Bought and Paid For - Cover

Bought and Paid For

Copyright© 2010 by happyhugo

Chapter 1

The call came into my office at ten in the morning from the owner's secretary. "Miss Dumont would like to see you in her office before you leave for the day. Shall I tell her that you will be there? Three o'clock is the time she suggested."

"Yes I will come up. What is this in reference to?"

"She didn't say. I will inform her of your decision to be present."

I worked for a fairly large privately owned corporation. Miss Dumont had taken over from her father six months ago. I liked her father and we had got along great, he liking me for my attention to my job. I rarely saw her and more rarely had a conversation with her, even though I had been introduced and had been bade to address her by her given name. I found the daughter too full of herself after she became head of the corporation. I had no idea of her age, just that she must be short of thirty.

I was thirty-one and had worked here for the past five years. I could be described as a loner. Many times I had been approached with interest by some of the women I worked with. Women did not hold that much of an attraction for me at the present time, although I was aware of them. A former situation before arriving here had determined my mind-set. I had overheard a conversation about myself that I was a hunk, but that I must be gay for I never dated and kept to myself.

I managed the finance department, only having the CFO above me in the corporate hierarchy. I lived by myself in a small condo near the corporation headquarters and most usually walked to work. For recreation I worked out at a gym and was an avid reader, spending much of my spare time in the library. I also watched college football in the fall and basketball in the winter months. One weekend a month I took three days and visited my family. This never varied.

Was I lonely? Of course I was. I had at one time been married, but had found my wife in the arms of another man while partying. This was something I couldn't accept so I had divorced her and moved here more than three hundred miles away. My wife and I still saw each other for we had two children together, hence the reason for the long weekends. Susan, my wife, had implored me to forgive her and reconcile, but at the time I was hurt and stubborn and refused. She retaliated by flaunting her lovers before me and didn't stop until I warned her that she could lose custody of the children by such actions.

This happened during the first year after the breakup and after the warning I saw no evidence that she was other than a good mother. She never said anymore about wanting to get back with me, knowing she had lost all chances of reconciliation. We worked together making sure the kids were as happy as could be under these circumstances. When I went to visit, I stayed with her and the children. We acted just as a normal family did for the short period of time I was with them--except I never went to her bed.

I never asked them to visit me, but I did spend the weekend every month and of course my vacations. Over time the children adjusted to this arrangement and I suppose on some level we all had a measure of happiness. It certainly could have been better. Susan and I got beyond wanting to hurt each other. I knew she dated on occasion, and once in awhile I would call an escort service when I felt the need for female companionship. I made no commitments and I never planned to make any.

"Barry Duncan, go right into Miss Dumont's office. She is expecting you." I opened the door and went in. I knew Miss Dumont's name was Tyne, but I kept this on a formal level.

"Miss Dumont."

She was standing. She had on a woman's business suit and white blouse. I would say she was five-foot-six, maybe a little less if she had flats on. She was full busted and her hair, a dark brown, was cut to a pageboy style. "Barry, thank you for meeting me. I have some questions for you. I would like to have you answer them truthfully and then I will explain. Please have a seat."

I waited for her to cross to her desk and be seated before I sat facing her. "I have looked into your personnel records. That tells me you are single and you have an address near here. Is there a woman in your life?"

"No."

"I know I shouldn't ask, but are you gay? You are a handsome man. You are tall and trim and keep yourself well."

"No I am not gay. I just have no interest in women at the moment."

"That is good. Good for me, I mean. My father has told me some good things about you and of course there are those around here that make comments. If I explain something and it comes to nothing, would what I have to say be kept in confidence?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I'll trust you. What I would like to do is buy your name for the next three years. It would mean that we would have to go before a justice and be married. On paper only, mind you, except for one time we would have to come together to consummate the union to make it all legal. I have been promised some money from my grandmother. I must be married and stay married for a set amount of time. Those are the conditions to claim it.

"My first priority has been to take over the corporation from my father, which I have done. My grandmother, though, has been upset that I haven't married before this. It is a considerable amount of money and although I'm considered well off, I want to make her happy. She doesn't have long to live and she claims she may not last three more years. In fairness to her, I would stay married for the three years as required. Would this be something you could consider?"

"I might consider it, but I would want several things spelled out. Where would I be living? With you or do I keep my own place? How much am I expected to appear at your side? I am considered a loner and need my own space. Also I am committed one weekend a month for personal business with some of my relatives."

"I think this could all be worked out. I have lived in my parents' home all of my life and for the last few years have had my own wing. You would be living in their wing as they have moved south to a warmer climate. There are two bedrooms, a kitchen and a sitting room in each wing. Your apartment is bigger than the condo that you live in now. There is a large common area that we would share and where I entertain. I think I will say you are leasing it from me and there is no reason to say we are married. Except before my grandmother, of course.

"I will keep the times we have to appear together to as small a number as possible. We would be expected to be seen together sometimes and of course, we would often be with my grandmother together. I guess we should go out a few times on dates before we get married. Again this is for my grandmother to see.

"Now as far as compensation, I will pay you $100,000 each of the three years we are married. I will give you a $100,000 bonus if you do this and don't complain or try to get out of the marriage after the ceremony is performed. I can't think of any reason you would want to under this arrangement."

"I can." Tyne stared at me. I think she thought flashing that much money in front of me would get me to agree to any and everything. "I will not be humiliated in any way. By this I mean if it becomes known we are husband and wife, you will act as my loving spouse in any public situation. If you find yourself needing a companion other than me, you will not flaunt him in front of me and I will extend the same consideration.

"If you find yourself in love with someone, and that could happen, I come first in the eyes of everyone, including your grandmother and your folks. I will not be the butt of anyone's jokes. If you do, then I will do my damnedest to see you lose this considerable amount of money you say you are working for. I would even give back what you have already paid me. Is all of this clear?"

"You are serious, aren't you?"

"Yes, but as long as we are honest about this arrangement, there shouldn't be a problem. How much time before you must be married?"

"I have five weeks."

"That's not long so I guess we better get started. Tyne Dumont, may I have a dinner date with you this evening?"

Tyne studied me. "Then you are agreeing to everything we have discussed?"

"Why not? I'm soon to be your husband. We will have to trust each other. I'll pick you up a seven-thirty for cocktails. Now if you will excuse me, I have just a little more paperwork to do to finish the day." I turned and opened the door. I glanced back at my future wife. She looked as if she didn't know if she had done the correct thing or not.

We had a very nice evening. It was a first date with some uncertainties, but overall it was fun for both of us. We were fairly close while dancing, but I didn't kiss her when I returned her to her door. She was a lovely lady. I sent her flowers the next day to be delivered to her office. It wouldn't take long before a lot of people would know I was dating my boss.

Two days later I was asked to go with her to meet her grandmother. Talk about lovely ladies, this one stole my heart. I knew if this marriage with Tyne went down in flames, I had at least met someone that I could love and respect as a friend. Tyne was amazed at how well I got along with the old lady.

Again I dated Tyne on the weekend and we ended the evening with her showing me the quarters I would be living in. "My quarters are almost identical in the other wing. Dad planned it that way. By the way, I called him and told of our dating. He was very pleased."

"I do like your father very much. I have never met your mother, but we will probably meet at our wedding."

"Getting comfortable with the idea?"

"Yes as much as you, I assume. It is a big step for both of us. I must remind you that I will be away next weekend, Friday through Sunday."

"Where does your family live?"

"Quite a distance from here. I have to fly. I will be back on Monday and we can finalize our wedding plans. Will we be going on a honeymoon?"

"One week, that is all. Barry, do you expect to move out of the position you hold and are you willing to forego the next step up?"

"I really would prefer to stay where I am. I know I can do Pete's job as CFO, but that would mean more traveling and more involvement in policy making for the corporation. I don't think I want to do that at this time."

"You aren't too demanding in your role as my husband-to-be. Are you going to be satisfied staying where you are then?"

"Yes, for the three years I will."

"What are you going to do with the money I'm paying you? You haven't said how much of a consideration it is in your agreeing to all of this."

"I'll invest it, I think. You haven't said, but you will be taking care of all the household expenses. I probably will be buying a new car for myself. That will be my only large expenditure. Let me ask you what you are going to do with the money you get when we are married as your grandmother wishes?"

"I haven't thought about it. Gram said she was giving it to charity if I didn't come through. That seems like such a waste."

"Let me get this straight. You are rich already and yet you see more money out there and to keep some needy people from having it, you are willing to spend $400,000 to get it."

"That sounds terrible to put it that way. I could give some to charity as well as Gram, you know."

"Yes, but will you?"

"Barry, I think you better leave. I'll see you tomorrow." I could see that I had touched a nerve in Tyne's thinking and she was displeased. I did send flowers again. She would probably take it as an apology, but it wasn't--I was just keeping up the charade of loving suitor.

Midweek I received a note from the grandmother asking me to come visit Thursday evening. It was more of a command than request. I complied.

A maid answered my knock and after announcing me said she was leaving. I found my way to the older lady's sitting room as directed. "Sit down young man. It was nice of you to come. How are you getting along with my granddaughter? You know I have always been very close to Tyne. I have noticed something strange about her lately. She doesn't look me in the eye like she used to. I'm sure it has something to do with you. Would you tell me what is going on?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.