A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 15

Mrs Olney rang as promised the following morning and Becca, as luck would have it, answered the telephone.

"It's Martha Olney, my dear. Mrs Anstruther told me you had some ideas about redecorating this tomb and asked me to ring you."

Becca laughed. "Tomb's the right word. Thank you so much for ringing, Mrs Olney."

"Since you're on Christian name terms with my principal I think you'd better call me Martha. By the way, what do I call you now; Rosie or Becca?"

"Thank you, Martha. I can't get over people wanting me to call them by their Christian names. Becca, please. I'm a new person in every way."

"Very well, my dear, Becca it shall be. I shall want to hear the whole story some time."

"I think everybody there will want to."

"You're probably right. So how can I help?"

"Well, I'd like to come over with Nell, Kim, Maisie, Heather and possibly one or the other of Molly and Jane and make a plan with you on the order in which you'd like the place painted, to talk about colours and when you'd be ready for us to start. I'm afraid we can't afford to pay for the paint."

"Don't worry about that. Helen says she'll find the money by hook or by crook. When do you want to come?"

"Up to you."

"Whenever you like. One day's very much like another. I'd appreciate twenty-four hours notice though."

"Of course. Let's try for Saturday at ten. I'll ring round everyone and let you know by tomorrow morning at the latest."

"Fine. I look forward to seeing you all.

Thanks, Martha. Goodbye."

"Goodbye, my dear."

That evening Isobel Edwards rang. Again, Becca answered it.

"Becca, dear, it's Isobel. I'm afraid Tom won't be able to go to dancing class tomorrow evening."

"Oh? Why not?"

"He's been quite severely bashed up by two boys at school."

"Oh no! What happened?"

"Two boys, he won't tell us their names, grabbed him behind the cycle shed. One held him while the other punched him, not on the face but all over his arms and body. When he started to sag," she started to sob, "they let him fall and kicked him until he lost consciousness."

"Oh no! Oh Isobel, that's awful. Is anything broken?"

"N-not as s-such but he's got a couple of cracked ribs."

"Oh, poor Tom! He must be in a lot of pain."

"He was but he's on pain killers so it's not as bad as it was."

"Oh, Isobel, the poor thing. Can I come over and see him?"

"I don't think tonight, my dear. He's really not up to much."

"OK, Isobel, I'll ring tomorrow. If he's up to it please tell him how sorry I am and give him my love."

"Thanks, Becca dear, I'll do that."

Becca put the telephone down and burst into tears.

Steven was beside her in a flash. "What's the matter, little one?"

She told him. "And it's all my fault," she wept, "because I pushed off that bloody Doug Allardyce and his follower Drew."

"Rubbish!" said Steven. "Well not entirely rubbish but I suspect that Master Allardyce, with his father's money, is used to getting what he wants. Tom had the guts to stand up for you when Allardyce was so rude at the coffee shop so he has to get his own back. It's a pity Tom won't tell on them."

"I jolly well will."

"I'm not sure that's sensible."

"Why not?"

"Because they may try to do the same to you only it'll be rape or something just short of it."

"I don't believe it."

"You better had, my precious."

"Oh God!" She hid her face against his chest. Suddenly, she looked up.

"You wouldn't let them. One of your men would be there."

"I'd hope so but I can't guarantee it."

Becca said nothing.

The following morning she went round to the Edwards's. Tom was sitting in the kitchen in a dressing gown looking forlorn. She ran and knelt beside him, reached up and kissed his cheek.

"You poor thing," she said softly. "I know who it was. Why don't you tell on them?"

"I don't tell on people."

"Nor do I normally but this time..."

"No, Becca. If it had been someone else who had been hurt I might but it was just me."

"Just me!" she exclaimed. "All right, you may be the only one who's been physically hurt but they've hurt your parents. They've hurt me and Uncle Steven as well. They deserve to be punished."

"I expect they will in due course when they do something else but I'm not sneaking on them."

"Well, I know who they were and a lot of it's my fault. Tom, you must say who they were."

"No, Becca."

Becca steeled herself. She was going to blackmail him. "What if they decide to attack me next?"

Tom took it calmly. He had clearly thought about it. "Then they'll run up against one of your uncle's strong men like in the coffee shop."

"That's what I said but he said he couldn't guarantee it."

Tom shrugged.

"I'll do it."

"Please don't, Becca. Hugo Allardyce has a lot of money and a lot of influence. He'd probably get them off any charges and then make life thoroughly unpleasant for your family and mine. He's got some strong arm boys as well."

"How do you know?"

"Common knowledge."

Becca decided this conversation was going nowhere.

"Did the doctor say how long you're going to be in pain?"

"He said the bruises would die down over the next two or three days but the ribs will take two or three weeks."

"Oh, my poor Tom."

He was touched by her sympathy and gentleness. "I really like this girl," he thought.

"Tom," she said, "I've got something important to tell you. There's no rush but I'd like to get it off my chest. If you're not feeling up to it it can wait."

"Would you mind?"

"No, Tom dear."

She stood and, bending down, kissed his cheek again and squeezed his hand. She went out into the hall and looked round. There was no sign of Isobel. She listened and heard a noise upstairs. She went up.

"Isobel?" she questioned softly as she got to the landing.

"In here", responded Isobel from her bedroom.

Becca went to her. Isobel noted the sad look on her face and held out her arms. Becca went to them and Isobel enfolded her. This was something that Becca had not experienced since her mother held her as a small child: the warmth, softness and gentleness. She bit back a sob.

"What is it, dear?"

Becca hid her feelings. "Poor Tom," she whispered.

Isobel tightened her grip momentarily to let her know she understood.

"I know who did it but Tom won't let me tell," Becca whispered. "He says I'd be sneaking and he doesn't do that."

"I know, dear," sighed Isobel. "I'd love to know but I must respect him and so must you. I suspect that in time he'll get even but in the meanwhile leave it alone. Please, Becca dear."

Becca looked up. She could see the pain in Isobel's eyes but also the pleading.

"OK," she said.

At dancing class that evening neither Doug nor Drew made any attempt to approach her. Doug sneered but looked quickly away when Steven glared at him. Becca was partnered with a woman and quite enjoyed swapping the lead with her. She also thoroughly enjoyed learning the basics of the Charleston.

At the end of the class she was surprised not to see Steven. She had not noticed him go out. She guessed he must be waiting in the foyer for her. She gathered her things and went out there. There was no sign of him. She waited for a few minutes in case he had gone to the lavatory but he still did not appear. It was odd but she could only assume he had already gone to the car. She set off for where it was parked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.