A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 36

At nine o'clock the following morning Becca was moved to the general ward. At ten Isobel came bustling in.

"I'm sorry, darling," she said, "but I can only stay ten minutes. I've got to go and see my regulars. I'll pop in when I've finished."

Steven had regretfully said that he must abide by the visiting hours. It would not be fair on the other patients not to but he had promised to be there on the dot of two.

Becca was in a corner beside a big window but it just looked out on other buildings: not very exciting. Her next door neighbour was an old lady who just lay there. Becca became very, very bored. She was feeling full of life and she told Mr Lovering so in no uncertain terms when he did his rounds. He was sympathetic but was still concerned that she might overdo things if he let her out early.

"I don't want to sound cheeky, Mr Lovering," she said changing the subject, "but despite the friendly nurses this place is awfully gloomy."

Mr Lovering's eyebrows went up. "Why do you say that?"

"Everywhere's the same. Every room and corridor's the same: a dark green dado and yellowy cream above it. Lighter colours and more variety would cheer the place up no end."

He smiled at her. "I know exactly what you mean," he said. "Is this a sales pitch for your Damsels?"

Becca blushed and shook her head vehemently. "No! It would be much too big a job for us. The one we were doing was about our limit. It was taking all our girls three weeks. This place would be like the Forth Bridge. Finish and start again at the beginning."

He smiled. "I don't think it would happen anyway," he said. "From what I gather we have contracted painters and we get the work done cheaply because they can buy the paint, all two colours, in bulk at discount prices."

Becca nodded. "I understand," she said. "We get our paint at trade prices but for nowhere as little as the big boys do. All the same, the next time the contract comes up for renewal whoever lets it might think of changing the colours to something a bit more cheerful."

"Thank you, Becca. I'll feed it in and we'll keep our fingers crossed. Anyway, I must get on. I'll see you this evening."

"And let me out tomorrow?"

He smiled at her. Steven Hardacre was a lucky man. "Don't you bully me, young lady," he said.

Becca looked at him all wide-eyed innocence. "As if I would," she said and then collapsed with laughter. Mr Lovering joined her.

Steven arrived promptly at two. They looked at each other wordlessly and then hugged as though they had been apart for a year. He continued to sit on her bed holding her hand and stroking her hair or running his fingers down her cheeks with his other hand. Her big, green eyes shone with happiness and love.

"I came here via the nursery school," he said, "and they're slightly ahead of schedule so Molly may let a couple of the girls off early to come and see you during this visiting period. You can expect the rest later."

"That'll be fun."

"I won't get a look in."

"Yes you jolly well will. If you let go of my hand once I shall smack you."

"Oooh!"

"I mean it."

"Yes, miss."

They both laughed happily which meant another kiss.

"I've also been shopping and bought you a little present."

Becca jiggled excitedly. Steven reached into his jacket pocket.

"Close your eyes." He slipped a ring of a large emerald surrounded by diamonds onto her wedding finger.

"Open!"

She gazed at it. "Oh, my darling! My darling Uncle Steven! It's beautiful and so big. Oh, my darling, thank you, thank you!"

She reached for him and plastered her lips to his. She released him to say, "My beloved man," and then kissed him passionately again.

At last she let go of him and looked at the ring again. "Lovely, quite lovely," she murmured. "Why did you choose an emerald, darling?"

"To go with your eyes and then the jeweller told me it was the birth stone for people born in May so that clinched it. We can always exchange it for something different if you like."

She glared at him. "Never! You bought this for me with love and I love it and I love you. So there!"

Isobel reappeared at that moment. "Hello, my dears. I've finished my rounds so I'm off. Is there anything either of you need?"

"Look!" cried Becca holding out her left hand.

Isobel took it. "That is quite lovely, darling," she said. "I think he really must love you." She turned to Steven. "Well done you," she said. She kissed them both and was gone.

Then the visitors started: Martha Olney, Mary Witherspoon, Hilary Grant, the Benthams, Helen Anstruther. Steven had had nothing to do with it and both he and Becca were astounded at how quickly word of her accident had got round and deeply touched that all these people should come to see her. They all knew about the engagement too and were delighted for the couple, oohing and aahing over the ring.

At half past four Nell and Kim came dancing in hugging and kissing both Becca and Steven. When Becca had shown them her ring Nell shyly held her hand out. Becca shrieked with joy and seized her.

"Nell, darling, oh Nell, darling I'm so pleased. Tom must be the happiest man on earth."

"Not quite," murmured Steven. Becca shot him a brilliant smile.

"Have you made any wedding plans?"

Nell shook her head. "Not until he's finished at university," she said sadly, "but he's right," she added loyally. "What about you?"

"Soon."

Kim had been looking round. "Do you know?" she said. "You're the only person with visitors. How sad!"

They chattered on. At ten to five Kim stood up. "I'm going to talk to some of these people on the way out," she said.

"Me too," added Nell.

They kissed Becca and Steven goodbye and slowly left, each stopping at a bed for a few words with the other patients.

"Those are sweet girls," said Steven to Becca.

Becca nodded. "Typical Kim," she replied. "She ought to be in a caring job rather than slapping paint on walls. She genuinely cares for people whoever they are. My dearest Nell is not far behind her either. She'll make Tom a wonderful wife. I'm thrilled for them both."

"I'm surprised Kim hasn't found a boyfriend because she's pretty too."

"She doesn't go out much. She's a bit of a bookworm and the Witherspoons have a piano which Mary taught her to play and she loves that."

"It says quite something for those two and for Maisie and Heather. The original arrangement for all of them was for six months and all four are still there over two years later."

"Mary and Hilary love them. So do the rest of their families. That's another reason I want to get this house. A number of the others are quite lonely and slumming it."

"You're going to have to get a pretty big house for ten or so girls."

Becca nodded happily. "Yup. Probably have to start a marriage bureau."

"Well," said Steven laughing, "I suppose I'd better be a good boy and disappear for an hour."

"Yes, darling."

They kissed and Steven walked away. He was stopped by Sister.

"You don't have to go, Mr Hardacre," she said smilingly. "We won't feed you but we might manage a cup of tea for you."

"Oh! Really? That's very kind. Why am I getting special treatment?"

"Because Mr Lovering would like a word with you on his way round." She grinned roguishly. "And we'd hate to interfere with young love."

Steven laughed delightedly. "Watch it, Sister," he said, "or some of it might spill over to you."

"I'm a respectable married woman," she retorted and pealed with laughter. "By the way, those young friends of your fiancée impressed me enormously the way they stopped to talk to all the other patients."

"They're special," said Steven. "There'll be another gang in at six and I'm prepared to bet a number of them will do the same. They're all orphans and know how much good a little love can do."

"Bless them."

Steven went back to Becca who was overjoyed. He told her of his conversation with Sister. She nodded and then her eyes sparkled.

"I think that Mr Lovering may be going to let me out tomorrow provided you promise not to let me overdo things."

"That's easy. You'll get intensive care."

Becca got the giggles. "That's what may be his worry," she said.

Steven blushed, which only increased her giggles into full blown laughter.

Becca's supper arrived and with it a cup of tea and a biscuit for Steven. That was cleared away and shortly afterwards Mr Lovering appeared.

"Well, Miss Hardacre," he said. "You've had a bevy of visitors, I hear."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.