plane. We had a pleasant chat on the flight to Jackson. We got into Jackson with fifteen minutes to spare. Pris drove her car to Northside and arrived before the first event of the evening.

Theo had purchased pulled pork sandwiches at the Hut in Jackson for the return flight. The pit barbeque was almost as good as Lauderdale Plantation barbeque. I flew to Demopolis and then went to Lauderdale. I made it in time to have a dance with Libby before she and Beau flew to New Orleans. Beau and Libby had a flight the next day for Paris and a house rented for their honeymoon in the south of France.

I hadn't changed out of formal clothes. And of course, Lib wore me out on the dance floor. I also danced with Jane, Dorothy and Eunice and had a bit of champagne. Lib told us they couldn't use the Greenbrier spelling because of the West Virginia resort. We stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn.

Lib and Jane hosted a breakfast buffet at the Holiday Inn, after which the guests left. By this time, Lib and Jane were exhausted. Lib said, "Jane and I are going to have massages in the guest house and after you and I have a little chat, I'm going to sleep the rest of the day. Chris Waddell called and told me about Karen's employment at the paper and station."

Jane looked at me and said, "I probably won't be into the bank until Wednesday at the earliest."

"You both deserve some time off. It couldn't have been nicer."

Lib looked at me. "If you don't call Pris..."

I called Pris' house and was transferred to the stable.

She asked, "How was it?"

"Very nice, but Lib wore me out on the dance floor. How was the horse show?"

"I can't thank you enough. It was so special. Dad about popped his shirt he was so proud. I'll send you pictures. The best was when I presented the "Best in Show" ribbon to Dad. I hated to leave Libby, but it worked out well. I got the best of both places. What are you going to do?"

"Lib wants to have a mother-son talk, then I'll call and check on my sister-in-law. If everything is all right, I'll fly to New York. Summer classes start Tuesday at Columbia."

I dreaded explaining getting entangled with Karen again with Lib. I was in for a major surprise.

When we were alone on the porch, Lib said, "I understand about Karen, she turns you on big time and you aren't able to handle those emotions like Beau. He learned to handle his lust; Lord knows he had plenty of practice."

"She dropped in on me in Tuscaloosa and I was gone. We were barely in bed before she asked me to forgive her, take her back, and get her old job at WAPI again. I think I disguised how mad and hurt I felt. I ended up treating her like a cheap whore. I couldn't break it off completely; the best I could do is to make her best option to move to Mobile."

Lib said, "While I don't think Karen is the best fit for you, she doesn't deserve to be treated like a cheap whore. Karen's background isn't like your or Beau's. She doing the best she can and doing it quite well considering where she came from. She wants to succeed and she would have pushed you to be more successful, much like Libby will push Beau. Libby and Karen didn't have it as easy as you or Beau; not that Libby doesn't love Beau with all her heart, she had more things to overcome growing up and is a bit more driven than you and Beau. Libby is a good fit for Beau, Karen isn't for you."

I was stunned. Lib had never accepted Karen and to have her defend her so strongly gave me pause.

Lib continued, "If you plan to continue to see her, you must be a gentleman. Don't get too entangled that you are either too involved or too short term in thinking. Neither of you needs a wound. I'm not pushing Pris because I know there needs to be chemistry, but give her a chance. She's as good a fit for you as Libby is for Beau."

I spoke on the phone briefly to Brooke and then flew to Macarthur Airport. I took a car to the brownstone near Columbia. Monday, I rested and caught up with Leon. The bank and law office were closed for Memorial Day.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.