After Lift - Cover

After Lift

Copyright© 2010 by lordshipmayhem

Chapter 1: The Letter

"Yes, Sir, terribly sorry to have to disturb you. It's a receipted delivery. Please sign on this electronic device." The trim young Post Office employee handed the recipient a signature scanner and stylus.

The homeowner signed and handed the device back to the young lady.

"Thank you Sir. Have a good day, Sir."


Retired US Army Ranger Major Robert Collins accepted the envelope from the cute girl and closed his front door. Behind him, he could hear his wife Mira ask, "Who was it?"

"Just some postie, dropping off registered mail." He ripped open the package and scanned the enclosed sheet. "Oh, no. Honey, General Covey has died. His funeral is in Minneapolis this weekend."

"But that's only two days off," protested Mira, entering the living room. Like her husband, she was trim, fit, brown-haired, hazel-eyed and in her late 40's, although shorter than he. The marks of two children, both now grown and extracted, were not visible on her trim form. "That doesn't give us much time to change our plans."

"I know, we're supposed to be at your sister's. But I think we need to go there — and take our pre-pack." As she blinked, he expanded, "There will be enough old war horses there that the Confederacy might just decide to go for an extraction. The letter from his lawyer points this out. Hopefully they'll be honourable enough to let us get the service over first."


As retired Technical Sergeant Chuck Yassateague handed the electronic signature scanner back to the petite young lady in the postal service uniform, he wondered briefly if she needed a sponsor — and then remembered regretfully that all four of his slots were filled.

He shut the door and retreated into his apartment, slicing the envelope open as he did so. He was disappointed to find he was reading about his former commanding officer's demise, as he'd always regarded Steel-eyed Sam Covey to be not only a fair and humane officer but also a crackerjack tactician. If the Confederacy hadn't had a chance to extract this man, then he'd have been more than useful defending Earth when the Sa'arm arrived.

Without giving it too much thought, Chuck picked up his phone and began calling the first of his pre-pack.


Henry O'Neil didn't even wait to close the door before he tore open the envelope bearing the sad news. His reaction was pure grief — Sam and he had been roommates back in their West Point days, and had shared innumerable tours of duty together. It seemed that wherever you saw Sam, you saw Henry — the Shipping and Handling crew. On their last tour before retiring, they'd both been to the Puzzle Palace, working on anti-Sa'arm tactics in a joint Army/Marines task force.

He sat down in his chair and had himself a good cry. He'd remember the good times, and the bad, like the time back at the Point when they were on maneuvers several counties away. They'd led their squads on a mock assault on what turned out to be a women's college dorm. Turned out the location was no accident: Sam was dating a cute blond-haired junior there. It further developed that the junior had a cute red-headed roommate. The following weekend, after the two boys had repaired the chain-link fence their squads had cut through two nights previous, they took the ladies out to dinner. The dinner had been but the first of a series of dates, and after Sam and Henry's graduation there followed two weddings, first Sam and Betty and then Henry and Fiona.

He wondered if Sam's three kids knew yet. As all three — and their families — had been extracted over a year ago, he doubted it very much. At least Sam's grandkids wouldn't be facing the Sa'arm.

His wife would be home from shopping soon. He'd better call the rest of his pre-pack and order them to join him. Fortunately Minneapolis wasn't that far away.


It had been yet another long hot day at his shop in Minneapolis' suburbs, and Brad Fitchley had been hoping to relax with a good book before dinner. The knock on the door disappointed him; he'd been hoping it was the buxom blond Shelley Valentine, his next-door neighbour, rather than a stupid registered letter. Still, he conceded as he wished the young lady a good day, she was cute. A little young for his current tastes, but still cute.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.