Full Circle
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

They flew to Denver where they were met by a man called Nat Mulheim. He was their opposite number and would be their host for the visit. He took them to another part of the airport where they boarded a USAF aircraft which took them to an airbase in the middle of Nevada. Their classified material was already in Nat's safe, having been sent ahead two weeks earlier by the government security service, so they were shown straight to their rooms in the Bachelor Officers' Quarters. Nat said he would meet them in half an hour in the lounge and they would go and find some lunch.

Wendy unpacked her suitcase and then lay on her bed. She was tired and hoped that they were not going to get straight down to business after lunch. She and Peter had talked at the start of the flight and then she had tried to sleep but it had not been a success. Just as she was dropping off they would encounter mild turbulence which would wake her. She also was convinced that the engine noise changed tone but having woken found it was still droning on as it always had. She envied Peter. He appeared to go out like a light and stay out.

She did not lie down for long as she realised she would drop off to sleep. She washed her face and did her hair which made her feel better. She arrived in the lounge on time. Peter was already there.

Nat was a charming and amusing host. He was well aware that they would be disorientated by the time change and warned them that it would be worse on the return journey going against the sun. There would be no business that day although they would meet everyone with whom they would be involved for dinner. The afternoon was theirs but he would be happy to give them a conducted tour of the base. Peter was enthusiastic. He would get a look at the aircraft. Wendy was torn. She felt that if she was going to be worth anything at dinner she needed to sleep but then that might affect her that night and she would be below par the following day. Nat solved the problem for her.

"Why don't we do an hour or an hour and a half tour then you have a couple of hours' shut-eye? After that, if you feel like it, you could have a swim before changing for dinner."

"That sounds wonderful but I haven't brought a costume."

"No problem. Before we start the tour we'll call in on my secretary and ask her to find you one."

"Great! Thank you very much, Nat."

"You're welcome."

They did that and Wendy found herself in good fettle for dinner which was hosted by Nat's director. There were fifteen other people present and all were very welcoming. Wendy and Peter sat on either side of the director with Nat opposite. They were given an outline of what would be happening. They would do their presentation in the morning at ten-thirty, which would give them plenty of time for preparation. The afternoon would be a question and answer period followed by a short presentation of some of the things the Americans were working on which could be of interest to the British. There would be a final question and answer session the following morning. After lunch the two of them would be flown back to Denver ready for their flight home the next day.

Everything went well. Their hosts were very appreciative of the information they were given and their questions well informed. In return they gave Wendy and Peter a fascinating insight into the research they were conducting. The secure courier service was going to have three times as much to take home.

They had been booked in to the Warwick Denver Hotel.

"Golly!" said Wendy looking round as they checked in. "This is going to have to be mentioned in our thank you letters."

They were given adjoining rooms and Peter knocked on Wendy's door once he had settled in.

"What do you want to do for the rest of the day?" he asked her.

"I'd quite like to see some of the sights but I don't want to do that too energetically."

"That sounds good. I see the hotel provides a free car service downtown. I'm sure Reception could give us some help and guidance. What about this evening?"

"Well, unless we spot something special elsewhere why don't we eat here?"

"Fine by me. Are you ready?"

"Yup!"

Reception could not have been more helpful. They suggested that they take the free car service and then stay with their driver who would drive them around for an hour before picking people up for the return journey. All they would have to do is tip him. Thirty or thirty-five dollars was recommended. They also booked in for dinner at seven.

Restricted by baggage allowance, Wendy had not been able to bring out a special dress but she had one in electric blue. It had shoulder straps but had a sufficiently plunging neckline to hint at her cleavage. It pinched in at the waist and fell clingingly over her hips to end just below the knee. Her medium heels tightened her calves nicely. It was a simple outfit but it showed her, without any ostentation, as the very attractive young woman she was.

Peter, when he came to collect her, was entranced.

"You look lovely," was all he said but the fact that he gave her a peck of a kiss and then firmly tucked her hand under his arm showed that he was deeply impressed.

They had a delicious dinner and the service was excellent. Their waiter asked if they would like to have their coffee where the band was playing and moved swiftly to reserve them a secluded table. They drank their coffee and Peter ordered white wine.

Their conversation over dinner had never faltered. They covered work briefly: what was going to happen now that there was no reason for two separate projects. Both hoped they would continue to be able to work together, if not as closely. They talked about gliding, sailing and their theatre trips.

It was something that he had never mentioned before but, over coffee, Peter remarked on the closeness of her family.

Wendy nodded. "Obviously I love my mother and after Dad died we became even closer."

"But you're a lot closer to Bill than most step-fathers and daughters."

"Yes," said Wendy wondering how she was going to explain it. She decided to leave out the first bit.

"I was his lodger, along with another girl called Sally, and got involved with a guy who actually gave me the creeps. He started stalking me. Bill saw him off well and truly." She giggled. "I ran across him again in town one day some time later. He took one look at me and fled. Anyway, I then got involved with another student and moved in with him. He turned out to be ultra-possessive and caned me when I disobeyed him. I won't go into details but Bill rescued me from him. So you see, I'm deeply grateful to him. Then he loves Mum and he's just such a lovely man and a wonderful father I can't help but love him too. I'm very, very lucky with my step-father."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.