Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar! - Cover

Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar!

Copyright© 2010 by BikeWriter

Chapter 18

TWO JOYOUS CEREMONIES

Linden's official coronation was held the next day, in a nearby pristine valley, where the base of the mountain formed a natural amphitheater. It was a fine day for an outside event. One little rain cloud had formed way out in the east, but Vandar had noticed it and he easily sent it packing.

The Royal coach was brought to the drawbridge for the women and their entourage. Count Sir Klaron proudly led the womens elite honor escort. King Wildar, Prince Vandar, and their retainers were decked out in all of their finery and rode their Unicorns to the site.

Curiosity was rampant among the troops who'd already been assembled, they'd previously been asked for volunteers to form an army for Calvar and any who hadn't seen Princess Linden wearing a lad's clothing and a Weapon Master's Sash identical to the King's had soon heard of it!

Linden was handling the tension well, though she was apprehensive about how the army's warriors would react to the current events. Linden jested to her retinue, "I don't want to hear later that you Girls have gossiped to anyone about how nervous I am!"

"Don't worry, Dear. You'll soon grow accustomed to this added pressure." Queen Camden confided.

"I never would." Lady Kirsta interjected. Kirsta was almost overwhelmed just from being in Linden's party!

"Yes, Kirsta, but I recall the first time I saw Linden." Camden reminisced. "She had undergone an adventure that would have daunted many a brave warrior, but she came through it much stronger. I admired that precious little Child so very much!"

Linden held Camden's hand tighter in gratitude. "Thank you, Mother. You always know precisely the right thing to say to bolster my spirits."

"That ability comes from being in our family business for so many years." Camden answered.

"Posh, Mother. Father has told me you've been Zuldar's ultimate authority on tact and diplomacy since you married. I think you were just born to rule."

"Well, so were you, Dearest. We two have a lot of Royal blood in common and other than a few misguided fools, you haven't an enemy in the world. You'll do fine, Darling." After glancing out the coach window, she said, "Here we are!"

Their men, who were wearing their most resplendent clothing, aided them in alighting from the coach. Linden was wearing her prized Weapon Master's Sash over a beautiful white gown. King Wildar led both Camden and Linden to thrones that had been placed to either side of a small table.

The King then raised his head and looked around at his men and the muted whispers of a thousand warriors quieted. "I suppose you have all heard rumors about strange goings on in the Castle." He told the men. "That is the reason Princess Linden has requested that this ceremony be held here, before you, the men who will perhaps be affected by them the most!"

Wildar waited until the appreciative murmurs ebbed then he resumed. "You will have noticed that Princess Linden wears the Sash of a Weapon Master, this sash was awarded to her by me, last Earth cycle. She won it solely on her own merit while disguised as a young lad and using the name, "The Avenger of Calvar!" The roars of the men resounded through the valley. Many of them had witnessed the famous incident, and all of them had heard tales of the superlative skill Count Sir Klaron's anonymous applicant had shown!

"I didn't suspect a thing about her testing, though I did happen to win ten bags of gold from Lord Lamdor, and another two from others by wagering on her success!" The King added. This testimony to their King's gambling skill added greatly to the admiring mens enjoyment!

"I have had the great honor of having held the post of Protector of Calvar since the Martyr's deaths of my beloved Cousin King Amadar and his Queen Margo. We have fostered their Child, Princess Linden, who has become more precious than life to Queen Camden and me and who is betrothed to wed our Son, the Cub, as some of you have called him."

Again, the King paused to wait for the acclamations to subside. "I am before you today to proclaim that the Independent Kingdom, or I should say Queendom, of Calvar will live again!"

The men again roared their approval. The King lifted a bejeweled crown from the table before him, he motioned for Linden to come forward. She raised her gown and went to her knees before him on a rug that had been brought from the coach. "This is the last time you'll have need to bow before me, Dearest Daughter." Wildar said, just loud enough for Linden to hear. His massive hands fumbled at taking the light Tiara from her head. When he placed the priceless Crown on her head, she reached up to secure it and settled it more comfortably.

"Arise, Queen Linden of Calvar. You'll never bow to another again!" As Linden rose to her feet the Army roared their acclaim! Many of them who'd fought under her Father and, like Sir Klaron, had been allowed to wear Calvar's colors on their sleeves, or over their heart, now waved them jubilantly!

Count Sir Klaron was exultant. He rushed before Linden and thrust the deadly points of his twin swords deep into the ground, then he went down on his knees before her. Tears of pride and joy in Linden's and his fulfillment of her Birth Parent's wishes left streaks down his face!

Linden reached for Count Sir Klaron and raised him to his feet. She hugged his big, handsome form to her. "We did it, Klaron. Thank you!" She shouted. "Thank you so very much, dear Klaron. You accomplished it for Father and Mother and Calvar!"

"And for you, Dearest Queen, for you!" He asserted.

"My dear, dear, faithful friend, I've got something for you." She suddenly remembered. Lady Britt brought her a Hero's flower garland, much more sturdily made than the last one she'd given Klaron.

The old friends had a good laugh at this precious memory of their hardships during earlier days. Then Linden looked squarely at him for a moment and smiled at him through her tears. She then turned to the rest of her Family. By the time she'd finished speaking to everyone in the Family group, the troops were still cheering and discussing the momentous event!

The charismatic Linden walked out among the men accompanied by her Family. She graciously accepted their congratulations and goodwill. She thanked them all for their valorous performance during their forced march out to Vandar's rescue. They had all seen her accompanying the King in his inspections during their trip and they knew the pain she'd been enduring then.

One of the men who had seen her win her Sash asked her about the famous aggressive charge she had made during that drill before the Guild, with his old friend, the legendary Sir Klaron. She borrowed his sword and another man's, then she demonstrated the move, all except her backward flip, that is. She told them that she'd have to show them that tactic when she wasn't wearing a gown and a Crown!

"I'll be lucky if my entire army doesn't volunteer to go with Linden!" Wildar remarked proudly in an aside to his own Queen.

After they'd mingled with the men for a period of time, Linden remarked to Vandar. "Father has said our Marriage would have favorable political results, Dearest, and we've got most of our Friends here and a thousand witnesses..."

Vandar didn't quibble for a moment. "A Queen can do anything, whenever she wishes, if it's in the best interests of her Monarchy. I'll Marry you anytime, let's do it now! Father could officiate."

They walked over to their Family and Friends, hand in hand. Linden spoke to Wildar, "Father, we've decided that we've waited long enough. Will you marry us now?"

"Certainly, Dear." Wildar was ecstatic! "If you want to do it now, I'll announce it to the troops."

"No, Father. I am now the Queen of Calvar, I will announce it in the Calvar tradition, by catching his mount!" Linden told him. She turned to Sir Gannon. "Sir Gannon, would you please release Zad from his tether?"

Big Sir Gannon was beaming happily. He bowed deeply and kissed Linden's hand in adoration, he clapped Prince Vandar on the back, and he went over and untied Zad. He tied the new reins onto Vandar's saddle and turned Zad loose. Zad ran around the entire gathering, he kicked up his heels and bucked with youthful exuberance at having been set free unexpectedly.

This exhibition served both to get the attention of everyone and to settle Zad down. After he had loosened up, he started looking for his Friends, as Linden had known he would. "Come here, Zad. Come on, Boy." Linden called loudly to him, he threw up his fine head and looked for her. Zad caught sight of Linden and ran swiftly to her side. She patted him fondly while everyone in the gathering cheered her!

"What sort of ceremony do you wish to have, Queen Linden?" Wildar asked, as Sir Gannon secured the Unicorn. She clasped Vandar's hand, and lifted their hands to Wildar.

"Simply give us your blessing and witness that your Children are One, Father." Linden told him. King Wildar laid his big hand on theirs in witness. He gave them his verbal blessing as tears of love streamed into his wild beard. "May the Stars watch over the Marriage of my beloved Children forever!"

Queen Camden tearfully blessed them next and then their Friends, and then they went before the warriors. Linden motioned the men forward and asked for their blessings for their Marriage over their clasped hands. The two of them stood while the whole of the army filed by, one by one, to lay a rough hand on their clasped ones. All of them gave them words of congratulations and admiration along with their blessings!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.