Battlemage: Book 5 - End of a Legacy and New Beginnings - Cover

Battlemage: Book 5 - End of a Legacy and New Beginnings

Copyright© 2009 by Risq

Chapter 1

"See the red head over there? Yes, the one with the long braid hanging all the way down her back? Yes her, she is the one that I'm paying your guild to take care of," said the woman with shiny black hair.

(Long low whistling sound)

"You weren't kidding were you? She is really gorgeous. And you said she is almost 40? Wow, I never would have thought that from just looking at her. I think I may really enjoy this job," said the man grinning as wide as possible.

Unconsciously he compared her to his dark haired companion.

While his companion was still very attractive, and as they traveled to this city he found her an interesting, very experienced, and very eager bed companion, he now suddenly found that his target was much more appealing to him.

He suddenly knew that he would enjoy this job very much!

"You know, I'm paying you extremely well to complete this job. Think you can keep it in your pants until you're finished?" asked the dark haired woman frowning at the man.

"I'm a professional, I always keep it in my pants until my job is finished," said the man frowning back at her.

"Well just so you know, she is still just as dangerous as everyone has always heard and I'm very nervous because I don't want anything to ruin my plans after planning this long to get my revenge," said the dark haired woman with a grim smile.

"They will be leaving either today or tomorrow and I want to make sure we have everything setup the way it needs to be and the men are ready to move at a moments notice when everything falls into place," said the dark haired woman.

"Just to make sure I know what I'm doing, I want to confirm how many are we talking about one more time?" asked the man.

"Fine, fine, from the information I paid for I was told it will be seven, four young girls, two older women, and her. She can use both Magic and weapons. So she is the most dangerous one," smiled the woman with a grim smile moving her hands dismissively.

"I know it's none of my business, but you really want your revenge don't you Ms. Van Shelton. While it's no skin off my nose and this is a job I really enjoy, almost ten seasons is a long time to work on a plan to still try for revenge on someone," said the man

Since she was paying for his services she always insisted everyone address her as "Ms." in any conversation with her.

"While it's not any of your business beyond what I pay you, I think I'll humor you today because everything is going well so far and I'm in a good mood.

'It took me this long just to get all the info I had on them, get your guild to work with me, and then later to raise enough money in secret to cover the requested fee. I couldn't pay your fee through normal channels or it would leave a trail back to me. I needed a way to get my revenge.

"And she will pay for interfering in my life and taking the one man who was supposed to be my husband from me. And by now I'm sure that slut has long forgotten about me," said Vanessa.

"But why did you want to come with me to follow them and make sure that everything was prepared?" asked the man. "I'm just scouting for the rest and we already have your files on them."

"Because I want to be there once it is finally over and make sure that the last familiar thing she ever sees will be my smiling face when she realizes that I've finally paid her back for what she did to me," said Vanessa as she now smiled with glee at the retreating form of Rayne's back.


Rayne was enjoying the walk back home as she exited though the city walls. She was humming a happy tune to herself as she walked the path back to her home.

Today she had finished getting all the needed travel supplies because her, her mother Brianna, and Cassie were starting their trip tomorrow to head to the Sisters of the Sacred Blade guild.

The youngest girl, Gail and Jaden's daughter Haley, had turned 10 last month.

Darla and Caelan's daughter Gem had turned 10 three months earlier. And after speaking with Ann-Marie they decided to bring all the girls up to the guild at the same time once the youngest turned 10. It would allow Brianna, Rayne, and Cassie to train them as long as possible. Brianna had taken to treating Cassie as if she was another one of her children.

Rayne chuckled to herself. She was right that Caelan, Jaden, and her father all balked at the notices from the guild. A few months after each of the girl's birth, their daughters (Aric's grand-daughters) would receive a notice that said that they were now registered and one day they would be expected to join the guild. And as she predicted, Brianna needed to convince everyone that it would be for the best.

Rayne chuckled to herself again. Her father was the only one who probably always enjoyed his convincing she always thought.

Rayne thought back as she walked about the children and the changes over the seasons.

There were six kids born over the seasons. There were four girls and two boys that were born with-in the family.

Caelan and Darla had two kids, and both were mages. They named them Gemma or "Gem" and Michael "Aaron" Griffith.

Michael was born first and is 12 seasons old. Since they couldn't really think of a middle name the both just had to have, they decided to name him after Darla's father.

Gem came along two seasons later and Darla badly wanted to name her after her mother. And Caelan didn't have a problem with that. But they decided to call her Gem for short for short to keep it from being confusing.

Gemma was flattered and didn't mind her being named after her, but really didn't want her called "Gem". She felt that it was to close to her given name Jewel. And she was still trying to keep Aaron from thinking back about that time.

But Aaron came to the rescue and said that it was time to let go of that foolishness and that the child had done nothing wrong. Gem still needed to live her own life, and honoring her grandmother would be a fine way to start it.

Then he held her and said that she was too precious to not be the Gem of his eye and smiled at Gemma. She just smiled at them both as tears ran down her face.

Gem was a cute little girl with green/brown eyes and jet black, and her brother had Brown hair and blue eyes.

Even though Caelan tried hard, neither child had any real aptitude for weapons. Gem was just considered passable with a Bo staff by Brianna's standards, but that probably made her better than average for any child her age and size. But they were very good at magic.

Michael favored green magic like his father but Gem appeared that she was going to be a blue mage, as she was very strong with different aspects of blue.

She had already demonstrated abilities with telekinesis, hidden shields, and making herself invisible seemed to be one of Gem's specialties. Michael was already into his third circle already seeming to favor lighting attacks similar to her father, but Gem was just starting to master the second circle.

But even though they enjoyed their children, they lost Gemma and Aaron last season. That was a sad time for them all.

Aaron and Gemma had always taken to walking under the stars for seasons in hand in hand, but one night last season Aaron must have known something was wrong because when they took a walk that night Aaron sat Gemma down on the bench, sat next to her, smiled and said that he has loved her very much over the seasons and couldn't have asked for a better wife and gently kissed her lips. To always remember that he loved her very much no matter what happens.

Gemma cried and hugged Aaron and said she has loved him for so long she was so happy to spend her life with him.

But the next morning Aaron was found having passed away in his sleep. He looked peaceful, but he was 82 at the time.

Gemma was heartbroken. Darla and Bryan tried to do what they could for her, but it was apparent to everyone that Gemma no longer had the will to go on living.

While Aaron was alive she was always energetic and smiling no matter what. But she became quiet and despondent after his death. She would take to periods of sitting alone staring off into the distance not responding to anything anyone said to her.

A few months after Aaron's death Gemma was found in her bed having passed away now herself. But everyone thought she was happy because she had a peaceful smile on her face once she was found. Everyone thought she might have been dreaming of Aaron and happier times.

Darla and Bryan were heartbroken as well. They lost both of their parents pretty close to each other. But everyone realized as well that they loved each other enough that no matter who went first the other would probably go soon after. But Caelan and the family did whatever they could to help Darla and Bryan get through this.

But over the seasons Darla's personality has changed from what it was when they were children. She is now more outspoken and less shy and quiet. But she is still the sweet person she ever was and still worries about her neighbors all the same. And she still loves Caelan as much she did from day one.

Gail and Jaden both had two children as well. They have a 13 season old boy they named Ayden who has curly brown hair and brown eyes, and is an excellent mage he has already mastered his third circle of magic and is starting to learn his forth.

And they have a 10 season old girl named Haley who has brown hair and dimples and is very good with a single sword or a bow. And she has excellent control for someone her size. She is petite and half a head shorter than the other children. But she seems stronger than she should be. She is a very cute little girl.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.