Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 18

Anyone would have thought that Becca and Steven had been separated for three months rather than three days. They clung to each other without a word and both had tears in their eyes when they broke apart. They touched lips then hugged each other tightly again.

"I missed you," they both said together which made them laugh and led to another prolonged hug.

"No cooking tonight, darling. I've booked a table at the Yew Tree."

"Yum! What time?"

"Eight."

Becca glanced at the hall clock. "An hour and three quarters," she said. "Time to make up for lost time."

She pulled him upstairs. She was the aggressor and Steven loved every moment of it. Afterwards they shared a bath. Both behaved thoroughly childishly and laughed themselves silly.

The following morning Becca visited all the work sites. There were three painting jobs underway. Maisie, Heather and Nell were the leaders, Nell having taken over again from Penny. Molly had taken Jasmine on their first gardening job and Jane and Maureen were doing the first cleaning one. Maisie had taken one of the vans as hers was a distant job. Molly had the other one so it was to her that Becca first went. Both girls were in good heart and enjoying the work. Their customer was delighted with the way they were doing things, particularly their tidiness. Jane and Maureen were hard at work too and their client was full of praise for their thoroughness despite the speed at which they were working.

The three painting leaders were all thankful to have full teams again.

"I thought we might have to work on Saturday," said Maisie, "but it looks as though with an extra hour this evening and tomorrow we'll make it."

Becca found Kim and Nicky working together. Clearly the bond that had been formed at the interview had developed.

"Do you know, Nicky plays the clarinet?" said Kim.

"Wow! You didn't have one with your things though," replied Becca.

Nicky shook her head. "The parents wouldn't fork out for one so I was only able to use one of the school ones. It was the only thing I enjoyed at school and I had a very nice teacher."

"It's a shame you can't keep it up."

"Don't worry. I'm going to start saving to get one."

"Good for you."

The visits took most of the morning. After lunch Becca pedalled over to the children's home. As usual she popped her head round Edna's door.

"Would it be all right for me to give a birthday party for Garry on Monday? That of course means Polly as well but I thought I'd get them to invite two more boys and two more girls."

"That's very kind of you, Becca dear."

"I hope it'll help him branch out more. He still really only seems to spend most of his time with Polly."

"That's true. What are you planning to do with them?"

"Feed them chiefly but Steven's got a number of silly games up his sleeve and we'll also get them to dance a bit. I'd like to pick them up at six and get them back shortly after half past nine."

"Fine."

"Thanks, Edna. Would you like to join us?"

Edna smiled and shook her head. "No, dear, thanks all the same. I might act as a bit of a killjoy and I'll be able to get them to tell me all about it afterwards."

Becca nodded understandingly. "Well, I'd better be off and see how Romeo and Juliet are."

Edna chuckled. "Let's hope these two live happily ever after."

It was a girls' hockey afternoon. Becca was glad to see that Garry was among the boys on the touchline and not on his own. Doris and Rene spotted her as soon as she emerged from the building and ran to her to hold her hand. She did not go straight to Garry but stopped to talk to the other children as well. She knew them all by name these days.

"Hallo, Rex," she said to one of them. "What's going on in the mechanics' world these days? Are you still working on the engine?"

"No, we've got the rear axle of an old Austin Ten that we're rebuilding."

"Are you just? Where do you get the spare parts from these days?"

"Mr Openshaw picks them up from breakers' yards."

"Does he? I'd have thought they'd be scrapped as well."

"No, he says they keep the better parts for enthusiasts like him."

"When are you going to come and hear us sing again, Becca?" butted in Lonnie, the boy who had started Garry's interest in the choir.

"I don't know. Have you got anything special coming up?"

"We're going to do Stanford's Te Deum on Sunday week at matins."

"Are you just?" She had no idea what it was. Kim might know. "I'll see if I can come. No promises though."

She moved steadily on with Doris and Rene still clinging to her hands.

"Hello, Garry," she said finally.

"Hello, Becca." There was no doubt of the warmth and pleasure of his smile. "How did the modelling go?"

"Not bad. It's hard work though. You model one garment and then have to hare off and change into something else, get yourself made up again and model that. Luckily there were five girls this year so it was a bit less of a rush. Have you started on a new carving yet?"

Garry nodded enthusiastically. "Mr Dowgill found me some photos of a statue of a discus thrower taken from all round it so I'm doing that now."

"I've joined Garry and Polly," said Ned, another quiet boy.

"Good for you, Ned. What are you doing?"

"A spaniel." He grinned. "I'm also keeping an eye on Garry and Polly."

Garry went puce as Becca pealed with laughter.

"Soppy dates!" exclaimed Rene which caused further laughter.

Becca nudged Garry and winked at him. He smiled despite himself.

The final whistle went and the girls came off the pitch. Polly made a beeline for Garry. The others waved at Becca but they and the children on the touchline drifted off towards the house.

"Time for you to go too," said Becca to the little girls.

"Aw!" they chorused.

Becca bent down. "I want to talk privately to Garry and Polly," she whispered.

"'Kay," they said despondently.

Becca kissed them both and patted their bottoms. "See you tomorrow. Off you go!"

They scampered off. Ned took the hint and followed them.

"Garry, Uncle Steven and I would like to throw a birthday party for you on Monday."

Garry's jaw dropped and his eyes widened. He could hardly believe his ears.

"R-really?" he stuttered.

Becca smiled and nodded.

"Yes, Garry. Really."

"Shit! Oops! Sorry!"

"Whee!" squealed Polly and jumped up and down in excitement.

"I've never had a birthday party," went on Garry.

"Well, now sounds a good time to start," smiled Becca. "I suppose we'd better include Polly, don't you think?"

Polly pulled a face at her and Garry nodded vigorously.

"We'd like you to ask two more boys and two more girls. There's no rush. Let me know tomorrow or Saturday who they are so that I can clear them with Mrs Yates."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.