Robert Jenkins - Cover

Robert Jenkins

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Chapter 5

I flew to New York from Birmingham by way of Atlanta. I tried not to think about Mary. My heart hurt more than my leg. I was worried about Thornton and. I really wasn't looking forward to my assignment at Ft. Dix. I had almost a year left on my enlistment, followed by a year in the active reserves and then three more years in the inactive reserves. By the time I'm released from active duty, I should be really ready to go to college. I hope I don't get sent off to someplace dreadful.

Richard and a driver were at the airport. I changed into my khaki uniform in the limo on the way to Fort Dix. I reported in at a little after ten p.m., although I wasn't required to report until 11:59 p.m. I wore khakis with the wreathed blue long rifle and three ribbons: for the Purple Heart, Silver Star and Bronze Star. I gave my orders to the Duty NCO. The sergeant sent for the Field Grade Officer of the Day. A SFC assigned me a room in the transient junior NCO barracks and told me to report to the hospital at 0900 the next day. The hospital did physicals after troop sick call. The Field Grade Officer of the Day came out.

The Major said, "Sergeant Jenkins, I was told to look for you. A car will take you to the transient barracks and pick you up at 0800. You may eat at the hospital. Until your physical is completed, you won't be assigned to a unit. You're awaiting orders."

"Yes, sir.

The duty NCO's driver took my overseas bag and drove me to the barracks. I set an alarm, went to the latrine, and got in bed. I couldn't get Mary off my mind. The Mellaril helped me get to sleep.

My primary MOS was infantry squad leader. There wasn't much need for an infantry squad leader who couldn't go back to Vietnam and had a profile that meant that he couldn't even walk unaided. I hated the thought of being casual and pulling duty until my enlistment was up. I had heard how much the Army hated Congressional and Presidential interest and I doubted if I would get any breaks or favors. I had no idea what would happen, but I suspected it wouldn't be good. Regardless, I was way ahead because of Grandfather's influence; a leg and a better functioning arm ahead. I had come to accept that the Army would never admit that I was the one wronged.

At least as a hard five sergeant, I won't get the worst duty until I get orders; I'd probably pull junior NCO night duty every night and weekend until DA gives me orders. I hope I'm not transferred to a Spec5 clerical job. It's good the company clerk MOS was not added to my record. I need to find out if I can get an early out to go to college. I figure they have to assign me somewhere where I can get physical therapy. If I took a college class while I'm on post, would that keep my out of the worst duty?

At the Fort Dix Hospital, I was given a complete physical. I listed Mellaril as the only prescribed medication I took. I was surprised when I had to have a urinalysis and blood test. After the complete routine exam, an Army doctor, a Captain, checked my leg and arm.

He asked, "Any swelling or throbbing?"

"I'm not able to stand on my leg for any length of time without throbbing, but I haven't had swelling lately."

"Any pain or swelling in the arm?"

"My arm's motion is restricted and if I go too far I have pain. I'm weak, but haven't had swelling. I haven't pushed it. I was told I couldn't start physical therapy or do much for three more weeks."

I was surprised they had my updated medical files from Walter Reed. I had a copy of my medical file with me in case they didn't.

"The Chief of Surgery will examine you." The doctor didn't make any comments. He wasn't friendly at all.

I dressed and followed a PFC to the Chief of Surgery's office. The PFC took the examination records of the doctor, who had given me the physical, to the surgeon's office.

I waited twenty minutes to see the chief surgeon, a full colonel, and then I was sent to an examining room.

The Colonel said, "You have an unusual file. I'm interested how you got treatment."

I said, "The Army medical liaison officer on the hospital ship knew my brother in college. I think he got word to my brother. The family has some business interests in Mississippi and New York. My grandfather talked to Senator Stennis and both New York Senators. I really didn't have anything to do with it, but I was fortunate he did it. There were about to take my leg."

He said, "It worked out for you. That shouldn't have happened. I've never seen a by Direction of the President before or heard of one for something like this. I heard it really shook some people up over at Bethesda."

He paused as if he was considering what to do with me. "Let's get back to you."

He examined the incisions on my thigh and arm. "They are healing nicely."

He asked me a few questions about pain, swelling, strength and range of motion. "I doubt if more surgery will help you. You are going to need quite a bit of rehab."

"My leg doesn't bother me as much as before the last operation. I have better feeling in my arm, but not much strength."

The doctor nodded. "We have a few options. Let's discuss which you would like. Then I can tell you what I can recommend." He was no longer stiff.

I nodded.

He asked, "You were drafted. Do you plan to separate when your enlistment is over?"

I said, "Yes sir. I plan to return to college."

He hesitated then said, "I can recommend your immediate separation pending medical discharge. Do you want the other options? They would only be operative if you wanted to stay in."

I answered, "Immediate separation sounds good to me."

He read as he wrote, "I concur with the recommendation of the examining physician 'for immediate medical discharge because of wounds received in combat.' A medical discharge means that you don't have a reserve obligation and are released from active duty immediately. I have assigned a disability of 100% which will allow you to use a military hospital on a space available basis. The VA may be your best bet for physical therapy. Do you have any questions?"

"No sir."

"Good luck sergeant."

"Thank you sir."

I was taken to Post Headquarters where I cleared Post and then I was paid for my accumulated leave at the Finance Office. An AG officer signed my DD 214, Release from Active Duty. He suggested I have the DD 214 registered at the courthouse where I lived. He explained the benefits related to being a medically discharged veteran with a 100% disability. I had my picture taken for new ID card, and turned in my green on and signed a gray one. Just like that I was out of the Army, or at least, off active duty. I had the feeling they wanted to get rid of me in a hurry. I guessed it was the Direction of the President thing. I had heard that it usually took days to do all the things necessary to separate.

I called Grandfather with the good news. He said that Richard and a driver would be on their way to get me shortly.

I said, "I'm at the transient junior NCO barracks. I don't care what anyone thinks of a limo. Have them pick me up there."

I picked up my new ID card and called a post taxi that took me back to the barracks. I repacked my things, checked out of the barracks and waited outside the barracks. Richard and a driver arrived in less than a half hour after I had completed getting ready. The driver loaded my things into the limo's trunk. When we past the post gate, I felt an enormous relief.

I said to Richard, "I can't believe it. I think it's over."

I had tried not to think of getting out early. It was too much to hope for. I had thought they would keep me in because Grandfather had used political influence. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do until the fall.

I rode alone in the back of the limo. Richard and the driver sat in the front. I had a lot of things to put behind me; too many. The elation of getting out was in part negated by the hurt about Mary, which was an open wound. I thought of Dallas and Eddie, and the other men who came back in caskets and how well off I was compared to many. I felt some responsibility to make something of myself. I had promised that if I made it back, I'd go to college, do well and enjoy it.

The hour and a half ride gave me time to think. I had almost three weeks before I could start physical therapy. I wanted to spend some time with Grandfather and to stay busy. I didn't want dwell on Mary. I had to get a doctor, probably a psychiatrist, to continue on the Mellaril. I needed it to sleep, but I also wanted to work my way off the medication too.

I went to the apartment and changed out of my uniform for what I hoped was the last time. I had expected to be in the Army at least four more months and had thought I might have to do the remainder of the two year enlistment. I had been very concerned that I might be retained while I received physical therapy. I called down and had the doorman hail me a taxi.

I met Grandfather and Will at Jack and Charlie's at five. Grandfather and Will were there when I arrived. Grandfather and I had wine; Will had Famous Grouse. Alcohol and drugs scared me. I had seen what happened if you got strung out.

Will said, "Welcome back to the world."

"It's nice to be back."

Grandfather said, "Senator Stennis is a man of his word. I didn't say anything to you, but he told me he would see to it that you weren't screwed over. We owe him for what he did."

I nodded.

Grandfather said, "What are your plans? I expect that you will need some time off."

"I thought about what I wanted to do on the way here from Ft. Dix. I was afraid to hope I would be getting out until it happened. I'm still having a hard time accepting that they let me out. I think I will get ready to go back to college in the fall."

Will asked, "Would you think about going back to Yale? I really think you would find it different now."

"I don't think so. Dr. Bailey, the head of the School of Accountancy at Alabama, suggested I study banking and think about law school. I'm leaning in that direction, but while I was at Wakulla Springs, I thought about Grandmother and how she wanted me to study forestry. I might like being away from the City. Auburn, Florida, Duke, Georgia and Virginia Tech have interesting forestry programs. Alabama doesn't have forestry. Florida, Duke, and Georgia have law schools too."

Will said, "Yale has forestry and it was designed for people like Grandfather Joseph. You'd probably like it. I never knew you were interested in law. I really think it would be great if you went to law school. And it would allow you to be a shareholder in the law firm. You could study forestry at Yale, spend the summers with Grandfather learning about securities and then go to law school. Grandfather knows more about securities and banking than the professors I had at Wharton."

"I don't know about that," Grandfather said but I detected pride in his voice.

I said, "I know Grandfather knows more. I'm just not sure I want to live in the City. I kind of like the South. St. Joe should provide me a good income."

Will asked, "What would they think of a Yankee there?"

"They were a lot nicer to me that the people at Yale."

Will said, "Fred Stein isn't a bad fellow. He is a Yale alum and a Deke."

I said, "I really owe him. I wish he were in practice here. I can't think of anyone I would rather have help me. But I really felt more comfortable at Alabama."

Will said, "The City is the world center of finance and banking; it's the place to be. Why would you want to be down there? I mean really."

"The City's the place for you to be, but I don't think it's the place I want to be. I'm ready for some peace and quiet."

Grandfather broke in. "If Yale can't be nice to you, they aren't getting another cent of my money. I'm rethinking further support of Columbia too."

Then he asked, "What about treatment for your leg and arm? I almost forget about your arm."

"I'm going to have to have regular physical therapy and I think it would be better to get it done here, but I can't start for three weeks. I'm not going to rush going to college or push to finish physical therapy early. By the fall, my leg and arm should be stronger, and I will have an idea of how much improvement I can expect. What I would like to do is work around you some, to get a feel for what's going on; that is if you don't mind?"

Grandfather smiled. "I'll have a desk moved into my office tonight and you can learn what a Vice Chairman does starting tomorrow, if you want."

Will said, "And you can be a groomsman in our wedding. Brooke will be thrilled that the Army isn't going to keep you away."

I said, "I think you struck gold with Brooke."

"I feel fortunate. She made me forget about all the others."

Grandfather said, "She is fortunate too."

Will asked, "What are you going to do right now?"

"I thought I would take off the rest of the week. I need to do some thinking. Then I want to go to Tuscaloosa and have another look around the campus while the students are on campus. I might look at Duke too. That's as far as I've gotten."

Will said, "You should spend some time at the Hamptons. It might change your mind about staying around the City."

Grandfather said, "Wherever you go to school, don't live like a peasant. When you decide where you're going, get a nice house and have it fixed like you want it before you start school. Get a whirlpool thing that will help your arm and leg. You're a man now. After what you've been through, you need a nice house and a quiet place to live. Hire someone to cook and take care of the house for you. It's time you took advantage of the resources we have."

Will said, "We're having the inside of Roselawns painted and some things updated. It was too dark for Brooke. Brooke's picked out draperies and she's replacing a lot of the furniture. It's a good thing W & R did well. I had no idea decorating was so expensive."

Grandfather said, "Best to think about it as a cost of doing business. If it makes Brooke happy, you should be happy."

I said, "Brooke's worth it. Where are you going on your honeymoon?"

"We'll be traveling around Europe during June and July. In August we'll be in South of France. Brooke studied abroad a semester and has some favorite places she wants to visit again.

Will said, "I was so glad that you and Brooke really connected. She told me that your problem is going to be too many coeds distracting you from your studies. She thought you were really handsome. She says your experiences in Vietnam will make you mysterious and very attractive."

Grandfather said, "Keep everything in balance. There's no need to go overboard with women. Men in our position, have to be careful."

I said, "It's all new to me. I don't know anything about women."

Will said, "A summer at the Hamptons will give you all the experience you need. There will be plenty of parties given by people we know and classmates from prep school and Yale."

"My total experience is one girl, who went back to her farmer boyfriend after being with me; not exactly a ringing endorsement. I don't think I'm ready for the Hamptons."

Grandfather said, "Sometimes it takes a while to find a match like Brooke. Don't get in too big a hurry."

Will looked around. "There is usually someone here from the Hamptons crowd."

He got up and went to the restroom. He came back to the table. "We're in luck. I have someone I want you to meet."

Will and I went to a table. "Jay Thompson, I wanted to introduce my brother, Rob."

We exchanged pleasantries.

"Jay is in advertising, a principal at J. Walter Thompson. He has a place a couple of doors down from us on the Hamptons. Rob hasn't been back from Vietnam long. He's going to be staying out at the house some this summer."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.