Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar! - Cover

Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar!

Copyright© 2010 by BikeWriter

Chapter 8

Vandar retired to his lonely suite where he lay awake most of the night yearning for his Linden. He pictured her lying serenely in her soft bed. She would be dressed in soft feminine robes and dreaming only of him! Sometime in the early morning he finally dropped off to sleep and dreamed of her!

From the moment when she and Vandar openly declared their love to their parting, the night had been like a fantastic dream. As Vandar had suspected they would, her Friends subjected Linden to a grilling. They wanted her to report the young couple's every whispered confidence and endearment.

There was also speculation that there had been some Magic worked at the ball. The Ladys swore Linden and Vandar had Levitated during their first dance! The other girls then reported their romantic interludes of the evening. Some of them were racier than others. The time flew and before they knew it, it was time for them to prepare for the farewell breakfast with Vandar and his escort.

The fresh and perky look was difficult for the girls to attain that morning. Even Linden's stamina was strained to the limit. Though she was fatigued she still felt the euphoria of last night's Magical feeling.

Early that morning Sir Gannon threw back the window coverings in Vandar's rooms and shouted. "Arise, my gallant Prince. Our trusty steeds are waiting to be saddled. We are off to the Endless Sea. Adventure and glory await us!"

Prince Vandar groaned, grabbed desperately for a pillow, and tugged it over his weary head. "I don't want to go. I'll stay here and bravely defend the women and the Key to the King's Royal Wine Cellar. Wake me and give me your full report the instant you return!"

Sir Gannon snatched the pillow from Vandar's desperately clutching fingers and began to flog him unmercifully with it as he roared. "Get up. Arise, you dastardly varlet. How dare you masquerade as my valiant Prince? Tell me what you've done with brave Prince Vandar immediately!"

Vandar leaped up with a savage war cry and caught Sir Gannon low in the midriff with his shoulder, he raised him off his feet, then whirled and dropped him onto the couch. This move still didn't hush the indomitable Knight. "Ah, good." He yelled. "The evil enchantment has been broken. My own true Prince has returned!"

"Alright, Gannon. I'll get dressed." Vandar reluctantly gave in. "But, you'll cease that infernal shouting if you value your wretched life!" The Prince was trying to cover with words his incredible amazement that he had gotten Sir Gannon off of his feet! Sir Gannon was widely famed as one of the two best wrestlers and brawlers in the Realm; he was rated second only to the King himself!

Vandar stepped into some riding leggings, he pulled a fresh tunic over his head, and then he slipped his feet into his riding boots. He splashed his face with cold water from a bowl on one of his tables and accepted the soft towel Gannon handed him and used it to dry. He ran a stiff brush through his hair a couple of times and he was ready to go.

Vandar glanced quickly at the reflection frame to ensure that he had missed nothing in his haste. Just for an instant, through the swirling mists, he saw the blurred reflection of a gaunt, wounded wretch with bloody clothing and haunted eyes. Vandar turned to look behind him to see where the poor man was. There was no one there. Vandar thought idly to himself that he'd have to ask Xandar to adjust the Magic mirror.

The plan for the morning was that Vandar and the ten-man escort would break their fast with the King and Queen before leaving. All of their gear had been stored in the stable and the livery hands would have had one of their young Children catch the Unicorns and would be busily grooming and saddling the steeds by now.

Vandar and Gannon went to the main dining hall to find the other nine of the escort already there. Their choice of wine, ale, or a fortifying drink of hot roasted barley broth had already been served to the men.

Sir Gannon called the men to attention as they entered the room. Vandar told them to be at ease, and then he jested with them. "All courtesies will be relaxed as soon as we are in the field. If we run into any of those rebels from Calvar, I'd just as soon have them think I'm only a page and attack the largest of us first. We all know how much Sir Gannon loves a fight!" He threw a biscuit at Sir Gannon and earned some amused laughter from the men for his joke.

The Princess's entourage met the King and Queen coming from the Queen's rooms and the amazing Sir Klaron had been totally in character standing at ease outside Linden's rooms, he looked as alert and rested as ever. After affectionate greetings were exchanged, they proceeded to the dining hall.

The King, Queen, Princess Linden and her friends arrived at the dining hall and everyone stood and bowed until they were seated. The kitchen staff began bringing out steaming planks piled high with succulent roast venison, fowl, and pork, surrounded by heaping mounds of potatoes, onions, and garlic. Huge slabs of yeasty, fresh-baked bread and vast bowls of fresh-churned butter also accompanied the feast.

"Ah, a break fast fit for a King, indeed!" Wildar complimented the hovering kitchen overseer as he helped Camden to the small serving she allowed herself, then fell to with a will. The King was a trencherman whose appetite was greatly admired by everyone who knew him.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.