Cherry Bomb - Cover

Cherry Bomb

Copyright© 2009 by Three Sheets

Chapter 17

I'm glad we had the mesh on today. As we headed on the 121E to 75N I thought we had hit a wall. The heat was terrible but that is what we had mesh and cool vests for. We hit the Oklahoma border with no problem and then it was on to Tulsa.

We traveled 75N to 69N then jumped over onto the 60E. It was a nice quiet ride, a few twisties and a lot of farming. Since it was Sunday, we just took it easy. I think Reggie wanted to stop at every roadside fruit and veggie stand we found.

We stopped in Neosho, Missouri for a quick lunch and a few pictures. We must have gotten there just after a church social since the town square was packed with people leaving and waving. I had to pay attention since they weren't. After leaving the town, we picked up speed a little but I made sure to keep it well under the posted limit. The Missouri Highway Patrol Officers are a bunch of humorless folks when it comes to speeding Californians, and the locals aren't far behind.

We made it through Jenkins on the 39 and I saw a Motel 6 on the outskirts. I just didn't want to take the chance of being tired on an unfamiliar road by pushing it to Branson. We checked in and had just pulled the mini-cooler into the room when we noticed "The Korner Kafe". Without even unpacking, we walked over to the diner hoping to catch it before it closed. I did NOT want fast food.

We walked in and you could have heard a pin drop. Ok, picture this. Two strangers dressed kind of funny (mesh and leather) in a town of 400. The first thing I expected was "Ya'll aren't from around here are ya?"

Instead, I got, "Have a seat and take a load off; coffee?"

Oh, yes, Reggie and I both wanted something with caffeine. The water we sucked on was fine but let's be reasonable. We took off the mesh and cool vests. We could have done that at the motel but I didn't want to risk this place closing early on a Sunday. We seated ourselves at a booth and everyone started talking again.

We had two cups of coffee on the table along with menus. The waitress asked if we wanted to hear the specials. I let her get as far as the 16oz prime rib when I stopped her. Reggie asked for a smaller cut but other than that, the order was the same.

We had just started to unwind when one of the locals asked how far we had come that day and where we were headed. We let him know we had left Dallas that morning and we wanted to hit Branson tomorrow. Stay for a night or two then head on to Memphis. He recommended that we time it to hit Sikeston around 1 or 2 for lunch at Lamberts. Reggie looked at me with a question.

I smiled and told him, "I haven't had a "throwed roll" in several years."

He laughed and said, "The place is still there and the food is still good."

Reggie was still looking at me like I was crazy. So I took pity on her and explained. "Lamberts is a restaurant that specializes in 'Home Cookin' with an emphasis on HOME. You order your meal but there are servers that come around with large pots of macaroni and tomatoes, mashed potatoes, and other side dishes. If you wanted more bread, a dinner roll, you just hold up your hand and they throw one to you. It is a fun place and the price is right."

We had our prime rib delivered and you could cut it with your fork. It was that good. They had real horseradish with it along with wild rice pilaf and veggies; all of this for $31. You had to love home cooking.

We wrapped up, carried our gear across the street to the motel and just went for the shower. After that, we collapsed. Fresh air, good food and a long day on the road will do that to you. I would like to say we "christened" every motel in every state we crossed but that just wasn't in the cards.

I did remember to put in a wake up call for 7 AM.

The phone rang at 7 and I thanked the lady. I decided I wanted another shower to get things rolling so I did my 3 S's and was drying off when Reggie came in. She did her thing and we walked across the road for breakfast. We discussed our route and figured we'd be there around 10 AM so there was no rush. After finishing breakfast we went back to check out and I asked the counter clerk if they could get us reservations for the night in Branson. I told her to use the same credit card we just paid with.

She told us to go ahead and load up and she'd try to get something for us. Did we want one or two nights?

I said one if possible but two wouldn't kill us.

We went to the room, loaded all of our gear and leathered up. It looked like another scorcher so Reggie dunked the cool vests in the bathtub to let them soak up some water. I went to the office and found that we had reservations at the Motel 6 outside of Branson for one night. I figured we would play it by ear about the shows.

As if reading my mind, the lady behind the counter asked if we wanted shows.

"Yes, I thought we'd take pot luck once we got there."

"You'll never get in there just waiting; there is a two-week waiting list for most of the shows. Hold on, let me check for you." She was on the phone again and I heard, "Two tickets, Shoji, tonight at 8."

She waved me over and asked, "How much do you want to spend?"

"How much are they?"

"They are kind of high, $60 each but they're real good seats."

I didn't even think about it. "Done! Do they need a credit card?"

"No, they'll be included with your room and they already have your card for that."

Oh, yes! I was a happy camper. Reggie was going to die. We had both wanted to see a Branson show, but to get tickets at that price for Shoji; I don't care if they are in the nose bleed section, the man puts on one heck of a show.

I thanked the lady and then got the directions to get to the Motel 6 in Branson, actually Hollister but that's close enough.

We started out on black top (asphalt). It was summer, warm and while it looked like fun, I knew by 10 or 11 this road would be slick with heated oil. We took our time. The road, while I had never ridden it, was familiar like hundreds of others. I was brought up in this area so I know the kind of road we are talking about. Off-cambered curves, 45 degree warning arrows when 90 degrees would be more appropriate. It was interesting.

We pulled into Hollister and the Motel 6 right at 11AM. It was a good feeling when I went to check in. I asked for and got a room on the ground floor. I didn't know that when the lady in the other motel made the reservations, she asked for a ground floor room for us because of the bike. I paid for the room and the tickets and then went to our room to drop our trailer and find a laundromat.

First things first. We did laundry, including what we were wearing. I was running around in board shorts and a T shirt. Reggie seemed to have shrunk her two-piece because the one she had on today was definitely smaller than the one she had on in Dallas. I'm NOT complaining.

We finished the laundry between taking dips in the pool. We suited up in leather and mesh and did a tour through the town. Talk about CROWDED! It's a Monday and you can't get anywhere near a theater. There are pocket amusement parks, antiques, and souvenirs. I pointed out the Moon River Theater (Andy Williams), Yakov Smirnoff, Box-Car Willie, Dixieland Stampede then I pulled into a parking lot and told Reggie this is where we'd be tonight.

As soon as her helmet was off, I was wrapped in a delightful bundle of woman.

"You are going to get SO LUCKY tonight!" she promised.

After that statement, who was I to let the cat out of the bag and tell her we lucked into it through no efforts of mine?

We jumped on the bike and went through town again and I just couldn't bring myself to stop at any of the tourist traps.

"Reggie dear, are you hungry?" I asked.

"Oh yes! Just smelling all the stuff here makes me hungry."

"Well have you had a Steak and Shake?"

"No, what's that?"

"Heaven!"

As soon as we cleared the major loop in Branson, I went back to the 65 and went north. I saw a Steak and Shake at the overpass so in we went.

I was very good. I ordered a steer burger, fries and chocolate shake. Reggie ordered the same and we were not disappointed.

We finished up and went to a souvenir shop that was located next to the Steak and Shake. Reggie saw all the walnut salad bowls and went wild. I kept trying to tell her we were on a bike but she just kept stacking. By the time she was finished, she had four large salad bowls and 32 small serving bowls, along with several sets of salad tongs and forks for tossing. I was still shaking my head when Reggie asked what the shipping to California cost and to please add that in.

As we were leaving, she stopped and picked out two more sets and had those added in. Quite pleased with herself she got on the bike and informed me that the souvenir shopping for everyone was completed. When you get to thinking about it, that isn't a bad way to do it.

We went back to the motel and got back into our swimming suits. Reggie's had shrunk again so I just enjoyed the view. As we were playing by the pool, I asked if there was anything else she wanted to do or go see.

"Not really. It's nice to have the option, but it's even nicer to be able to say no. I just want to lay in bed with my lover."

We floated on the pool rafts for the rest of the afternoon, only moving enough to flip when we started to get warm. For being on a road-trip type of vacation, we were getting some serious sun. Reggie was in full bloom with the freckles that a natural red (auburn) haired woman has for her complexion. Unlike a lot of women so blessed, Reggie just embraces it. I think, no, I KNOW, she has the attitude that she was made this way for a reason and she was going to enjoy it. I just love a person who is happy in their skin.

I think it will be fun to count and tag each and every freckle with my tongue. That is definitely on the "To Do" list for this vacation.

We continued to float and hold hands in the pool. Luckily, we had a couple of cold colas with us and we did something that a lot of folks on vacation don't do. We relaxed. We didn't care if we had to be anywhere, even if we did, but we knew we could stay like this all night if we wanted. I found that most folks have their vacations planned down to the last hour as if it's a military operation so they can "get the most" out of their time. Sorry, I think a vacation is a time for recompression and relaxation; the only thing I HAVE to do that is optional is pick out what I want to eat. Now THAT'S a vacation to me.

We climbed out of the pool when we were feeling rather wrinkly. Back in the room, we lay across the bed and just held each other, kissed where we could and caressed where we couldn't.

Then we jumped into the shower to rinse off the chlorine. Reggie had spotted what looked like a decent restaurant on the drag in Branson so we leathered up and went to dinner. I don't think any place required reservations except the theaters. We had a nice meal that wasn't extravagant in any aspect other than price. Remind me to stop at Steak and Shake on the way back.

We parked the bike close to the front entrance of the theater and went in to see probably one of the finest fiddle players in the world. Shoji just puts on one heck of a great show. It's not all about him; he has the standard "Ozark" (read corn pone) humor with a Japanese accent, with singing and dancing.

You can bring your kids to just about every show in Branson. If there is a problem, they will let you know well ahead of time. I know I wouldn't want my kids to see Larry the Cable Guy or Ron White. Hell, I don't want to see Larry the Cable Guy. For the most part though, it's all family-oriented and just a lot of fun without the language that so many others feel is necessary to be "entertaining".

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.