New World - Cover

New World

Copyright© 2010 by lordshipmayhem

Chapter 9: Peace Treaty Part 1

The Chief Negotiator of the Galactic Federation was a slim raven-haired woman in her late 50's, long experienced both in trade diplomacy and the Triumvirate's somewhat erratic negotiating methods. She had brought with her, of all people, her 12-year-old granddaughter Dalia Hera, also blessed with raven hair down to her waist. The entire team of five aides, all women and most in their 20's, sat around her. The Haida's communications room was crowded as a result.

Chief Negotiator Dalia Nara clapped her hands together in delight at the sight of Yuki and Mike, sitting buck-naked in the embassy's communications room. "Ah, the Net was not exaggerating. It is true, is it, that everyone goes around nude?"

This was not exactly the reaction Mike had anticipated. He'd expected something closer to screams of horror. "Yes, Chief Negotiator. When you go planetside, you'll be expected to be naked as well. It's considered an insult to wear clothing."

"Excellent."

Something definitely wasn't computing. What conclusion were the cogs in her head grinding toward?

"Chief Negotiator? I don't understand your reaction."

"This is the first time we shall meet the Triumvirate delegation face-to-face since the disaster 20 years ago. One of their aides produced a blaster that he'd secreted beneath his cloak, and started firing. Here, they can't hide any weapons!"

"Ah, I understand, Chief Negotiator. In any event, there will be a delay of one day while the Solaris Federation President goes through the "official visit" routine. Tomorrow evening, you will be transferred by shuttle directly to a cottage on Diplomacy Island. The Triumvirate party on the Apache will be transferred at the same time. Leave your clothes back aboard the Haida."

One of the aides whispered in Dalia's ear. "Do we have to get undressed in our quarters? We'd prefer to not be observed by the ship's crew."

"I'll request the Captain provide you with containers. You can get undressed in the docking bay and place your clothes in the containers, which will be stored pending your return. Your shuttle pilots will be the only ones who will see you unclad." He shrugged his shoulders. "Of course, you will also be seeing them unclad."

The aide who asked the questions didn't look terribly satisfied, but Dalia nodded and advised him, "That will be most acceptable. I look forward to seeing you again, Ambassador Miller."

"As do I, Chief Negotiator Dalia. As do I." And, he reflected, the Chief Negotiator would indeed be seeing all of him.

The next call was an audio call to the Haida's captain in his cabin, advising him of the Galactic Federation negotiating team's requirements. No problem, he assured Mike, passing the orders along immediately to an unseen crewman on a second commlink. "By the way, she's quite the character, isn't she?"

"Very. Don't ever underestimate her. She didn't get to be Chief Negotiator by giving away the store. I admire her, but I try to never promise or ask for anything. The price can prove steep."

xxx

The Triumvirate had a well-earned reputation for being more, shall we say, direct negotiators. Finesse was not in their vocabulary. If brute force wasn't working, their motto seemed to be, then you just weren't using enough.

The Triumvirate's negotiating team was led by Consul Tella — having one of the three Consuls present indicated the importance they laid on these negotiations. It also indicated the depth of available talent, or lack of same, that their so-called "diplomatic corps" enjoyed. Every one of their diplomats was a serving officer in the Triumvirate Armed Forces, which precluded peace-oriented thinking. ("If brute force isn't working," etc.)

Consul Tella Ardua was most diplomatically described as "bulky". He not only had a generous abdomen, he had wide shoulders and stood well over six feet. Like Chief Negotiator Dalia, Consul Tella had brought his grandson with him — 12-year-old Tella Davis.

Befitting the patriarchal society from which sprung the Triumvirate, all five of Consul Tella's aides were male. All expressed astonishment at Mike's naked state, save the Consul himself and his grandson. The Consul's face was set in a grim smile, and the grandson clearly wished he were anywhere else. Knowing the people he was dealing with, Mike had wisely sent Yuki away — if she were here, not even the Consul would have the emotional maturity to be able to concentrate.

"It looks like it is true what I read," Consul Tella intoned in his gravelly voice. "That all the residents of this rock pile walk around naked as the day they were born. Ambassador Miller?" He cocked an eyebrow, clearly expecting some sort of response.

"It is true, Consul Tella. I am glad you were aware of this before arrival here. It would have been most awkward if you found out at the last minute." And, Mike added mentally, it would have helped tremendously if you'd warned your aides, which you clearly have not.

"Excellent. There will be no hidden weapons this time. They can be so disruptive to negotiations."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.