Incoming - Cover

Incoming

Copyright© 2009 by Remo Jackson

Chapter 15

Commander Bauer walked the halls of 7th Division HQ. Passing several officers, some in groups, and others alone, he returned salutes and continued on his way. His uniform, light gray utilities without a nameplate lent an air of anonymity as his travels led to the CIC.

Captain Winslow moved Archangel and its support ships to a polar orbit while the re-constituted Battle groups of Gamma and Beta moved to screening positions around the planet. All fighter and tactical aircraft returned to their base ships leaving only a small flight of Raptors on a rotating CAP.

Major Hunter's Special Forces teams regrouped on the surface, a small tech team with a security element remained below to continue operations.

All APC's patrolling the surface were recalled to their respective Alpha Bases and ordered to stand down. Lieutenant Waters and his platoon, cut off without a vehicle, unable to contact Alpha Base, their long range commo system had been in the now destroyed APC, had no way of receiving the recall message.

The Sirius vessel reached the debris/asteroid barrier and began the slow process of navigating through the narrow channel.

The McAfee and the Paladin took the Algearian vessel into tow and moved to an elliptical orbit around UNL-465.

On Broder Prime, Admiral Kirby announced to the population of the three planets that Chancellor Harrington had taken ill suddenly and due to the current operations involving an unknown enemy force of size and strength, all units were hereby on alert, all reserve components were to report to their duty stations. Kirby recited regulations that required him to step in 'temporarily' to ensure continuity of government in this time of crisis, until a suitable successor could be found or the Chancellor made a full recovery. He reassured the population that everything was fine and would remain so. Most citizens didn't question his announcement. Those that did kept it to themselves and only spoke in murmurs to others who thought the same.

Senator Carson stood in front of the viewport staring out at the polar caps of UNL-465 and silently toasted the unfolding events.

"This is outrageous!" Chancellor Harrington fumed as he paced the detention cell. Grunther was seated at a table formed from the same material as the walls and floor.

"I agree sir. But we aren't exactly in any position to do anything." He said sullenly.

An electronic beep from the doorway and an IS trooper in full armor appeared before stepping aside and General Beckett was pushed into the cell. The door closed behind him with a solid thud.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.