Robert Jenkins
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

I knew Lib was right. Dorothy and I were not good at hiding our feelings. We needed a diversion. I called Sadye.

"I need a favor; it's important."

Sadye said, "Of course."

"I need you to come to the cookout as soon as you can and act like I'm very special this evening."

She said, "I have a date for a pledge swap and a pledge meeting tonight."

"Can you get out of them?"

"I'll say my scholarship depends on meeting with the Lauders. I'll just get fined. I'm sure Kara will help me.

I said, "I'll cover the fine."

"I won't have to act much ... Don't worry; I'll be on my best behavior. I guess you need me ASAP."

I went back to the group. "I need to pick up my date. Professor McWilliams and his wife should be here soon."

I drove to DZ. Sadye came down. She was dressed conservatively for her.

"Thanks; you look very pretty." I gave her a twenty-dollar bill. "Will this cover the fine?

"I called my escort and told Kara. It won't be a big problem. This is more than the fine will be."

"Keep it."

It wasn't from DZ to my house. As we parked in front of the house and walked toward the house, Colonel and Karen Kell arrived in Colonel's car. We waited and walked in together.

I introduced Sadye. Dorothy gave me a hurt look, but then smiled. She whispered, "Was I too obvious?"

"I'm afraid we both were. Do you think Fred noticed?"

Colonel introduced Karen, who looked stunning. She was also very pleasant.

When Colonel and I were in the kitchen alone, he said, "You owe me big time for this. And you are going to owe Karen too."

I went to Sadye. Lib was talking with her. Lib said, "I hadn't met Sadye, but I knew who she was. You're mother's going to school too isn't she?"

"She's in the junior college's RN program in Meridian. My sister and I are both in the BSN program here. Kara's a junior."

Lib said, "I remember. You and your sister are going to school to be nursing supervisors."

"Yes ma'am. We have Lauderdale scholarships now and will work for Lauderdale after we graduate."

Colonel and Karen came over. Lib asked Karen, "What are you studying?"

"Piano. I'm a music major."

Lib said, "I envy you. I wish I could play."

Karen said, "All the practice makes having a social life difficult."

Lib said, "As pretty as you are, I'm sure it's not a major problem."

Professor McWilliams joined us at five. His wife was very pretty. She was younger than Lib.

I grilled steaks and we had ribs from Dreamland. Everyone liked the McWilliams. She was fun and the Professor's dry wit kept everyone in jovial mood.

I took Sadye back soon after we ate. At the door, I said, "I really appreciate you coming tonight. You were perfect."

"You're welcome. I enjoyed meeting the Lauders and your family. I hope it helped; whatever it was."

Juniors could stay out later on weeknights than freshmen, so Karen had later hours. Karen and I visited while Colonel and the Professor talked about Colonel's dissertation.

I really liked Karen, and felt a little sorry that Colonel wasn't serious about her. I noticed Lib stayed near Dorothy. It seemed she wanted to keep Dorothy and me apart. Dorothy, Eunice and Brooke came over where Karen and I were sitting.

Brooke said to me, "Lib wants to talk with you."

I went to Lib. She said, "You need to talk with Fred. I can tell Hub is talked out. Is there work Fred can do with you? You're responsible for this situation." She gave me a mother's look.

Professor McWilliams and Colonel finished their conversation, and then the McWilliams left. Lib, Colonel, and I said goodbye to the McWilliams.

Lib said, "Beau, you and Rob talk with Fred!"

I went to Fred. "How's the engineering school?"

"It's doing well. My classes are going much better than last year. If I can get a couple of publications accepted, I'll be set."

Colonel asked, "You're a civil engineer? Are you a P.E.?"

I asked, "What's a P.E.?"

Fred answered, "Professional Engineer. It's a license that allows an engineer to sign engineering documents, like a construction site plan."

I asked, "Could you work on some of the sites Dorothy was talking about?"

Fred said, "Not if Dorothy were directly involved. I'm not sure how far she has to be from involvement in the project for me to be able to offer an opinion. If she has any financial or profit interest, I know I couldn't sign them."

Colonel said, "Conflict of interest related to spouses sounds like an interesting topic for a paper?"

Fred said, "That might be interesting, but I'm not very knowledgeable about legal matters."

I called to Will, "Will, I have a question."

Will came over.

"Colonel suggested to Fred that a paper on husband/wife conflict of interest, using the fact patterns of him working with us on site plans, might be publishable in an academic journal. How could we find out under what circumstances Fred could sign, as a Professional Engineer, on one of our projects?"

Will said, "Mr. Lauder would be much more knowledgeable that than I am."

Hub said, "The best way would be to get a legal opinion from an attorney who is a specialist, and then submit it to the professional society of civil engineers. It's too late today, but I could have someone check on who would be best attorney specialist tomorrow."

I asked, "Fred, would you be interested in doing site work on our projects?"

He said, "I would love to work on it part-time, but I wouldn't want to give up my university position."

Colonel said, "If you could generate an article, it would be time well spent investigating whether you could offer an opinion."

Fred said, "I'm not the best writer."

I said, "I'm pretty good at specialty use writing. I could edit a draft."

Colonel offered, "I could look it over after you and Rob have it in good form."

I said, "Colonel is the best writer at the University. If he couldn't polish it and make it shine, no one could."

Fred said, "I could make flowcharts, diagrams and provide a good decision tree illustration. I think it could work."

Will asked, "Are you licensed in Alabama?"

"I am in Missouri; it won't be a problem getting licensed in Alabama, but I need to get the opinion before I do any project work."

Hub said, "I'll have our law office call first thing in the morning and contact the best specialist in our area."

Will and Fred talked about the different fact patterns with respect to Dorothy's involvement.

Lib and Hub said their goodbyes until Wednesday. Lib said to me, "I need to talk to you in Fairhope."

Colonel took Hub and Lib to the airfield, Karen left with Colonel. Fred and Dorothy left when the Lauders did.

Grandfather said, "You be very careful. With Dorothy, you're playing with fire. On a positive note, Professor McWilliams was most complimentary of your writing. He says you'll do well in law school."

Brooke changed and came to the breezeway. "You want to talk while I'm in the Jacuzzi?"

I knew it was a rhetorical question. I got a pitcher of ice water and glasses for us.

She got in the tub. "Dorothy is nice. She's not the best match for you, but she is nice. Have you thought about what you're going to do about her, when you leave Tuscaloosa? Poor Fred can't compare to you."

I went to the dressing room and put on trunks and got in with her. The stall didn't work. She asked, "Well?"

I said, "I think she's better off than when we met and will be even better in five or six years when I leave."

Brooke shook her head. "I'm not sure of that. Anyway, Sadye's a live wire. I sensed that Colonel knows her well too."

"He introduced us, but he's not involved with her now. I really like her spirit."

Brooke laughed, "And her body has nothing to do with your interest? I was afraid she might catch fire."

I smiled. "Busted; she does have a fine body. She's a survivor too. When she goes to a party, she makes it a fun party. She knows we don't have a long-term future. If you can believe it, I've toned her down over since mid-term."

"Are you going out with anyone else?"

"No, Dorothy and Sadye were enough for me. I'm only seeing Sadye now."

Brooke said, "Karen is a classic beauty. She's a little quiet, but I liked her. This would be an overwhelming crowd to be introduced to cold. Is Colonel serious about her?"

"Serious for Colonel, but not really serious. He says she perfect, but that he's not ready to settle down; I'm not sure that's it. You tell me Saturday."

She frowned but didn't ask for an explanation. "I'm really happy you have a friend, but I wish you were home. Will makes Grandfather uncomfortable pushing for change. Grandfather surprised Will with his comments earlier. Still, I know this Florida thing will cause big problems for them."

"I don't know enough to help. I've sensed that Grandfather is uneasy."

Brooke said, "I don't know what to do. Do you really like it down here? Even Tuscaloosa is a bit rough."

"It's more home than Long Island. Yale wasn't for me. Carolyn needed to move on and for me to move on too. I like the pace here, and Thornton and Colonel are the best friends I've ever had. I hope I'm as lucky as Will and can find someone like you."

"You're sweet. I hope you know that you're always welcome at Roselawns. You can't know how much I appreciate that you gave it to us. I think Roselawns will be perfect for us; that is if the renovations are ever done."

"How's Erin?"

"She's a big help. We are in the mainhouse. I don't know what I would have done without her. She's good company too. I go down to Roselawns to do social things and the Junior League. Will golfs some at the club there. I know we're still honeymooners; I hope we don't change too much."

"Roselawns and a baby will keep you busy."

"I've got to interview au pairs and housekeepers when we get back. Have you seen your mother?"

"She doesn't know who I am. I'm glad we have someone good to be with her. Mother had au pairs who spoke French and German to us. I guess they don't have wet nurses now?"

"I don't think so. I'm relaxed in here. This Jacuzzi is good for the muscles, but any more and Will would think he married a prune."

I helped her out of the tub and hugged her. "I'm so happy you're in the family."

She smiled and went into the dressing room dried off and changed into a robe.

I exercised and went up and read my class assignments. I found sleep difficult. I couldn't get Will's plans out of my mind.

Tuesday morning, I got up early and went to class. I got out of class at two. Brooke had fixed sandwiches for us to eat on the plane. Will had made a trip to the airfield while I was in class, so that we were able to take the remaining luggage to the airport in one car.

As soon as I got home, we left for the airport. I left the Caprice at the airfield. Thornton volunteered to take it back to the rental agency. We boarded as soon as we got to the plane. The Lauderdale pilot had it ready to go.

Grandfather said, "This is much nicer than the other plane."

"It's a twin engine plane and a lot more expensive. I'm not licensed to fly her."

The pilot, who was also an instructor pilot, invited me to sit in the right seat. The Aero Commander was sweet plane. I went through the take-off checklist with him.

Outside of Tuscaloosa, I said, "Most of the hardwood forest below is in the Talladega National Forest. St. Joe lands are mostly in pine."

We ate on the plane. It was a nice flight. We cruised at almost two hundred miles an hour. I asked the pilot to fly us over Gulf Shores on the way in. He flew down the bayside to Gulf Shores and came back over Foley. We landed about three-thirty at Fairhope Muni Airport.

Billie had left a car for us. We loaded the luggage into the car and I drove us through downtown Fairhope on the way to the bayhouse.

Brooke said, "Fairhope looks like that there are some cute places to shop. It's kind of like the Village near the Hamptons house."

As we got to the house, she said, "I love the house. It's so Old South looking. And the porch looks like a nice place to sit. It's totally different than the Hamptons."

I said, "It's comfortable. I guess that's what I like about it most."

I put Grandfather's things in the downstairs bedroom. I helped Will bring in their things and take them to an upstairs bedroom.

We gathered on the porch and had soft drinks. Grandfather said, "It is peaceful here."

"Do you want to go to Grand Hotel for supper? If you don't want to go to the hotel, there are some seafood places or I can get takeout and bring it back here?"

Grandfather said, "Let's go to that nice looking hotel just down from here. Have you been there?"

"That's the where I stayed when we came down the first time. It has a nice restaurant."

I called and made reservations for seven-thirty.

Grandfather said, "I think I'll take a nap. I saw golf clubs. I bet Will would like to get in nine before dark. Since you're on the eastern edge of the central time zone, sunset is later."

I said, "Sure, He might get in eighteen. I doubt if many people are playing this late. He can play at Lakewood. It's very close by. Brooke, would you like to walk around downtown?"

She asked Will, "Would you like to play? Bobby and I can walk around downtown."

"I've love to play a couple of rounds while we're down. Courses at home are closed."

I called and talked to the pro at Lakewood. Will took my clubs and went.

I drove Brooke downtown. We parked and walked through the downtown area. I showed her the building I was renovating to rent to upscale shops. We looked in some artsy shops and stopped at a bakery. We got hot tea and pastry. It was pleasant enough to sit outside.

"It's peaceful and quaint." She sipped her tea. "I hope you will go out. You need to date."

"I don't see Dorothy anymore; Sadye comes on Sunday. I'm not active socially otherwise."

"I understand. And they were both very attractive, but I hope you will start regular dating soon."

"Yes mother."

Brooke smiled. "I wouldn't say anything if I didn't love you. I feel sorry for both of them. Sadye understands, but I'm not sure about Dorothy. Poor Fred doesn't compare with you on any level; very few men can. You have to be very careful."

She took a bite of pastry. "This is good. I have to watch what I eat. I don't want to put on more weight than I have to." She sipped her tea and smiled. "People like you, Colonel, and Will have such advantages: money, looks, social skills. Be careful you don't destroy relationships that women can keep."

"All the women who go out with Colonel know the score when they go out. Colonel really likes women. He doesn't mislead or force anyone. They line up for him. Our sweetheart is in a top sorority. She laughs about all her sisters who ask about Colonel. Most comment on how scandalous he is and then want her to introduce them to him."

Brooke said, "I'm trying to say; you have to be responsible. Women don't always do what's in their best interests. You have to be conscious of what you're doing."

"I think they want to be with a player, even if it's only once."

She said, "That maybe okay unless you are breaking up a marriage or relationship; or one's that developing. How would you feel if you broke up Dorothy's marriage?"

"I worried about that. I didn't want to break them up. She and I've talked about it."

She focused her gaze on me. "And we both know it's your child she's carrying."

"We don't know that!"

She didn't reply for a few seconds, but she maintained eye contact. Then she very softly she said, "I know Dorothy thinks it is. She didn't tell me directly, but I know that's what she thinks. She defers to you more than Fred. She loves you."

I nodded.

"You're better than that Bobby." She took my hand.

I didn't say more. I thought about Brooke and Will. I bet Brooke wasn't the first one who thought she could land Will. Some of them probably thought after they had sex, he would be hers. And some women are like Sadye; they want to have a few flings with players before they settle down. Colonel draws them like a candle draws moths. He doesn't target innocent virgins; well, maybe he did in high school, but now he likes women, and women like him. Women want him to make love to them. I think Thornton and Eunice are the exceptions; they knew in high school it was true love.

On the way to the car, we walked passed an old vacant hardware store building in very bad shape. Brooke said, "That is an eyesore; you should buy it and renovate it. It would help the area and make your property more valuable."

I nodded.

Grandfather was on the porch sipping hot tea when we got back.

I said, "We meant to be back before you awoke."

He said, "I'm enjoying sitting here. I really like it here."

"Why don't you stay here this winter? I'd come down on the weekends."

"I'll think about it. How was your walk?"

Brooke returned from the bathroom and picked up on his question. "It was nice. I think Bobby could help to make it into a really special place."

"She wants me to buy an eyesore and turn it into an antique shopping building."

Grandfather smiled. "I guess you better get on it."

"I'll call Dorothy."

Brooke said, "I wish Will were that well trained." She smiled.

I went into the den and called Dorothy.

I asked, "How are you doing?"

"Okay. I hope there's not a problem?"

"Brooke thinks I should buy the old hardware store building in downtown Fairhope and renovate it."

"Do you want me to check on it?"

"Please. Can you talk?"

"Fred's in the garage. We looked at houses this morning. He, no we, are trying process yesterday's meeting. We've never been around anything of that scope and are still in shock. We were very impressed with Will and I understand now about what you mean about him being ambitious.

"I really like the Lauders and Brooke. And your grandfather is a jewel. I hope I can hold up my end of the responsibilities you've given me. I feel like I'm in over my head. My life has completed changed since I met you."

"I know what you mean. Sometimes, I think I just want to go to law school, open a little practice in Fairhope and live off the income from my trust.

"I don't have any concerns about you doing the job. Your ideas are solid. You've done better than I could've. I want us to be able to grow into what we are doing and I want you to be a part of it."

"I'll do my best. And I appreciate your interest in me, my situation and the house. You knew it was important to me. Now I better understand why such things are small potatoes to you."

I said, "I wouldn't say that. You are important to me. I want you to have a nice house and that it's protected so it's yours if things go bad. Did you see anything you liked?"

"Fred liked the large contemporary house near the country club. You may not remember it. We looked at one near it."

"I think I remember it, a lot of glass? What's it like on the inside?"

"Very nice. An architect built it for himself. It's very well designed. But it's a little over priced and on very large lot. The lot has a little stream running though it."

"Good house arrangement for children? Will the stream be a hazard for children?"

"Neither is a problem, and the elementary school is the best one in the area."

"You don't like it?"

"I like it; I don't think you would."

I said, "If you and Fred like it, make them an offer. As long as you and Fred like it."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.