An Odd Discovery - Cover

An Odd Discovery

Copyright© 2009 by Telephoneman

Chapter 2

The rest of that week was awkward. My attitude had changed towards my assistant and was now coolly professional. I saw that she had noticed and that she appeared a little surprised and disappointed, which I put down to her being found out. That Friday the mood in our little office was so different than the week before whilst we were putting the finishing touches to the new bid. Around lunchtime I was called into see Mr. Thomas. This was a rare but not unknown event and I assumed he was checking on where we were.

When I arrived I was greeted politely by Mrs. Gifford and ushered straight in, which for me was unknown. Mr Thomas and his son were in conversation and stopped immediately they noticed me. William Thomas looked a jovial character must of the time. He was fifty-six years old, just below 6' in height and carried no more than a few extra pounds. It was only his silver hair that gave his age away. He had a smile for most people and had the respect of most too. It was sometimes difficult to remember that he was a successful businessman and able to make hard decisions, as Philip Dane had already discovered.

"Ah! David." He said politely. "I'm sorry to have to tell you that Richard Greaves had a fatal heart attack early this morning."

With his first words I thought my time at the company had reached its conclusion. I was surprised though only by the timing. All that left my head immediately I realised what he was saying. Richard was like a second father to me and although I knew he wasn't well this was one hell of a shock.

Mark interrupted my thoughts when he said. "Anyway, we all know that you were doing most of his work lately so it really shouldn't affect us. Just carry on as normal. Oh and bring the bid to me when its done so that I can ensure it suits our needs."

I felt my anger rising. Mark Thomas was a slimeball. He was about 24, tall and handsome and so full of himself that there wasn't room for anybody or anything else. He wasn't fit to lace Richard Greaves' boots. All he was concerned about was how Richard's death affected him.

I didn't answer. I just turned and walked back to my office in a daze. I was upset at losing a friend and fuming at the way his death was being looked at as an inconvenience. By the time I sat down the anger had taken over from the sorrow.

"Amanda!" I shouted sharply. "How is the bid coming along."

She looked up and had I been more aware I would have noticed that my uncalled for tone had hurt her.

"About half an hour should see the first proof done." She answered in the very business like manner that we had been using.

"Good!" I said, thinking that would be plenty of time to write out my resignation.

I quickly typed up my notice, giving no reasons, just stating that I was resigning with immediate effect.

Thirty five minutes later I was back in Mr. Thomas' office watching him read my notice.

"Why? Why now especially?" He asked.

I thought for a few moments before deciding that I did owe him an explanation.

"I can only answer that by being totally frank. Is that what you really want?"

He nodded.

I paused to gather my thoughts and try to be succinct as possible. "Why? Because of the way this company is heading. It has always been a family business with the workers as the children and you the father. Now your own children have pushed the staff out. Mark stabbed Philip Dane in the back and just hasn't got the experience to replace him. Up until recently the management held the respect of the workforce and they had earned it. Your son joins us and he demands instant respect and is scorned for it. Wait until an urgent order comes along, the men won't knuckle down as they've done in the past. Mark treats them like dirt yet expects them to treat him like royalty, it won't happen."

I took a breath before carrying on, a little surprised that Mr. Thomas had made no comment so far.

"As to why now. Your son's attitude to Richard Greaves' death and your acceptance of it was the final blow but with you lining up your daughter to take over our office then my position was only ever going to be short lived."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.