Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 23

Mary had recovered by the time Ray dropped her off. She gently declined his offer to take her out that evening but agreed to be ready to go somewhere at eleven the next morning.

Mary paced up and down in her flat her mind going round in circles. She stopped suddenly.

"Pull yourself together and think, girl," she said to herself.

She made herself a mug of strong tea and sat down at the kitchen table with paper and pencil. She wrote two column headings on it: PROS and CONS. She stared at them and then underlined them. She stared at them again. After a long time she started to write. It was no good. She had written 'Promised not to be selfish' under PROS only to write 'But he might be' under CONS. Then, under PROS she wrote 'He loves me' and then 'I love him'. She scratched them both out and rewrote them in capitals. She stared at them and then underlined them.

"That's it," she thought. "I can't fight it. I don't want to fight it. I want him back. Full stop. End of story."

She hugged herself with joy and then danced round the room laughing like an imbecile.

"I'm happy again, really, properly happy again. I love you, Ray. I love you, love you."

She stopped suddenly. "This happiness and love needs sealing. We need to renew our marriage vows."

She rang Becca. Steven answered the telephone.

"You're lucky, sweetheart," he said. "We've only just come in from riding. I imagine it's Becca you want to speak to."

"Yes please, Uncle Steven."

"Hello, love."

"Becca, I'm going back to him."

"Good! That's wonderful news. I thought you probably would. So what's the plan now? Has he made all those commitments we discussed?"

"Yes but I thought it would be a good thing if we renewed our marriage vows to sort of reinforce them."

"Good idea. In church presumably."

"Yes. I wondered if you had the name and telephone number of your vicar."

"Yup! It's the Reverend Barnesly. Hang on." She leafed through her directory and gave Mary the number.

"Thanks, Becca. I'll be back to you when I've made the arrangements."

She rang the vicar immediately.

"Geoffrey Barnesly!"

"Good afternoon, Mr Barnesly. You don't know me from Adam but I'm Steven Hardacre's niece. My name is Mary Hardacre."

"I do know you by sight. You came in a few Sundays with him and Becca who I had the pleasure of marrying. What can I do for you?"

"Four years ago I eloped to Australia. A year ago, after a prolonged and horrid argument, I left my husband and came home. He came after me a few weeks ago and we've decided to get together again. We've both grown up a lot, particularly since we separated, and I made him think through his commitment to me before agreeing to go back to him. What I would like to do is make our marriage vows again to reinforce those commitments. We didn't keep them the first time round but I want to be jolly sure we do this time."

"I think that's a very good idea indeed, Miss Hardacre. Was your wedding in a church or a registry office?

"Registry office."

"Well this time you'll be making those vows in the sight of God."

"Yes, even more binding."

"That's right. When would you like to do this?"

"As soon as possible, please."

"Normally I have two sessions with the bride and groom pointing out their responsibilities to one another but it seems to me that, as far as you two are concerned, I would be preaching to the converted. I imagine all you want is a repeat of the vows in a short, simple service."

"Yes, please. I'd like Uncle Steven and Becca to be there. They're our only relations. Both sets of parents are dead."

"I see. Well in that case I suggest you all come to Matins tomorrow at half past ten and then we'll do it immediately afterwards. It'll only take a few minutes."

"Oh, Mr Barnesly! Thank you so much. We'll be there."

"Fine. I look forward to meeting you properly and your husband. Goodbye now, my dear."

Mary rang Becca immediately. "Tomorrow after Matins," she said excitedly.

"We'll be there. What about afterwards?"

Mary giggled. "I hadn't given it a thought."

"Why don't we all go to the Yew Tree?"

"Are you sure?"

"As long as you two are happy. Hey, we'll pick you up before the service. Ray should make his own way there."

"OK. Thanks, Becca. Now I must tell Ray the good news."

"What? You make all these arrangements without his knowledge. You deserve a spanked bottom, my lady."

Mary giggled again. "Perhaps I'll get one."

Becca pealed with laughter. "You're a very wicked young lady too."

They rang off to more laughter.

Mary took a deep breath and dialled Ray's number.

"Ray, I can't wait until tomorrow to talk to you. Would you come round?"

"Now?"

"If you can."

"Give me ten minutes."

He was there in eight. Mary was watching the clock. She let him in and sat down opposite him.

"I'd like us to get back together again," she said.

Ray's face lit up and he leapt to his feet. "My darling..."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.