A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 24

Tom came round to the Hardacres' one evening in late August. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up being your dancing partner," he told Becca. "Starting at university I really don't think I'll have time." He blushed and added. "What spare time I do have I want to be able to spend with Nell."

Tom was starting at Leeds University in September and was going to read law. He would live at home at least to start with in order to keep costs down. Frank was willing to pay for accommodation but it did not sit right with Tom. It seemed an unnecessary expense. He could see no reason that required him to live in as far as his course went and he felt sure that the limited social life that he intended to live would not suffer.

Becca smiled sadly at him. "I was waiting for you to say that, Tom dear. I shall miss it. I love dancing with you."

"Same here. It has been fun, hasn't it?"

"Yes. I've no doubt Giselle will pair me off with someone else but no one at classes has impressed me either as dancers or people."

"I'm sorry, Becca."

"Don't be. It's sad but your course and your happiness with Nell are much more important."

Tom hugged her. "You're a very special person, dearest Becca." He kissed her softly and she smiled back fondly.

Giselle grumbled. "You were so good together," she said. "One could see you shared a bond. I'll have to put my thinking cap on and then we're going to have to work hard to get you up to speed for Blackpool in six weeks time."

She found a young man, Christopher Hankley, in his mid-twenties whose partner had turned professional and gone to London. He was about five foot ten, well built and clearly fit and strong. He was also good looking. He was also very pleased with himself and it was clear that he was doing Becca a great honour by dancing with one so young and inexperienced.

There was no doubt though that he could dance beautifully. He quickly learnt that Becca did too and became slightly more approachable. They worked well together and Giselle was pleased with them. She did notice the lack of friendship. She spoke to each of them separately. Christopher responded by being flirtatious which did nothing for Becca. She tried to laugh and joke with him but decided he had no sense of humour.

They went to Blackpool and managed second place. The judges congratulated them on their technique, their choreography and their musicality but regretted that there seemed to be no bond between them.

"I did my best," said Christopher to her afterwards, "but I can't help it if you don't respond."

"How remiss of me not to notice," said Becca sweetly.

"Yes, it was a shame."

That was the end of that partnership and Becca somewhat reluctantly gave up competitive dancing. She still had Steven and there was no one in the world she enjoyed dancing with more. She went and bought a new LP that had a Charleston on it to celebrate.

In January Becca was approached by a fashion house in Harrogate. They had seen her in the Brain catalogue and wanted her to model evening wear. It would be a two day affair: choosing and fitting outfits the first afternoon with the photography the following day. The latter could go on late so she would be put up in a hotel for two nights. The company would pay for her train ticket and meet her at the station. She would be paid £150.

Steven and Isobel both offered to accompany her but she turned them both down. "You'd be bored stiff," she said, "and it would cost you money. I think that at eighteen and a half I can look after myself."

She was driven straight from the station to the fashion house, Soignée, where she was welcomed by a beautiful and immaculate woman in her forties called Alison Thorpe. She was warm, friendly and enthusiastic. They got busy straight away. As fast as Becca changed into something she was descended on by a tailor who cut and pinned. The garment was then handed over to seamstresses to work on.

Alison stayed with her throughout and nattered away amusingly. She and her sister were the joint owners of the business and had been running it for twenty years. Her daughter was going to join the team in two years time when she finished school although it could be later if she decided to go to university. She was fascinated by Damsels and full of praise for what they were doing for the girls leaving the children's home. She had been horrified by the revelations in the press about the abuse that had gone on. As for what Nell had gone through, her heart had bled for those girls.

"Tomorrow," she said, "you'll be doing mostly solo work but we do want to do some dinner, dancing and theatre shots with a young man called Simon Garfield. He's doing the same as you in another room. You'll meet him at dinner at your hotel this evening. My husband will be joining us as well. The dancing we'll do here but the dinner and theatre photos will be done on location so we'll be scuttling around a bit."

"Golly!" exclaimed Becca. "I'm being treated like royalty."

"You'll be a pretty tired princess by tomorrow night. Now, we're not going to miss any opportunities to show off our clothes so I'd like you to wear this tonight."

It was a pale green, sleeveless, long dress with a darker green collar which narrowed to a point between her breasts. The collar was wide enough to show the start of her shoulders and to accentuate her long, slim neck. It had a fitted waist so her figure was shown off to perfection. Her shoes with a brooch on the instep matched the collar of her dress. Alison dug in a raffia bag and handed her two jewel boxes. One contained diamond earrings and the other a silver filigree necklace with a ruby and diamond pendant.

"Those are to go in the hotel safe overnight," she said with a smile. "I daren't even take them home."

Becca was speechless.

"Oh!" exclaimed Alison, "I nearly forgot." She burrowed around in the raffia bag again and pulled out a tissue paper parcel. Inside was a pearl encrusted evening bag. "For your specs and toothpicks," she said and pealed with laughter. "That doesn't need to go in the safe. They're not real pearls."

"Oh wow!" breathed Becca at last. "Oh wow!" A look of concern crossed her face. "Oh gosh, I haven't brought any make-up with me."

"Don't worry, my dear, Alison's here." She led her over to the make-up girls. "All you need is a touch of lipstick, a tiny bit of blusher and a dusting of powder." The lead girl produced the required items that matched what Becca would be wearing. She also gave her a small bottle of scent.

Alison took her to the hotel and checked her in, pointed out the bar to her and, giving her hand a gentle squeeze, said, "See you there at half past seven. 'Bye for now."

Becca was shown to her room by a page who carried all her bits and pieces except her handbag which contained the precious jewellery.

"I'm sorry," she stammered. "I can't give you a tip because I haven't got a bean on me."

"That's all right, miss," said the lad. "Carrying the bags for such a pretty lady is a tip in itself."

She smiled at him. "Thank you," she said softly.

The page went slightly pink, bowed and left the room.

"Whee!" Becca said to herself. "They really are making a fuss of me. Wait 'til I tell everyone at home. I must remember to ask for copies of the photographs. Now, how long have I got? Just under an hour. It'll only take me half an hour to get ready. My own bathroom too. Don't let it go to your head, girl."

She kicked off her shoes and flopped onto the bed but her excitement was too great to stay there. She jumped up again and began to poke round the room, opening all the drawers to see if anyone had left anything interesting behind. All she found was a Gideon Bible. She riffled through the leaflets and read the emergency notice on the back of the door. She decided to run the bath and have a nice long soak and was thrilled to find that there was a complimentary bottle of foam bath.

"Another first ever," she giggled.

Shortly after half past seven, looking utterly beautiful, she presented herself in the bar. Alison was already there sitting at a table with two men. All three rose to greet her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.