By Chance - Cover

By Chance

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 15

Hank was indeed perkier the next morning. His eyes were brighter and there was more colour in his face. He gave Fiona a radiant smile. She could still only kiss his forehead though. She resumed her place on his bed and took his hand once more.

"You're looking so much better," she said. "With a bit of colour back in your cheeks your beastly wounds don't look so awful. How are the aches and pains?"

"Much better thanks. They haven't gone by any means but I don't think I'd have needed painkillers for them today. Even so they've given me a jab because my legs, particularly the right one oddly enough, are still giving me a bit of gyp."

"Yes, that is odd because it's the left that's broken."

"Barbara said something about the healing having started and it always being a bit painful to start with."

"She's been in already has she? How did she manage that? They were very firm that I was not allowed in until eleven."

"The dreaded nursing mafia."

Fiona laughed delightedly.

"They shovelled me out so quickly yesterday afternoon that I wasn't able to tell you that both Grace and Robin rang while you were asleep. I answered your phone. I hope you don't mind."

"Of course not. What did they have to say?"

"They both sent their love and said they'd try again today. Robin said he and Beth would be down at the weekend."

Hank chuckled. "Miss Grace hedging her bets as usual but I expect she'll fly in and fly out at some stage."

"I spent quite a while with Barbara after I left you. I like her and felt at ease with her."

"Fully paid up child psychologist."

Fiona laughed. "She told me why she wasn't prepared to marry again though and why she knew the two of you would fight."

"I have never understood that."

"I said that I didn't either and she said that there was a bossy side to her and she didn't like to be gainsaid. She said that she was sure that her bossiness was a factor in her husband having a heart attack."

"Good Lord!"

"She was very glad she had never shown you her bossy side."

Hank shook his head. "She's so level headed and sensible. I suspect she overworked the guilt bit because of her grief. 'Physician heal thyself.' Oh dear! I imagine it's too late to do much about it after all this time. Poor girl! At least you and I can hardly blame ourselves for our spouses' deaths."

He reached up and stroked her cheek with the back of his fingers. "Anyway, enough gloom. Did you speak to your young yesterday evening?"

"Yes. They love going to my parents who spoil them something wicked although Daddy can be quite strict with them, particularly the longer they stay. Mummy says he gets tetchy after a while which is why I must go and fetch them next Monday at the latest."

"Then what?"

"That depends on you. Barbara and I discussed it. We reckoned you'd be happier in your own little nest than anywhere else but you will need to be looked after. Probably by me. She's also letting Bella out twice a day but says she needs exercise which she hasn't time to do."

"But what about the children?"

"They'll be with Sheila or me. They'd love to walk Bella too."

"You really don't have to do this, Fiona."

"Yes I do," she answered fiercely.

"Oh! Oh! Another bossy-bags!"

She punched him playfully on the shoulder and then looked grief-stricken. "Oh, Hank my sweet, did I hurt you?"

He smiled at her. "No, my sweet."

Fiona went puce with embarrassment and looked down.

"Gotcha!" said Hank to lighten things.

She looked up shyly and smiled back. "Don't let it go to your head," she said softly.

Hank smiled gently at her and stroked her cheek again. "Very well, Ma'am."

At that moment the door opened noisily and a young orderly wheeled in a trolley.

"Hello, Hank," he said cheerfully. "Here's your lunch. Let's get you sitting up a bit more."

Fiona cringed. "I don't doubt he means well but for a young man like him to be so familiar..." she thought. She resolved to have a word with Sister on her way out.

"Do you need help?" she asked Hank when the bed head had been cranked up.

He started to shake his head and stopped abruptly. "I don't think so, thanks. I'll just try not to be messy. Anyway, what about you? You must be feeling a bit peckish."

"I am now I come to think of it. I'll pop down to the shop and get a sandwich. Back soon."

On her way, she did have a word with Sister. "I don't want to offend anybody," she said, "but the young orderly bringing round lunch has just cheerfully called Brigadier Brierson Hank. I really don't think it's appropriate."

"Oh my goodness!" exclaimed Sister. "I had no idea. I'm so sorry. I'll make sure that never happens again. Thank you, Mrs Brierson."

Fiona stared at her for a moment and then got helpless giggles. Sister looked at her in amazement. "Adams," Fiona finally managed to gasp. "I'm only a friend," and started laughing again. At length she pulled herself together. "I'm sorry. Perhaps one of these days I'll be able to tell you why that was so funny. Thank you for being so helpful and understanding."

She went on down the corridor still chuckling to herself. "Just as well Sheila and the children weren't there," she thought which renewed her laughter.

She ate her sandwich and had a cup of coffee in the cafeteria adjoining the shop and then went back to Hank. His lunch had been cleared away but the head of his bed was still raised.

"Are you comfortable like that?" she asked.

"Yes, I asked them to leave it. What have you been up to?" he asked as she resumed her seat on the bed and picked up his hand once more.

"Why do you ask?"

"It's just that that young orderly came to collect my lunch things and with eyes like organ stops said, "Are you really a brigadier?"

That set Fiona off again and, somewhat against her better judgement she told Hank of her conversation with Sister. Hank laughed with her but his hand in hers tightened its grip when she mentioned the Mrs Brierson bit. It did not go unnoticed even though each carried on as though nothing unusual had been said.

Lunch had revived Hank. "Now then, Mrs Adams, why did you suddenly decide last Friday that you were so excited about seeing me for lunch yesterday apart from talking to me?"

Fiona looked down at her hands and was silent before speaking. "A number of things," she said in little more than a whisper. "I do enjoy talking with you. You make me laugh and you make me think. I can forget my worries for a while. But then, you had removed those worries and I thought about all those hugs and kisses we had promised each other and I suddenly realised how much I was looking forward to them. I then thought that I didn't have to go back to work and that we could go for a walk on Barrossa and do a bit of that hugging and kissing without people in the pub watching. That's why I got so excited."

She felt his hand tighten again. She smiled crookedly at him, "But it looks like they're going to have to go on hold for a bit. Now, I've got a question for you. You said you had a plan for me to show my gratitude. What is it?"

"Not yet, my sweet. You're not ready to be told but when you are I'm pretty sure you'll think it's a good plan."

"Meanie!" She could not look cross or disappointed with that 'my sweet'. Now she was sure that the 'my love' on the telephone had been meant. Her heart beat a little faster. She changed the subject.

"Have they said anything about when you may be let out?"

"Not really. The specialist yesterday morning said something about at least a week."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.