Rob Jenkins Part III - Cover

Rob Jenkins Part III

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Chapter 4

Though it irritated Karen, I had everything packed and moved from Grandfather's apartment to Roselawns. I leased his apartment to Exxon for its new CEO. The yearly lease was one third of what Grandfather had originally paid for the whole building, but what I wanted was to make a mental change from Grandfather's to Roselawns. I wanted the Jenkins Bank to take over most of our building on Wall Street. By the time I passed the bar, I planned for only Jenkins and Jenkins' rainmakers to occupy the firm's Wall Street law offices, and for the office to be used primarily to meet clients, a symbolic link to Wall Street.

The night before Karen and I left to return to Tuscaloosa, we stayed at Roselawns. We got away from Macarthur at a little before nine a.m. We stopped at the College Park Airport and went to the 94 Aero Squadron Restaurant at 11 a.m. I noticed that Caesar salad was on the menu. I had French onion soup and French dip. Karen had a Cobb salad. We were finished and back in the air by noon. It was a nice rest stop and break.

Karen and I flew into the University airfield at four-thirty. Leon was at Gulf Shores, so no one was at the house. As soon as I got in, I called and checked in with Leon, then called Lib and Dorothy to let them know I was in safely. After the long flight, Karen and I relaxed in the Jacuzzi, then went to dinner at the Cypress Inn.

On the way back from the Cypress Inn, Karen said, "I have a room at the Phi Mu house, but with my senior key, I could stay here most of the time, if you want me to. I should eat lunch at Phi Mu. If we were pinned, I'd be exempt from social events; anyway, I need to see my parents tomorrow, and I have to be involved in rush. If I called my parents to come get me now, they'll want to get me tonight. I'd rather stay with you tonight and drive up to see them tomorrow, but I don't have a way."

I know what was coming. I asked, "What kind of car do you want?"

She smiled, "How about a GTO convertible? I think a Corvette is a bit much. What do you think?"

"If the dealer here doesn't have what you want, we can order what you want tomorrow."

She said, "It's going to be a good year."

We weren't too tired for some active sex. I slept spooned against her.

We were up early. Karen was excited to get the car. We were at the Tuscaloosa Pontiac dealer, when it opened. We looked at three cars; a Grand Prix, a Firebird and a GTO. The GTO was a light yellow convertible, with white leather interior, an upgraded Delco radio, and a white top. It was an automatic loaded with all the options. It was on the floor, serviced and ready to go. Karen wanted it, I wrote a check, and it was titled in my name. While the dealer put on the tags, I called New York and had it included on our insurance and got the insurance binder number. Karen drove the convertible to the University and registered it, then she drove to her parents' house in Ensley.

While Karen was with her parents, I went to Fred and Dorothy's for an evening cookout. Dorothy was quite large and due anytime. She said that everything was ready for the baby. Dorothy's colored maid, Sally, arranged for her older sister to come as temporary extra help. Sally and Freddy got along well. Sally had plenty of experience raising white children.

Dorothy and Fred didn't anticipate any unusual problems. Freddy had been prepared for a brother or sister. I got to play with Freddy before he went to bed. I offered to keep him, but Dorothy wanted him to stay at home with Sally.

I asked, "Is there anything I can do?"

Fred asked, "Do you want me to call you when she goes to the hospital?"

"Of course, I want to be there. Do you want me to ask Ania to come up?"

Dorothy said, "I think we have it covered. Sally is really good."

"Leon is a fully trained paramedic and RN. I'm EMT trained. When it's time, call us, and we can take you to the hospital. Leon's van is outfitted for easy conversion to a rescue squad type ambulance. I'll put the things in the van tonight. Leon will be back next week, but I could call him to come back now. He flew down to Gulf Shores, and the van is here."

Dorothy said, "I don't think we should call him back from his break. I have an alert pager that I carry with me. Fred has one, and we could get you one. It might be good if you took me."

"Let's get a couple of pagers tomorrow. I'll give one to Leon."

I continued, "There is one thing I wanted to tell you. Karen will be staying with me at the house most of the time." I told them about Karen.

Dorothy said, "I can tell you're happy. Please be careful."

"I'll try. I seem to act stupid around pretty women. Fred, you don't know how lucky you are."

He said, "I do. I do. Dorothy and Freddy are the best things that ever happened to me."

I got the information to get a couple more pagers and left.

As soon as I got back to the house, I called Karen. She said, "I'll be back tomorrow afternoon. It's been a nice visit. Everyone loves the car. My brother's sixteen, and I let him drive it to the McDonald's. It made his week."

"Would you like to go to The Club tomorrow night?"

She said, "I'd like that a lot."

I called and make a reservation. It took a little over an hour to get there from the house. The sunsets and the TCI blast furnaces at night from The Club were spectacular. I hoped the furnaces were active.

I went to the DKE house and talked with John Sammit and Tiffer Kahm. I changed status in the fraternity to graduate student, which meant I could attend any activities, but was exempt from required activities and meetings. I paid board and dues including social dues.

Since I had registered and paid my law school tuition in December, I knew my class schedule. I got my books before the throngs descended on the bookstore. When I bought the books at the bookstore, I was reminded of the time there with Jeanette.

I called Kappa for Jeanette. The sisters were in work week and were preparing the house for rush. I talked with Jeanette and asked about her family.

Jeanette said, "Strange thing happened, Mom got a promotion and big salary raise at work. You wouldn't have any idea why First National would promote her would you?"

"I'm sure she deserved it. How was your summer?"

"I worked as an accounting intern at St. Joe like last summer. This summer I got to do more things. Everyone says St. Joe is so much better since the new manager came. Shirley says hi. She's on the tennis team at Livingstone State. And Mom loves the new Impala. I got her old car. I took your advice and went out with the guy from Birmingham-Southern. You were right; there is something to be said for nice guys. Anyway, I had a good time this summer."

I said, "I'm glad. Speaking of good time; there's money in your bank account to cover Kappa chapter and social dues, and a little extra for spending money. Have a good time this year."

She said, "It's hard to believe I'm a junior. It's half over. Thanks for making this possible. And now that we're in good shape financially at home, Mom is so much more relaxed. I can't thank you enough."

"I'm happy for you. Karen Kell and I are getting pinned, and I'm going on graduate status at the fraternity. I won't be able to take you to date night. I'll really miss going out with you."

She said, "All the best with Karen. I get plenty of dates now. I'm sure you'll do well in law school."

"Thanks. If you need anything, give me a call."

"I appreciate all you've done. I'm set up pretty well now."

Karen came in about four. "What time are we going?"

"I made reservations for eight. It takes a little over an hour to get there."

She said, "I thought I would wear the black knit dress I got this summer."

"You look beautiful in that dress."

She said, "I need to drop by the Phi Mu house and sign out. I have to be at the house at ten tomorrow for a rush thing."

I set up my study and read a law book. Karen returned a little after five. I wore a Brooks Brothers outfit: a blue blazer, white button down collared shirt, a striped tie of DKE colors, light wool pants, and cordovan leather slip-ons.

We took the convertible with the top up. She told me about the renovations at the Phi Mu house. The public rooms had new furniture, draperies, area rugs, and refinished floors.

At The Club we had a table by the windows. The sunset was dramatic, and the blast furnaces could be seen all the way from Fairfield.

She ordered crème vichyssoise glacée, a small garden salad, and Steak Diane; Karen liked filet mignon and was partial to dishes flambéed at the table. I ordered a New York strip draped with creamy crab sauce, twice baked potato, green beans and a small garden salad. We had hot dinner rolls with the salads. Karen didn't like red wine, so I ordered rosé.

We finished the small plates of salad and the waiter served the vichyssoise. Karen ate a spoon full and said to me, "My soup is cold."

I kept from laughing. "Vichyssoise is usually served cold. Try it, it's good that way."

She ate a couple of more spoonfuls and said, "It's not bad."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.