Displacement - Cover

Displacement

Copyright© 2010 by dak

Chapter 9

Jenny

Karen sat across from me looking over several papers; she was shaking her head.

"Well, these are all patents we can produce over the next few years to keep our company funded. We just register another one every 6 months and we should have a steady stream of income to fund our research."

"And what are we researching again?" Karen looked over at the stack of print outs.

"Well, several areas of study, mostly areas that relate to my travel here."

"You mean time travel; your company will be researching time travel?"

"Well no, not officially. Just all the areas that leads to it, including how I got imprinted into Jimmy"

"So you can find a way out of Jimmy?"

I could feel Jimmy get tense at that.

"Yes and No. We need to know more about the process first."

"I see."

"So you will be the one in charge, on paper, of the company until we come of age."

"And you and Jimmy trust me that much?"

"Jimmy does."

Karen smiled at that.

"And you?"

I frowned.

"It's harder and harder to separate our feelings from one another, so yes, I trust you. But I also know with out my knowledge the company doesn't work."

Karen nodded.

"I'm glad you thought it through, though I am still hesitant to do all this." Karen was looking over the papers.

"Why?" I asked.

"We should tell Jimmy's parents some of this."

I shook my head.

"No, Jimmy and I are agreed on this. They can't know about any of this, his dad will try to take over, and worst if they know about me, they might have Jimmy committed."

Karen frowned.

"You don't know that."

Jimmy

I took over with almost no thought about it.

"I do, Miss White. They don't think I know, but before Jenny came they had given serious thought to putting me in a group home. I heard my Dad fighting for it."

"What about your mom?"

I could feel my eyes misting up.

"She didn't want it, but in the end she had agreed. I think she was delaying it by saying she couldn't find the right one for me."

Miss White got up and hugged me.

"Okay, Jimmy, we will do it your way." She said holding me.

"I am sorry Jimmy, I didn't know they where going to do that."

"Its okay, Jenny, I understood their reasoning, still do."

"Doesn't make it right!"

"It doesn't matter now, Jenny, things are different."

"Yes they are, kid."

"So what's the first step to take for the company?"

Miss White let me go and went back to her chair.

Jenny

I felt Jimmy hand me the reigns.

"Well, there in the package are the instructions to get the ball rolling, along with a cashiers check for the lawyer fees."

"What?"

"What, where did you get money?"

"You sleep a lot, Jimmy, I just used some of your savings to invest in some stocks I remembered."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want to get your hopes up. I knew they should do well, just not 100%, but they did."

"Oh, how much did we make?"

"You only had a few hundred, but I managed to turn it in to 30k, and it's still growing."

"Whose name is it under?"

"My dad's. He always let me do all his finances, so I just set up a brokerage account with his information. Don't worry, he won't know."

"Oh, okay, I guess."

Karen was tapping her fingers on the table, looking at us. I smiled sheepishly and explained everything and by the end, she was nodding.

"As long as you keep an eye on that, and shut the account down when the company is formed," Karen said.

I nodded.

"Of course."

"So it's settled, we are starting our company," Karen smiled.

I nodded.

"Never thought I would be a business man."

Jimmy

Miss White left with all the paper work for the company, along with some of the new patents Jenny had finished. I could feel Jenny drifting off.

"Have you slept?"

"No, Jimmy, I was too busy preparing all that stuff."

"Well, Jenny, I have school work to do, so why don't you catch some sleep?"

"Jimmy, I said I would help you with it."

"Jenny I think I can handle it. Besides, if I have any problems I'll wake you."

"Okay, Jimmy."

I could feel her drift off. I grabbed my back pack and pulled out my books. I was spending so much time in the garage now that we had brought my desk from my room and added it to the growing collection of equipment and furniture.

Jenny and I had both begun to have strange dreams, vivid ones that felt as real as what I was doing right now. We had them together and independently of one another. There was a common theme in them; they all took place at different times but that was it. The dreams seemed random in that we could end up doing anything in them, even washing dishes.

I was finishing up on my home work when Jenny woke up with a start.

"It happened again!"

"Another dream?"

I reached over for the journal we had started to keep.

"What happened?"

"Well, I was riding a horse; it looked like I was heading to an old town on the horizon. I was going along a dirt road..."

"What else, Jenny, any details?"

"It looked like something out of a western, Jimmy. I had a gun on my belt, and I was female."

"Just like my dream ... What does it mean, Jenny?"

"I don't know Jimmy, I really don't."

"We need to try and take in more details every time, and record as much as we can."

"Right..."

I could feel Jenny's exasperation at not knowing what was going on in the dreams.

"Jenny, don't worry, we will figure it out," I said out loud.

"Could be nothing to figure out, might just be our imagination."

"True, but I know you're thinking what I am thinking too."

"I don't want to jump to any conclusions just yet."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.