The Rat and the Dragon - Cover

The Rat and the Dragon

Copyright© 2010 by Woofajuana

Chapter 3

The very bowels of the mountain churned and roiled, the intense heat making the walls drip with lava. The air was unbreathable to any normal mortal. Luckily, the shadowed figure wasn't any normal mortal. It stuck to the coolest spot in the massive cavern, remained unseen. But its presence was known immediately.

The lava parted, and a thickly scaled head emerged, a long neck shooting it up out of the boiling rock. The maw alone could swallow a full grown wyvern whole. The eyes, the slitted pupils as long as Bern was tall, glared at the intruder. Each breath of the dark red beast rumbled, making the stones of the mountain vibrate.

Without fear, the figure stood, watching the great red dragon. "Your Majesty!" It bowed sweepingly. "I come with news. I have found her!" It hissed.

Black lips peeled away from enormous serrated teeth; the mountain rocked with the most hideous sound: Maelicxatrasia laughing.


CYL!

Cylthan gave a quiet groan, Draen's roar in her mind giving her an instant headache. What?

You slept with him?

Cylthan's eyes fluttered open. She sat up in the bed, looking next to her where Roan lay on his side, facing away from her, his breathing deep and steady. The events of the night returned to her. After the bath, he'd offered her a short tour of the place, which had soon ended up in his room. Don't you say a thing!

You could do so much better...

What did I just say? Cylthan quickly slipped from the bed, finding her discarded clothing quickly, pulling on her boots before silently slipping out the door. She paused a moment, looking at Roan's sleeping figure.

It took some effort, but she was finally able to recall how to return to her room. Draen stood behind the door, waiting for her. He batted at her with a massive fuzzy paw.

Did you enjoy your evening?

The glare she gave him threatened death. His eyes twinkled with amusement, mocking her. She quickly got to ripping her clothes off, desperate to get his scent off her. "I don't know what I was thinking. Such a fool!" she growled angrily at herself.

Now now, not such a fool. As an elf, you are well into your reproductive years, but as a dragon, you're not quite there yet. The two are intertwined so perfectly, your body doesn't know which one to follow. Elves have a very short span of time in their lives that they can have young. Think that's what got you riled up. Draen's bright eyes smiled at her with that feline look that told her he just knew he was smarter than she.

"Well, thank you for the lesson, Master Draen. But I've no intentions of letting that happen again. I'm quite through with him!" she sneered.

Well, maybe when the marks are gone...

Cylthan spun around to glare at him. Then she looked at herself in the mirror. Her lips peeled back in disgust. "That bastard marked me!" She gave an angry hiss as she threw some fresh clothing on. "I HATE humans!" she snarled as she pulled the shirt over her head.

Draen's ears perked, turning his head toward the door. He gave a huff, letting Cylthan know there was someone outside. The knock that resounded was sharp and authoritative. Licking her lips, Cylthan opened it cautiously, Draen trying to shove his head in between her legs to look at the visitor. Being a cat, he was all too curious about everything.

A tall, lean man stood in the doorway. In his youth, he had probably been the fancy of many women, but now his face was covered in wrinkles, though they made him seem wise, not old. He cocked a brow as he glanced down at Draen poking his massive head out from between her legs. "You appear to have a growth."

Cylthan looked down, smacking Draen across the snout. With a huff, he withdrew, growling at her.

"Interesting beast. Though that's not why I'm here. The Council of 12 request your presence. Though you may want to wear something around your neck..."

Cylthan blushed brightly at the man's tease, her hand rubbing the dark mark on the base of her neck. The man leered at her a bit, suddenly grinning. "I can certainly see why my old student has been so distracted."

"If you're talking about that rat," she spat indignantly, "I'm quite done with him."

The man shook his head with a good natured chuckle. "Do forgive me. It's not my place to go sticking my nose into whatever relationship, or lack there of, that you two have. Roan is quite capable of taking care of himself, as I'm sure you are as well. But, small talk was not why I came." He stepped to the side, bowing a little as he indicated for her to come out of her room. "The Council awaits you, lady elf."

Sighing, Cythan pulled the collar of her shirt as high as she could, walking past the human. Draen was at her heel, peering up at the old man.

As they walked, Draen continued to stare at him. Finally, the man stopped and looked down at him. "Why do I seem so interesting to you, dark one?"

You are familiar to me. I'm trying to remember. Give me a moment longer. The panther sat, his broad forehead furrowed as he thought, staring at the man unblinkingly.

The man glanced at Cylthan, a brow raised. She shrugged. She didn't even know what Draen had said. They could only speak to one person at a time.

Were you ever in Direhaal?

"I was, perhaps 7 years ago. Why?"

Draen shook his head with a huff. I remember you. Jorsam. You were quite drunk, as I recall, and you mistakened me for a big dog! Draen snorted righteously. I demand an apology!

Jorsam guffawed heartily. "If that is true, then I am sorry, Sir Panther. If you were a dog, you would be the biggest dog I would have ever seen, for indeed you are the biggest cat. I think that was the night I had completed my last official mission and whatever else happened that evening I'm not entirely sure."

His eyes twinkling merrily, Draen nodded and stood to start trotting away. Jorsam chuckled. "Other way, dark one."

I knew that! Draen turned and headed down the opposite hall. Just had to turn around is all.

Sighing deeply, Cylthan followed along behind. After a moment, she giggled girlishly, causing Jorsam to glance at her. "He doesn't like it when you refer to him as a dog in any way," she explained with much amusement. "Though that is quite nice of you to apologize. He doesn't get that often."

Chortling, Jorsam paused before the large double door to the council chamber. "To think you two were right under my nose. Though I'm glad I'm not the one that found you. I doubt very much you would be standing here now if I had."

Before either could respond, he pressed the door open. The Council of 12 sat in their chairs, speaking with each other. Once the two of them were standing in the middle of the room, it had gone quiet.

"I'm glad you found yourself some entertainment." The Czandorian smiled chaffingly, making her aware that the collar of her shirt had slipped down again. She blushed brightly, trying to hide it. But the dark dwarf continued, ignoring her discomfort. "We've been mulling over what you said and realized we cannot make a decision without more knowledge. So, we would like you to make clear a few things."

Cylthan glowered at him. "If I do, what certainty do I have that you won't be brash and foolish and try to drain my power anyways?"

The dark dwarf shrugged. "No certainty at all. But you can be certain that if you tell us nothing, we'll do it anyways."

Cylthan looked down at Draen. He stared up at her. His mind was quiet. These mages could hear him when he spoke, and so he said nothing, but he didn't need to. He was leaving this decision to her. He would give his life for her; whatever was to come, he would be beside her.

Finally, she sighed. "What is it you want to know?"

"First of all, if you are not the Red dragon queen's daughter, then where did you come from?"

Cylthan shrugged. "The Dark Plains. It is all I know. I did not even have all the egg fluid off me when she reached through and pulled me to this realm. My home is known as Gonsrad. That is all I know."

The mages spoke amongst themselves for a moment. "Any creature we have encountered from that realm has been some twisted perversion of the beasts we find here. Luckily they have been few and far between."

"Indeed, I would say that I am," Cylthan agreed quietly. Draen snorted. He had never agreed with her on that. "I've seen the dragons on this world. They are very noble beasts. Very proud. Very beautiful and graceful. If you were to see my true form, you would find it quite horrid."

The dwarf nodded absently. "Then it was a good thing you locked yourself into this elven form. But we want to know how and why."

Again she shrugged. "The how was not simple. But it was so taxing that I lost my memory of it. The why was because elves have a similar life span to what I would have."

"That is not the 'why' we were looking for," the dwarf stated tersely.

She raised her delicate brow at him. "Because as you said, Sir Dwarf, all beasts from the Dark Plains are perversions. Do you not think so too is my magic?" She continued when the Council members muttered quietly amongst themselves, making them fall silent again to hear her words. "I don't know much about my kind. I don't remember if I had a mother watching over me. All I know is that one night I had a dream. I dreamt that one of my kind was trying to break through the barrier of our realms as Maelic had done. And he was using me to do it. He was using the stream of magic that existed between Maelic and myself when she was trying to draw the magic out of me so that she could become stronger. In my dream, I saw that if he broke through, he would destroy this world. Perhaps even this entire system, just to get me back. So I fled. I ran away from her to protect the little creatures I had made friends with. She had brought me children to eat, but I did not want to kill them." Then Cylthan turned her eyes away in shame. "I was too young to save them. But I told myself that I would save more of them if I ran away to prevent my magic from bringing another of my kind through the fabric that separates our two realms. Whether or not my dreams were true, I don't know. I do, however, know that by fleeing I saved all of you."

She turned back to the members. "I have spent my life running, always moving, always looking over my shoulder. After so long, people start to sense that I am not all I seem to be. The power of my magic brings out their greed. Most everyone can sense it after a while, even if they do not notice it. And they want to pull it out of me. It seems only the panthers of Thirbor are not affected by my magic, for they have no sense of greed." She let out a deep sigh. "I had hoped to live out my life and pass out of this realm, thus severing any chance of the destruction of your world."

The dark dwarf stared at her thoughtfully. He then waved his hand at her. "That was the information that we seeked. I encourage you to enjoy the rest of your day. We will call for you again sometime when we've discussed things."

With that, they turned away from her, ignoring the elf and the panther. The two glanced at each other, figuring it was safe to leave. They quietly went to the doors, slipping out. Jorsam was there, waiting for them. He did not ask what had been discussed. He probably knew whatever was said in there stayed in there unless the members announced it. In either case, he led them back to their room.

So lost in thought, Cylthan did not notice him glancing at her curiously. He said nothing, though, and for that Cylthan was happy. She did not want to talk to anyone right then. For so many years she had run from place to place. She had slept in a bed maybe once a month. She had never been with the same man more than once. At least until recently. She'd never had anyone she could truly call a friend, none but Draen. Without him, she likely would have gone mad by now. And she had suffered the terrible loneliness because she had tried to prevent what these fools were thinking of doing.

When they reached their room, Jorsam bid them farewell and left them. Draen was the one to thank him. When he tried to explain Cylthan's mood, Jorsam shook his head, holding up his hand to stop him.

For a long while, the two sat in silence. Draen lay his massive head on Cylthan's lap. She stroked his big soft ears absently.

Finally, she looked down at him. "You should not do that."

Do what?

"Let me get so lost in thought. I don't like remembering."

They are only memories. Memories can't hurt you unless you let them. Draen's voice in her head was quiet.

Cylthan sighed deeply. "Have I ever thanked you for being with me?"

You have never needed to. He rubbed his head against her with a soft purr. I have always known.

"You left your mate to come with me."

She did not need me as you do. And she understood that. She will tell my cubs about me, and that was all I had asked. As you said yourself, we have no sense of greed. She was not going to tell me I had to stay. He then sighed. I will admit I think of them often, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

Cylthan leaned down, wrapping her arms around his massive head. He purred, a sound he knew soothed her. After a moment, she heard his voice in her mind again. She was so used to the sensation that sometimes she forgot what it was like to not have his consciousness in her. We must focus on the present, Cyl. Things are pretty grim. We can't leave this place. I tried to sneak away while you were, er, busy last night. Apparently, they have us spelled, so that if we try to leave the outer walls of the castle we get teleported back in here. And it's quite painful, I assure you.

Cylthan sighed. "I guess it's over, then. All that running, deceiving, slipping away in the middle of the night, all of it will have been for nothing."

Draen glared up at her. It seemed like he was about to say one thing when his facial expression changed. She saw his broad forehead furrow, his glittering eyes peering at her closely. "What?" she asked curiously, not sure why she was the subject of his close scrutiny.

Your ears ... are floppy.

Cylthan blinked at him, bewildered. "What?"

The tips. They're floppy. It's not much. They're tilted to the sides. He stood up, allowing her to stand in front of the mirror to see for herself. Indeed, he was right.

Staring at herself, Cylthan's breath quickened. She had lived among a band of wild elves for a few months when Draen and herself had left the panther's home. It was when she had lost the innocence of her body as well as learning how to fight. They had then gone among the city elves. But again they had left, going out into the world. But she had learned enough about them to know there were only three reasons for their ears to droop as hers were doing. They were terribly malnourished, very old, or...

"How ... how is it possible?" Her voice cracked, looking down at Draen with panic.

He peered up at her. You may be a dragon, but your body is an elf. You've trapped yourself in it. Did it not occur to you that it was possible?

She turned her eyes away. "No, it hadn't," she admitted softly. Her hand covered her lean belly. "What am I going to do, Draen?"

Use this to your advantage. Cylthan turned to him in surprise. He sounded so calm, coniving. He was a feline, afterall. He thought about things differently than she did. He had a hard logic she did not. They will not kill you while you carry a child. It will give us seven months to figure out a way to escape them.

"But what then? What will I do with a baby?" She looked away from him again, her voice barely above a whisper. "Always running is no way to raise a child."

Leave it with the father. I'm sure he will be very pleased. And we can vanish back into the shadows of the world. He could tell she was not thrilled with that prospect. Huffing, he came over beside her, tucking his head under her hand. His voice softened in her mind. At least you will know that it will be safe, and not have to carry your burden. I'm certain these people will raise it and care for it.

Sighing, Cylthan sat on the bed again. Draen was right. It was unlikely these people would kill her while she was with child. It would give them time to discover a weakness, a way to flee this place. Then she could leave the child with Roan. Whether he wanted it or not, it would at least have a home. The Seekers often took in orphans, training them to become hunters of the dangerous beasts that lurked on this world, like vampires, werewolves, and dragonkin. And the child would lack her powers, hopefully. So it would be born a normal halfling. She knew of halflings. They were rare, but they existed. Seven months was average for halflings. Elves were born in five, humans in nine. So they would have that much time at least.

"Should I tell Roan?" she asked quietly, looking at Draen.

He thought a moment. Perhaps. He would then tell the Council. Whether to ask them to kill it or to spare it, at least then it would come from him. It would not seem like you were hoping to use it as a way to live longer. Then Draen stood, walking over to the door. In any case, we can discuss this further in a few minutes. I need to go outside, if you'd be so kind as to open the door for me.

Standing, Cylthan opened the door. "If you don't mind," she said softly before he left, "I would like some time to think. And I would like my mind to myself for a bit. I'll seek you out when I feel like having company again, ok?"

Draen bowed his head before trotting off. I understand, Cyl. I'll use the time to go exploring. There are a lot of little cracks and crevices in this place, I'm certain I can find a way out of here. I'll see you later. With that, his mind retreated from hers, leaving her feeling a little hollow.

Closing the door, Cylthan sat on the bed. She'd never thought she would ever have a child. And even when she had wished for it, she never would have thought that it would be with a human. Especially a human she hated so much. He infuriated her, with how smug he was. He was so stubborn, bull headed. She just wanted to smack some sense into him. He was the reason she was here, trying to find ways to keep herself alive.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. With a sigh, she stood and opened it. The moment she saw who stood there, her hand flew up. The slap echoed down the hall. Roan clenched his jaw, glaring at her. "You feel better now?" he growled.

"I think I would feel best if I could bury a blade in your gut," she hissed angrily at him.

She stumbled back when he stepped toward her, his powerful body tense and hunched like he was going to attack her. He used the heel of his foot to shut the door behind him, his eyes never leaving hers. After a moment, he spoke, his voice low. "It's mine, isn't it?"

She gaped at him blankly. "How ... how did you... ?"

"Jorsam came and told me he had a suspicion." Roan took a step closer. He was able to snatch Cylthan's wrist before she could strike him again. His grip was firm but careful. "It's mine, isn't it?" he repeated himself, his eyes narrowed and searching her face.

She bared her teeth at him, trying to pull away. "I'm not a harlot, if that's what you're implying! Now let me go!"

Instead, he drew her close. Before she could protest, his other hand cupped the back of her neck, pulling her to his lips. For a moment, she tensed, trying to pull away from him. But it was like her body remembered him, remembered the pleasure he had given her. Gradually, she relaxed in his grip, kissing him in return.

When he felt her melt against him, he released her wrist, his fingers sliding gently to her hand, interlacing with hers. They were so much more slender, like the rest of her. Her feminine curves so perfectly fit against the hard bunches of his muscles, like they were pieces of a puzzle.

Their breathing was harsh and ragged, the only thing either could hear. Roan placed his hands on her hips, slowly letting them slide up her waist and her ribs, pulling her shirt with the movement. Without a thought, Cylthan allowed him to pull the shirt over her head, their lips parting only for a moment before meeting again. He felt her fingers work the buttons of his shirt, slipping it from his broad shoulders. Their leggings soon followed while their hands danced over each other.

She felt Roan's large hand cover her belly over her womb, his lips leaving hers to growl heavily into her pointed ear. "Mine." Somehow, she knew he meant more than just the child.

"I hate you," she said into his ear, her voice breathy and thick.

His hands encircled her waist, pulling her body tightly against his. "I know," he rumbled, his mouth nibbling along the edge of her ear, her jaw, down her neck. She leaned her head back, a soft moan leaving her.

A moment later, they found themselves on the bed. Cylthan moaned loudly when she felt Roan slip into her, already moist and aching for him. Before, things had often been awkward, always having to learn a new man each time, no one knowing all her little hot spots. But her body remembered Roan's, moving to match him. His lips and his hands sought out every place he had discovered on her the previous night that had made her cry out, moaning his name.

Roan then wrapped his arms around her, lifting her up until he sat on his heels. He tried to lean back, but Cylthan pulled away suddenly, glaring at him even as she panted, her whole body quivering, her skin flushed with her pleasure. "You rat!" she sneered accusingly at him as he lay out on his back.

Grinning ear to ear, Roan pointed at his erection still wet with her fluids. "Show me how much you hate me," he teased smugly.

Her hand clenched as if she might be searching for a blade. But she came to him anyways, why she didn't know. She slipped him into her, moaning long and loud. He smiled as he watched her ride him, her eyes half closed, mouth open as every manner of shameful sounds left her, feeling every bit of him deep inside her. His rough hands moved over her thighs, up her waist, then back down but with his short nails digging into her, leaving lines of red welts. She cried out in pleasure.

Then she leaned over him, panting hard, her whole body shivering. He felt her walls constrict around him, making him groan deeply. His hands reached up as she was lost in her climax, slipping through her short silvery white hair. He drew her down a little further, his hot mouth closing over an erect nipple. She cried out, her body grinding against him for however long, neither knew nor cared.

When they were both at last spent, it took them a moment to clear their heads. Cylthan didn't know why she didn't feel like moving off Roan. Her body was content to lie on top of him, held in his powerful arms. Her eyes were lidded, her breathing slowly returning to normal. He lay with his eyes closed, but she knew he didn't sleep.

She had the thought that now would be the perfect time to kill him. Just reach over and bite him, bleed him out. But when she brought her mouth to his throat, she merely kissed it, nuzzling his neck. He shifted under her, peering at her through his normal eye. "I want to kill you," she sighed heavily next to his ear.

She felt bumps rise all over his skin. "I'm certain of that," he replied huskily, his voice at once lustful and laughing.

She didn't remember if they had traded any further threats or insults. When she woke, it was to Draen's wet nose prodding her in the face. I leave you alone and you go and get laid again. You're making me jealous!

Cylthan peered around drowsily. Roan was gone. She was covered in her blankets. The sun was starting to set outside her window. Groaning, she covered her head, trying to stop Draen's poking. "I hate that rat," she grumbled, curling up into a ball under the covers.

Oh, I'm sure you do, Draen teased her. Enough to fuck him so hard I saw him stagger down the hall!

"I'll hurt you," she growled, her hand shooting out and trying to claw at him, groping about in his general direction.

I think I'll attribute your bad mood to being pregnant. Though I have some news. I think I found our way out. He poked her through the sheets with his paw when he felt her mind dozing off again.

"What?" she mumbled, not really caring.

Draen sighed in her mind and out loud. Fine. Go back to sleep. I'll tell you in the morning. Unless you intend to go sleep in Roan's bed? he teased mischievously.

"Why would I do something like that?" she snapped testily, still not moving from her spot. She hadn't bothered to move her arm and it hung limply off the side of the bed.

Because you hate him and it's a good idea to keep your enemies close. His voice was so thick with sarcasm that she finally had to pull her sheets off to glare narrow eyed at him.

"That is really not fair." She bared her teeth at him.

Fine. Then would you believe I very much enjoyed sleeping in your bed last night and wouldn't mind if I could again? His eyes were smiling at her. The bed is not large enough for us to share, though Roan's is more than open and warm for you.

"What are you driving at?" she sneered. She didn't know why he was pushing for her to go to that spawn of a plagued rat.

Nothing! he piped innocently in her mind, turning his eyes away slyly. I just know that he is your best chance for survival right now. And no matter how much you two seem to hate each other, you both are sharing a child. I think it is a good idea for you to be with him until we leave. Make certain he wants to protect you from the Council.

She sighed, stretching out on the bed. "I think he would need protection from me if I were to go to his bed."

Draen flicked his ears, huffing loudly. She heard his laughter in her head. Do try not killing him long enough for us to get out of here. Then his voice became more serious. Remember, Cyl, it's not just you I'm trying to protect. What kind of father would I be if I allowed these people to find my home, take my cubs and make them slaves as we once were to the humans? If the elves had not freed us and allowed us to hide in the jungles near their homes eons ago, we would be very sorry animals.

Again, Cylthan sighed. "I know, Draen." She reached out and stroked his head, scratching him lightly behind his ear. "I would not want for that to happen, either. Seven months, Draen. And then we'll go." Stiffly, she rose out of the bed, standing to get dressed. "During that time, I'll try not to kill the rat," she added flatly.


When Roan woke, he felt a warm, svelte body snuggled tightly against his back and it made him smile. The elf bitch had shown up at his door before he was about to go to bed. She hadn't said a word, just started to remove his clothing. He had been more than happy to oblige, and by the time she had been satisfied (or too tired to continue, he wasn't sure which), it had been long past midnight.

Turning, Roan placed his arm around her waist, holding her snugly to him. He looked down at her face, peaceful in restful sleep. He wasn't sure how he felt about what was happening. He really didn't like her, thought her too much of a distant bitch to be worth his time. And yet every time he saw her, he couldn't help but want to hold her and make love to her for as long as she wanted like they had last night. In any case, she was going to have his child, and no matter what the Council's decision would be about her, they would have to go through him.

He felt her stir against him. She squirmed a little, giving a low groan from the stiffness of her muscles. When she looked up into Roan's softly smiling face, she let out a sigh, burying her own face into his broad chest. She could feel him gently stroking her smooth back. Then his hand touched her ear tip, flicking it. "Are they going to stay like that?" he mocked quietly. "I think that would be awfully distracting." He flicked it again to emphasis.

She glared at him, drawing away. "Just for the first month," she sneered. "You don't know anything about elves, do you?"

Roan shrugged, propping himself up on his elbow. "I don't know much about pregnant women, either."

Cylthan grunted angrily. "That doesn't surprise me. I'm sure you just fuck and run. Probably have plenty of offspring about..."

Roan didn't know any other way to shut her up than to kiss her. He kissed her hard, fiercely, holding her shoulder and pulling her back against him. Her body was yielding, pressing into him, even though he could tell her mind was resentful.

Finally, he broke the kiss. He wrapped his arms around her tightly. "For your information," he said gruffly, "I am quite certain I have no other children. I have always cast a spell on myself to keep me infertile for a time." Then he took a deep breath before continuing. "That night in the woods, I just ... forgot."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.