Scratch Tickets and Lotteries
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2010 by happyhugo

I didn't go over to the bar on Saturday. Sunday I went in and bought new tickets, one for the state lottery, and one for the powerball. Henry didn't work this early, so he still didn't know whether Jane was going to be with me or not. I headed out Monday morning. I was driving today as I didn't have as far to go, but I still wouldn't be home until Wednesday evening at dinner time.

Jane had asked for the keys to the house, just saying she was going to stop by to dust. I never gave it another thought as I had some perplexing problems with one machine I was working on. I pulled into my driveway beside a twenty-year-old Camry. Jane must be here. She was the only one I could think of that would park here.

I opened the door to the kitchen. She was just taking a Dutch oven off of the stove. It smelled like pot roast to me. "Hi, go wash and grab us a beer on the way back. I called Henry to see what brand you drank at home. He said it was some panther piss called Genesee Light. I tried it. Sweet, but not bad."

The table was set with some flowered dishes I had never seen before. I questioned where they had come from. "Wedding present. Haven't used them much. Husband's gone, sentiment we had together went with him and has faded. Time to move on. We'll use these for everyday." That's what she said, but there was some suspicious moisture in her eyes.

I didn't know what to say. "They are beautiful. The flowers are from one of the beds out back, I can see. That's very thoughtful. Something smells wonderful."

"Pot roast. There are onions, carrots, and potatoes cooked in the same juice. Sit, I'll get the kids from the patio. Don't start until we come back. I'm used to saying grace for the evening meal. Have to thank or blame someone for what goes on in my life. I think you use Henry, but I use the Lord. No big deal, you understand. More for the kids than anything."

"That's nice. I never took the time to pay much attention. Henry has always been there to listen to me, but I know he isn't the all, be all."

"As I said, no big deal." The kids were shy at first and kept their eyes on me. It came to me. I was sitting at a table where there wasn't one when I left on Monday. "I moved my stuff in this week. The beds are all in and made up. This will be our first night sleeping here."

"Fine, I was wondering when you would move in."

Brian spoke up as we were almost through the main course. "You have a huge TV."

"It is big. I had a smaller one in the bedroom. My wife has it now. This one is too big for her new home."

"You have a wife? How come she isn't living with you?"

"Tinkerbell, that's none of our business. Don't ask questions."

"That's all right Jane. My wife's name is Katy. We have been married for a few years, but we kind of grew apart. Some of it was because she wanted me home every night which I couldn't do because I work out of town so much. Instead of fighting about it, we have agreed to separate. I'm sure you will meet her sometime."

"Is she pretty?"

"Very pretty. There is an album with her pictures in it underneath the TV if you want to see what she looks like." The kids went running in to get the book, bringing it back. I cleared a place on the table and opened it. Katy was highly photogenic. The shots of her in a bathing suit were especially good. Tinkerbell looked from the photos of Katy to her mother sitting across the table. There was a striking difference.

"Who is this lady with the two kids?"

That's my sister-in-law Patty. The kids are my niece and nephew. That's Jim, her husband and their father. The kids hang out with me sometimes, so you'll have them to play with. Patty is a great cook just like your mother. My wife couldn't cook hardly at all. The meal I had tonight has to be about the best one I've ever had."

I helped carry the dishes to the sink and the kids went in and sat down before the TV. "Jack, that was about the nicest thing you could have said about me. Was your wife that bad a cook?"

"No, she was pretty good, but she didn't like to very much, so we ate out a lot. I wasn't lying when I said this was the best meal I have ever tasted."

"Thank you for pointing out I was good at something, even though I'm not pretty."

"Kids should never think someone else is better or prettier than their mother. I couldn't say Katy wasn't pretty, because she is. I just tried to tell the kids, beauty isn't everything."

"Do you honestly believe that?"

"I do. I went with a girl all through high school who was decidedly overweight. We still correspond and I think her husband is the luckiest of men, for I know what he got when he married her. There, you know one more thing about me. Let's go sit on the patio." I was tired from traveling so after watching a crime show that I slept halfway through, I went to bed. I could luxuriate in the clean sheets as I crawled under the covers.

Thursday morning I took Jane and the kids downtown. I went into my bank and had her name put on my credit card. I was one to pay off my card every month and I had a $11,000 limit on it. The bank was to issue new cards in both our names and we would receive them shortly. When we got outside, Jane lit into me. "Why did you do that? I thought you would get me a card that had a $700 limit. That's what they usually start with."

"What happens if the cellar floods, or the furnace explodes, or the roof blows off and you have to move into a motel. These things could happen sometime when I'm away. This is my house and I'm responsible for everything in it and that includes you and the kids. End of conversation.

"I will say I hope I don't have to reach my limit yet, because I don't have that much for funds to play with. I am getting a substantial raise soon, which will help. The credit card gives me a month's leeway to find enough money to pay my bills. Just don't let this concern you. Use the card if you need it, that's all."

"Was your wife's name on your card?"

"No, she had her own for emergencies, but never used it. I paid all of the bills anyway. It was convenient, especially when she left." I had no clue as to what Jane was thinking, but it couldn't have been bad from the smile I received.

I only had the morning free as I had to work in the afternoon. Tomorrow would be a full day. Next week, I would be out of town only Thursday and Friday. By that time I expected Jane, Brian, Tinkerbell and myself to be totally familiar with each other. Tomorrow night I asked if I could meet her father and mother and maybe leave the kids there for an hour or so. I wanted Henry to know that we were coexisting in the same house together.

"Sure thing. My parents will want to know all about how you are treating their grandchildren."

"Guess I better be on my best behavior then, shouldn't I?"

"I think you have given them a good first impression. Kids are trusting, so you would have to be pretty mean to take that away from them. That goes for me as well."

"Thanks."

Henry landed on Jane when we sat at the bar. "Christ, I never see Jack anymore. He used to come in for a beer every night. Now sometimes he even skips the weekends. What can I do for you?"

"Beer for me and Jane will have a glass of red wine. Make it half and half with gingerale."

"Jack, I can order my own drink. Let me think a minute. Okay, I guess what he said sounds good. I know he isn't trying to get me drunk and take advantage of me."

Henry said, "Not yet he hasn't. He should though."

"Give me time." I bought my scratch ticket. Only one because I felt with having that $25,000 one in the bank, I was taking advantage of the system. I did buy the lottery tickets the same as I had for the last month. It was rare for me to put more than two numbers together yet, but I had a feeling.

I scratched the ticket when Henry handed me the three items. It was for five dollars, which just about paid for the two drinks. Henry shook his head and had a mournful look on his face. "See, he'll break me yet."

We didn't hang around as I wanted to sit down with Jane's parents. They proved to be a couple in their fifties. Her father was tall and thin, just like Jane. June, her mother, was short and very buxom. She caught me staring at her chest.

Smiling, she said, "I know, it is a shame isn't it, I can't share these with my daughter. I never heard her husband complain, though."

"Mom, cut it out. I'd rather be the way I am than to have backaches like you do all the time." We didn't stay here long either, as the kids were sleepy. I picked Brian up and carried him out to the car. Both kids were asleep when we got home and were put right to bed.

I was watching a country musical show on television later. Dolly Parton was being featured. Jane came in and looked at me. "You're drooling. What is it with men about women's breasts anyway? Mine filled okay when it was necessary and I nursed both kids. I'm going to call Mom and tell her what you are watching."

A half hour later she came back. "Well, what did she say about me?"

"Truthfully? She wanted to know how I was going to get you to marry me, followed up with a comment she wished she was single. Guess you're in with her pretty solid. Dad thought you were a pretty good guy as well. Don't let all of this go to your head. I'm your housekeeper, that's all."

"Jane, you are more than that. You've been here a week and I can't remember when I have been this comfortable. I would hope things continue just as they are." I got an odd look, but no comment. Did she wish I would back off or try to get closer?

I was home every night the first three days of the next week. Dinner was on the table when I arrived. The kids were happy to see me, especially after I had purchased a big swing set and a huge Jungle Jim to be installed in the back yard. They grabbed my hand and wanted me to watch them. I hadn't paid too much attention to the yard before this. I knew the lawn had been mowed. When I walked around, I could see the flower beds were well taken care of and commented on it.

"I don't have a job right now, so I have the time."

"Your job is something on the computer, right?"

"Yes. I edit stories and articles for a couple of magazines. It is all freelance and I'm busier than this at different times. Right now this is my slow period. Not having to scratch to make rent payments is a godsend. Jack, you said you were going to be gone tomorrow and Friday. Will you be home by six on Friday?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.