Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 10

Becca was a few minutes late getting to the football and was gratified to see the look of relief on Garry's face when she did. She was also delighted that he was the first to speak.

"Hello, Becca," he said shyly. "Thanks for looking after me yesterday."

"Not at all," she said giving his arm a friendly squeeze. "How does it feel today?"

"OK. It gives me a jab of pain every now and again."

"That's probably part of the healing process."

As usual a gang of children crowded round her chattering. Two of the little girls held her hands. Garry was silent but did not move away. After ten minutes or so she asked him whether he would like to walk round the field with her. His face lit up.

"Yes, please," he said.

"Can we come too?" pleaded the little girls.

"No, dears. We won't be long."

"I left here in April two years ago," said Becca, "and you weren't here then. When did you arrive?"

"July that year. I didn't know you were here."

"Yes. I hated it. We had a bunch of perverts on the staff."

"I heard about them."

"It's a much happier place now."

"Yeah, it's all right. At least they feed you regularly."

"Didn't your parents?"

"Only if my mum had some money. She had a cleaning job and she'd buy food when she got paid before my dad could pinch it off her. She tried to make the food last all week but my dad wouldn't listen to her and if he wanted to eat something he'd just eat it and belt her one if she tried to stop him."

"Ugh!"

"He's in prison now for beating us both up."

Becca noted that he didn't mention being sexually abused. Male pride?

"Serves him right by the sound of it," said Becca. "What happened to your mother?"

"Hanged herself."

"Oh how awful. Before or after he went to prison?"

"After. She was one of the witnesses at his trial."

"Do you know why she hanged herself?"

"No, not really. She'd nothing left to live for, I suppose. I'd been taken away." His voice tailed off. Becca squeezed his arm sympathetically.

"I never knew my father," said Becca, "and my mother was murdered."

"Shit! How old were you?"

"Five."

"Shit! What are you doing now? You've got smart clothes and all and you talk proper."

Becca told him about Steven and the Damsels.

"He sounds a good bloke."

"He is, Garry. The best. That's why I married him." She smiled up at him.

They walked on in silence for a moment.

"Why have you decided to talk to me?" Becca asked.

Garry shrugged. "'Cos you were there for me yesterday, I suppose."

"Everyone was there for you."

He shrugged again. "Yeah but you held my hand and got the handkerchief to bite on and you came to the hospital with me."

"You didn't give me much choice," she laughed up at him.

He laughed back. Becca was thrilled. It changed his whole demeanour.

They rejoined the group and the two little girls sought out Becca's hands again.

"Are you coming to the Carol Service on Christmas Eve, Becca?" a boy asked.

"You bet. I've never missed one yet."

"We've got a four-part choir this year."

"Wow! Are you in it?"

"Yes, I'm a tenor."

"Brilliant. Have you had to do a lot of rehearsing?"

"Yes, we've done an hour every evening for the last two weeks and I expect it'll be every night for the next ten days."

"Who's teaching you?"

"Mrs Yates."

"Is it too late to join?" asked Garry unexpectedly.

"Dunno. You'll have to ask Mrs Yates."

"OK."

Becca beamed at him and he blushed with pleasure.

As she was leaving Becca knocked on Edna Yates's office door.

"Can you spare me a minute?" she asked.

"Yes, dear. Of course. What can I do for you?"

"I had quite a long talk with Garry this afternoon. I appear to have won his trust yesterday afternoon. I explained that everyone had been there for him but it seems that holding his hand and providing him with a handkerchief to bite on were the deciding factors. Anyway, one of the boys asked me if I was coming to the Carol Service and proudly told me he was in your choir. Garry asked, quite unprompted, if it was too late to join."

"Well I never! If anyone else was asking I'd say yes but not in Garry's case."

Becca chuckled. "Good," she said, "in that case may I suggest you make yourself fairly conspicuous for the next couple of hours? He probably won't be able to pluck up the courage to knock on your door."

Edna laughed. "I will indeed, Becca, and thanks for tipping me the wink."

That evening Becca reviewed the work schedule up to Christmas. It was under control but there was a request for an estimate and she realised with horror that she had not visited the Wainwrights to see that they were happy. It was not as though Maisie had reported anything going astray but it was a duty that Becca had imposed on herself to ensure that clients were pleased with the service they were receiving.

She rang Mr Oldthwaite who had asked for the estimate hoping that he had plenty of free time for a visit. She was unlucky.

"I'm sorry to be a nuisance, Mrs Hardacre," he said, "and if it's too difficult we'll go elsewhere. We've been thinking about this redecoration for a long time and finally decided that we had to get it done before our daughter and her family come over from New Zealand on 20th of January. The trouble is that we're going down to Cornwall the day after tomorrow to stay with our other daughter for Christmas and won't be back until the 27th. I know. We've been dithering but we've heard so many good things about your Damsels that, providing your price is right, we would like you to do the job."

"I think you'll find our price is all right," said Becca. "It's just that we're very busy at the moment. Could I come round at about six?"

"I'd prefer you came earlier. My wife needs to get to bed about seven and I have to feed her first."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.