Special Delivery
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2010 by lordshipmayhem

As she suspected, anyone trying to leave was being intercepted at the door and convinced to stay. Lucinda and the other nine bunny breeders put their heads together and whispered in agreement: an extraction was imminent. A few went to call in relatives, but discovered that their cellphones were just not working.

Suddenly the view outside the doors of the otherwise windowless facility turned grey. Lucinda reflected that this would be the closest to the colourful ribbons that were usually awarded at such events.

"Ladies and gentlemen, sorry for the delay, but we are now ready to announce the awards. First prize goes to those who realized that yes, this is a Confederacy extraction."

Beside Lucinda, Lacey gave a pumped up "Yessss!"

"Now, this is not your typical pickup. Have a seat in the stadium area, and we'll explain."

It took a good five or ten minutes for everyone to get seated in the folding chairs in front of the temporary stage.

"First of all, let me introduce myself. I am Tribune William Whitefeather of the Targeted Extraction Section of the Department of Evacuation and Colonial Operations. My section is responsible for filling in the skills gaps that colonies have identified.

"Normally, we'd start by identifying the sponsors and having them choose their concubines, but as you can see, we're kind of shy on concubines right now. You may not have realized it, but we have actively scouted this entire group out. You, your families, and all your bunnies — ALL your bunnies, including those still back at your homes — will be extracted and sent to various colonies. Let me explain.

"At a colony world called Ishtar — no relation to the absolutely forgettable movie of the same name, although two of the planets are named after characters in that piece of schlock — we had an experiment with bunnies as pets and trade items. We found they work well not only for training youngsters in caring for other living things, which stands them in good stead to help with their younger siblings as they come along, but also in helping to form a cohesive family unit, having a pet that everyone can dote on. They're using their bunnies to trade for seeds to create a suitable ecosphere.

"As a result of the successful experimentation there, we've decided to send one family with their bunnies to each of several worlds we've classified as 'breeder' colonies — most are also research colonies. We have our eye on one potential concubine in specific, Lucinda Everest?"

Lucinda turned beet red.

"James Rabb asked us to look after you specifically, because of your favour to him. Because he is considered something of a hero to many in the Fleet, we're going to make sure you get to a nice colony. Anyone who takes her gets one additional concubine slot so if they've already got their prepack together, it's not going to mess up your head counts. By the way, because of the nature of this targeted extraction, we are doing special concubine pickups in addition to the usual dependant pickups. Normally you'd choose from where you were, but that's part of what makes targeted extractions special.

"Now, is there any sponsor interested in accepting Lucinda as their concubine?"

At the back, a man stood up.


It was late in the evening shift, and Victor finally found time to take a break. Using an excuse of seeing a young patient who had arrived with appendicitis-like symptoms, he made his way to Pediatrics to meet Mrs. Jacquie Mondale, LPN. In his pocket, aside from his newly-issued CAF card identifying him as a Navy Commander, were a CAP card reader and a list of other potential concubines.

Tribune Whitefeather had handed the medical volunteers over to Sub-Decurion Anthony Chan ("No, it's not Charlie Chan. Call me that and I'll call you Doctor Volkswagen."). He in turn had helped them winnow through the potential concubines to find those with the scores and any other factors that interested each sponsor.

In Victor's case, his list consisted of single mothers with qualification of either being a doctor, a nurse or an EMT. He had decided he didn't need fuck bunnies. If five women weren't enough for him and his male concubine, then he'd borrow from the concubine pool he'd been told about.

He already had his male concubine: to his astonishment his fellow trauma resident Dr. Robert Proust was a concubine at 6.3, and when approached was quite willing to be the other male. He was kind and quiet and just wanted to heal the sick and injured, and the nanites would all but guarantee that their patients would have positive outcomes, making extraction even more tempting for him. Regrettably for both him and for Victor, he had no kids of his own.

Jacquie proved to be a somewhat stout brunette of average height. She was currently sitting at the nursing station of the darkened Pediatrics ward monitoring call lights and reviewing patient notes.

"Nurse Mondale? Jacquie, can I call you Jacquie?" He handed her a take-out coffee and cinnamon roll from the bakery across the road. It gave discounts to Hospital staff; rumour had it that it was owned by one or more doctors. "Two cream, two sugar, right?" Just in case she didn't want her coffee that way, he was prepared to sacrifice his usual black coffee that was occupying another space on the take-out drinks tray.

"Oh, a man after my own heart," she whispered eagerly. She gave him a smile that lit up the entire ward as she accepted the peace offering. "Thank you, Dr. Walden. Now, what did I do to deserve this?"

"Can we discuss this quietly?"

"How about the back room of the nursing station?" She looked mystified. "Candace, can you watch the front desk for a bit?"

Candace could. "Look out for these handsome young doctors," she advised, a glint of humour in her eyes as she leered at the handsome young trauma resident. "They probably all have killer CAP scores and want you to be their concubine."

Victor gave her a look that he hoped read, "be serious, silly girl."

He settled in his seat and opened his coffee.

"Say, how did you know how I like my coffee?" Jacquie wanted to know.

"I asked someone." He didn't say whom he asked. Jacquie blinked in confusion.

"I'm getting a pre-pack together," Victor announced, still talking in whispers to avoid waking the children on the floor. Jacquie snorted at the accuracy of Candace's prediction. "With my CAP score I can get at least four, and if I get concubines with certain skills another two. I've already got Dr. Proust, he's a 6.3, so I have slots open for up to another five. And you very much have both of those 'certain skills' I need for those extra two."

"You're serious..."

"Never more. I want you as my concubine. You are kind, and pleasant, and everyone who knows you here has told me they like you very much. The kids here adore you." He blushed. "Plus, I think you're physically attractive, although I know that this is something I don't need to worry about in a concubine. Bodies can be modified to make you look however we want. But I have to tell you that if it wasn't for the Sa'arm, I'd be trying for the position of 'husband'."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.