Thursday's Child
Chapter 27

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

1964 was the year for weddings. Dawn and Sue married their policemen. Kim and Andrew having taken two years to become engaged in May then rushed ahead and married in September. Anita and Terry copied them. Carly and her farmer's son, Joe, became engaged after a mere fourteen moths but did not in fact marry until the spring of next year. Dawn and Sue both left the Damsels. They both wanted part time jobs so that they were able to be with their husbands on their days off which varied from week to week. They continued to visit the children's home. Anita left too. Terry came from Huddersfield and it was too far away to commute on a daily basis. In due course Carly also left. There was plenty for her to do on the farm.

Kim stayed with the damsels. The employment bureau was up and running and Penny, Jasmine and Maureen had reached their twenties and were due to move on. The remaining unattached original Damsels were all now in supervisory roles and therefore not required to leave.

Polly was sixteen in June and joined the Damsels. She and Garry were still devoted to each other. He told her that he wanted to marry her but not until he was earning more.

"Does that mean we're engaged?" she asked.

"No, love. I can't ask you to make that commitment yet."

She hugged him and kissed him lovingly. "You are very sweet and considerate," she said, "and I love you. I'll be waiting for you to ask."

He kissed her back. "I love you too."

"Do you want to take me to bed?"

"Oh, Polly love, don't ask. Of course I do but I'm not going to: at least not until we're engaged properly. It would be taking advantage of you."

Polly nodded wistfully. "OK," she said. She did not tell him that she was taking the pill in the hope that he would make love to her.

She confided in Becca who hugged her. "Bad luck, little sister," she smiled. "I think a lot of it may be that after such a foul father he's determined never to hurt you and, until you both make the commitment to marry, he feels he has to hold back. He's become someone pretty special, hasn't he?"

"Yes," said Polly glumly, "very, very special, blast him."

The following year Garry turned eighteen and was offered a contract by United. He took it. He had played twice for United the previous winter due to injuries. He was now a very good player and had diversified being a useful defender as well as a fast, attacking forward. The pay was not big money and so he kept his carpentry job albeit part time.

In August Kevin Routledge, for whom Garry had substituted the previous winter, came off his motorbike at speed and broke his right leg in several places. It was quite clear that he would be unable to play that season if ever again. Mr Kimmering, the United manager, sent for Garry.

"Garry," he said, "I'd like you to take Kevin's place."

Garry gaped at him.

"Well, Garry?"

"But I'm only just eighteen."

"So what? So was Kevin when he started."

Garry stared at him again and then pulled himself together. "Yes, sir," he breathed and then more loudly, "oh yes please, sir! Oh wow!"

Mr Kimmering held out his hand. Garry took it.

"You deserve a place," went on Mr Kimmering. "It's sad that you've got it under these circumstances but you do deserve it. You're a damned good player and you've worked and trained hard ever since you started with us."

"Thank you, sir."

"Your pay will go up too to full first year 1st XI rate. I'll have a new contract ready for you to sign in the next couple of days."

"Thank you, sir."

Garry left the manager's office and, in the passage outside, hugged himself and then whirled in glee.

"Wait 'til I tell Becca," he thought remembering her words of encouragement when Will Barnes had first taken him on. Then there was a moment of regret as he realised that he had put Becca ahead of Polly, "and her. She'll be thrilled."

He went back to the training. That stopped as everybody wanted to know why he had been called to the manager's office. He told them. They were united in congratulating him.

"Thanks," he managed to say at last. "I'm just sorry that it's at Kevin's expense."

Everyone agreed with him but Will Barnes said, "Don't fret about it, lad. We all come to the end of our careers at some stage and someone else has to step in. What you've got to do is show that you're a worthy successor."

"Yes, Will."

His mates supported that.

He didn't know what time visiting hours ended at the infirmary but he guessed they would be before Polly got off work so he made his way there alone and visited Kevin.

Kevin's leg was encased in plaster and elevated. His wife was sitting beside his bed when Garry came in.

"Garry!" said Kevin in welcome. "How good of you to come and see me!" He introduced his wife. "Have they given you my position?"

Garry nodded.

"Great! I can't think of anyone better."

Garry swallowed in embarrassment. He did not know what to say. All he could do was smile weakly.

"Don't worry, lad," went on Kevin. "If they manage to sort this lot out I'll be back to chase you."

"I hope you do."

Kevin grinned. "Balls! You want that place and you want to keep it. Don't worry, son. I'd be just the same. Just make bloody sure you earn it."

"Yes, Kevin. I will but what if you can't play again?"

"I'll coach and with United if they'll have me. Then I'll be able to chase your arse seven days a week."

Garry could not help it and he laughed. "I can run faster than you," he said.

"Yeah but only in straight lines. You wait, my lad."

Garry sobered up. "I really hope you make it back, Kevin," he said.

"Thanks, Garry. I don't think it'll happen though. There were a lot of splinters and they don't think I'll ever walk without a limp."

"Oh, Kevin, I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, son. Gloria here is delighted. She'll have me there more often and be able to delegate the washing-up."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.