Cherry Bomb
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2009 by Three Sheets

I woke up first thing in the morning to a soft pair of lips kissing me. I rolled over and grabbed but found only air. Reggie was already up and said she'd drive today and be home by 5:30. I rolled back over and pulled the covers over my head but eventually got up and jumped into the rain locker. (That's a shower.)

I dressed and went into work to get the rest of the travel plans made. I had just walked into the office when John came out and said, "Break out the corporate beer."

I had to know what the occasion was. So he said we lost the contract in Puerto Rico. I just looked at him and raised a Spock-like eye brow. He started to laugh and then I realized that HySys had under bid us by over $50,000 after we crunched numbers to make a 1% profit. We KNOW they are going to lose money and that means they will default on the contract and it will cost them even more. So we were both happy about that little bit of bad news on a competitor. There was no love lost there since we watched them open our bid and adjust their bid to beat us. We had it on tape that they had inside help and this is the result. It looks like no one is getting paid.

So we toasted ourselves and prepared to resubmit with a bit more profit built in since HySys, by Puerto Rican law, was going to be banned from bidding the new contract once they defaulted.

We looked at the rest of the week and I told John I was going to relax before I left the following week on the trip and I'd see him Monday. He wanted to know when he'd get a chance to meet the new love interest. All I could say was soon.

I left to go home and decided I needed to get some bread for the weekend's BBQ. I headed to Julian and Dudley's bakery. I pulled out onto 5 North and then jumped to 15. Traffic was light and I was cruising nicely. As I got to Scripps Poway Parkway I slowed enough to take the off ramp, then on to CA 67 without going through El Cajon.

Going through the industrial park that wasn't there 4 years ago, I could only wonder. It was a nice wide road with a median and lots of straight-aways and lots of cops. I just relaxed and went with the flow. I let the ones go around who had to get there first, listened to the CD changer with Allison Kraus and unwound.

I got to the intersection of the 67 and turned left on my way to Ramona. There were several twisties but nothing to write home about. I just cruised on up and through Ramona. Looking for some decent fruit stands on the way up. Taking some of the twisties along the way and watching for the oncoming traffic kept me busy. It was nice running this road during the week. No traffic and no crotch rockets out to prove something.

Just past the Star B Ranch, there is a chicken ranch. If you don't see it, follow your nose. I pulled into the egg stand and bought a flat of double yokers for fun. (Gotta love that cholesterol.) I pulled out and continued on my way to Dudley's and some fresh potato bread.

I saw Dudley's sitting at the bottom of a long straight away. This is a favorite for crotch rocket riders to open it up and hope there isn't a sheriff's car at the base of the hill. I pulled into the parking area and just sat listening to the last of the Allison Kraus song that was playing.

I shucked the helmet and jacket and went inside to enjoy the smell of fresh baked bread. I looked at what was offered for the day. Normally they are out of a few things so it's best to read the board before you order. I picked out three loaves of Potato Bread, two loaves of Cheddar and one of Cinnamon.

I had gotten everything stowed away in one saddle bag and was just relaxing with a bottle of water when I heard a rather loud discussion going on between a couple around the corner.

I figured they were having a little dispute over the fact that she was a hurting unit with dust and grit getting buried in her legs when he was well protected with leather. Sure enough that's what it was about, I watched the corner as she came around in shorts. She had some SERIOUS legs and they were red with wind burn and probably dust and a couple of good dings that needed some water to clean them off.

She went inside and her riding partner (read Power Ranger suited-out poser) came around the corner. He saw me sitting on my bike and came over to admire it. Regardless of what you ride, you always check out other bikes.

I couldn't resist and asked what happened.

He said, "The stupid cunt didn't dress for the ride and I'm not going to be blamed because she was uncomfortable."

I just looked at him and asked, "Why did you let her on the bike if she wasn't dressed right? It is, after all, your responsibility for her safety. You are the one in front aren't you?"

"Yeah," he said, "but I'm not her Daddy. She needs to know how to dress for this, not just show up in shorts and look cute."

Again, I just looked at him and asked, "Why didn't you tell her before you let her on the bike if she wasn't dressed right?"

"Hey," he said getting a little defensive, "It's not my responsibility to dress the dumb assed cunt. If she isn't dressed right I shouldn't have to spoil my fun by having to listen to her bitch."

I could only shake my head because he no sooner said that than he caught a helmet right in the back of the head.

"Dumb Assed Cunt! I'll show you dumb ass," she screamed, as she took another swing with the helmet.

I have to admit, the kid could take a shot. He turned and caught the helmet and jerked it out of her hand and had just drawn back his hand to hit her when I grabbed him by the shoulder. I just pulled him back off balance.

He swung around at me and I just said, "Don't let common sense and the fear of God change your mind about what you want to do."

So far, I hadn't done anything except grab his shoulder but I was still sitting on the bike as if nothing he could do would hurt me. I think the fact that I didn't follow up with threats or yelling or an attack caused him to wonder what I had that he didn't.

He backed up a little and looked at his now ex-girlfriend and sneered, "Have a nice walk home, bitch."

He walked away to his bike. I heard him revving it up after a minute or two and then he came out of the lot. He was acting all macho and throwing gravel. As he got on the highway, I watched him pull a wheelie that almost flipped him. He did go through two more gears before he dropped the front end and sailed home.

"What am I going to do now?" the girl asked.

"Do you have someone you can call?"

"No, everyone is at work or school and wouldn't be able to get here until late tonight."

"Where do you live," I asked.

"Imperial Beach."

I had to laugh. "I live off of 13th and Hemlock"

"I live off of Saturn."

"Well let's get you home. I hope you don't have to be there soon because I am on a mission and still have another stop to make."

"I can't ride like this, no helmet, and I'm not really looking forward to getting any more wind burn on my legs," she said.

"Well, the helmet we can fix, I have a spare in the trunk. I also have a pair of sweats I use if it gets cold. You can put them on over your shorts. There isn't a lot we can do for your upper body. Just sit straight and hopefully we won't need leather."

"Where else are you going?"

"I'm on my way to Julian for an apple pie then home."

"Are you sure you don't mind?"

"No, just relax and enjoy as long as you don't mind a comfortable ride home and I'm NOT in a hurry so speed isn't my thing."

I got her into the sweat pants that were considerably larger on her than me. I had her get on the bike and I plugged her into the intercom. I stepped over and plugged in also. I started the bike and got us turned around. I immediately felt her arms go around my middle and her slender frame press against my back.

I told her, "Just settle back if you want to hold onto something, grab my belt."

"This is too weird talking while we are on the bike. I'll have to get used to leaning back."

"Well just relax and listen to the tunes," I said as we pulled out.

We were just coming up onto Julian and I saw the sign for Pine Valley Lodge and made a mental note to make reservations there soon before it got too hot.

We got to Julian 5 minutes later and I turned onto Main Street. I found a spot to park right in front of Mom's. Say what you will and no matter who wins the contest for best apple pie, I like Mom's.

I got us settled and stepped off the bike. We looked a sight, me in the leathers and my passenger, I didn't even know her name, in sweats and a belly shirt. I looked at her a little closer as I helped her off and quickly decided if she was probably in her early 20's that is VERY early 20's.

I asked if she wanted a piece of pie and said I'd buy. She nodded her head yes and we went in. I ordered my favorite Dutch Apple, and a slice to eat there with a cup of coffee. My new friend ordered the same and thanked me as we sat down.

"I'm Dom," I said as I stuck out my paw to shake hands.

"Thank you for the lift. I'm Shelly," she said taking my hand in hers.

"How did that happen?" I asked.

"Well he wanted to ride and asked me along. He said it would be ok to work on my tan a little while we were on the road. I had no idea how much the gravel would hurt when it kicked up. I didn't get a lot but what I got hurt like hell.

"When we got to Dudley's I was really hurting. When I went inside I did try to call a couple of friends to come get me but they weren't home. So I came out and heard his last comment and I was so pissed. He didn't say one thing about how I was dressed."

"Well there is a reason he's in leather," I said. "The same reason I'm in leather or at least armor to a certain degree."

After admitting she was dumb to not ask or look into it more, we decided she'd be ok for the ride home.

As we were stepping out of the restaurant, she said, "I still have my driver's license and a credit card, let me get a long sleeved shirt at least."

She was gone that quick. I went over to the bike and did a quick check on the cargo before I stowed the apple pie in the trunk.

That girl must have set a record for fast buying. By the time I had the pie settled in and secured, she was back with a zipper sweat shirt.

We got on the bike and headed out. I told Shelly to just lean back and enjoy the music and view. We left Julian behind and went to Cuyamaca and the Lake of the same name. There was a lot of twisties this way but I decided to take it easy since I was not familiar with how the cargo would act on a tight turn and she didn't have any protection except for wind and then not much.

I turned up Allison Krause and asked her how she liked it so far.

"I'll never get on another sport bike again. This is great. I always wondered what people saw in bikes like this. I thought a bike this big would be a Harley or something and loud. I never realized how comfortable it is and you have a radio."

"Actually it's a CD changer but I do have a radio. The reason this is so comfortable is because it was made to go cross country in style. Let's see your friend on his bike and me on this one go to Phoenix. He MAY get there first but I doubt it. I would get there rested and ready to party that night, all he'll want is a Jacuzzi and bed."

We talked a little more about the differences between the two bikes. Allison finished and Bering Straits started. I just love the difference in the two styles.

Shelly asked me if this was the only type of bike I had ridden.

"No. I used to race District Six Moto-Cross a long time ago. I also used to ride a cruiser and yes, I rode a Harley. I didn't like the Harley -- too much maintenance to be done and it wasn't a real reliable bike at the time. So I changed to the Honda touring bike. At the time, it was the biggest thing on the road and it has stayed that way along with the comfort. As you can tell it's a little more comfortable than the sport bike.

"I have friends that actually have their cell phones hooked into the intercom and they can talk that way. Sorry it's not going to happen on this bike."

"This is a LOT more comfortable and I can actually relax a little. I couldn't do that on the back of his. I was too busy hanging on for dear life."

"Well, we can do twisties too, but why? I'm enjoying the ride in the country, and I don't have to worry about getting dinged because I don't 'carve' the curves the way a sport bike will.

"Although I have been known to leave a little chrome on a few curves, you aren't dressed for it and I'm in no hurry to push anything. We'll just take it easy and enjoy."

We came upon Lake Cuyamaca and the lodge that was being rebuilt after the last fire. We moved along through the burn area and you could still smell the fire even a year and a half later. This is something that would not happen in a car unless the windows were open or it was a convertible with the top down. The good news, after the stench of the fire, was that everywhere we looked it was greening up, sort of God's way to renew.

We continued through the Cleveland Forest and, twenty minutes later, we were at Highway 8. Not wanting to draw anything out, I headed west on 8 and home. I figured I would be home by 5 with plenty of time to spare. Just relaxing on the highway would be fine but you can't totally relax on the bike. Yes there are creature comforts but you also only have a few layers of leather between you and the road and I did have "unwrapped" cargo so I took it easy and set the cruise control at 70mph and let it go.

We talked a little more about why she hooked up with Mr. Crotch Rocket only to find out that this was her first time on the bike even if they had been going out for a while (3 weeks).

I asked what she did for a living or was she in school or what. She actually was in school; it was her third year at SDSU as a marketing major. (What ever that is.) So I let that one go. I didn't know you could get a degree in sales.

We were getting closer to Viejas Indian Reservation and the Casino there so we were getting hit with more traffic. I took it off cruise control and just steadied up in the left track of the number 2 (outside/right) lane.

We were just getting to the west side of the reservation when my CB came on with someone calling for the Red Wing west on 8. I answered and recognized the chapter director's voice.

After I identified myself, he wanted to know what was going on and who was cargo. I just let him know it was temporary but that Reggie and I would be at the meeting place tonight. I saw him coming up behind me. I figured he was on the frontage road when he spotted me and yelled.

He moved up behind me in the right track of the lane and we matched speed moving west to El Cajon. I asked him what he was doing out here and he replied that he was setting up another dinner ride for a few weeks from now.

I didn't want to leave Shelly out of the loop so I introduced her to Mark, the Chapter Director. I told her to press the push to talk button for the CB and she said hello.

Mark was not about to ask why she was there instead of Reggie and I decided to not say anything to see how things worked out tonight. (I do like to keep them guessing, especially after the self-destruction of Lynne.)

We rode together for the next 30 minutes then Mark took off to go home and I took the 125 south to make it to IB in a reasonable time. It was getting on to 4:30. I bypassed a lot of traffic when I got off onto 54 and then headed straight to 5 south and home. Shelly directed me to her apartment on Saturn and we turned left and headed farther south from Palm.

I was just pulling into the parking lot when Mr. Crotch Rocket pulled up and started in on Shelly and then me for picking her up.

We had already gotten off the bike and I had my helmet off. Shelly had hers off also. She handed it to me and walked over to her now (I assume) ex boyfriend. She reached up and grabbed him by the bottom of his helmet and pulled down real hard. His head followed then his body. The next thing I know is his bike was on the ground, he was on the ground and Shelly just stood over him and mocked, "What's the matter? Can't keep it up?"

I thought I was going to die laughing. Shelly reached over and took his keys from the bike and removed one from the ring. "You won't need this one anymore. I suggest you cut your losses and leave."

I was worried about her not being able to take care of herself until she pulled this out of her hat. Mr. Crotch Rocket got up like he was going to fight until I just sat there and told him to leave. He got the message, got his bike upright and started it up again. He was so mad he peeled out of the parking area and wasn't looking at all when he popped his wheelie in front of a San Diego Police car. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Shelly thanked me for the ride and not making her feel too bad about acting the fool with him. All I could do was say, "Live and learn. At least this one didn't hurt anything except maybe your pride."

She took off the sweat bottoms and handed them to me with her thanks and I re-stowed them. I put the spare helmet in the suitcase and slapped mine on before I pulled out. I was accelerating when I noticed the black and white with Mr. Crotch Rocket pulled over writing a ticket. All I could do was laugh a bit and hope he calmed down before he took off again.

I stopped off on IB Outlying Field and gassed up. I then went home and, as I was pulling into the garage, Reggie whipped in next to me. I had just taken my helmet off when she plastered herself against me and gave me a toe-curler that made me want to forget about the bread.

"Let me jump in the shower first and I'll change so we can get going," she yelled over her shoulder.

Dang! I didn't even get a chance to kiss her back.

I opened the saddle bags and trunk and ferried my loot into the kitchen.

After putting everything away, Reggie, (her timing is great) walked in as she was pulling a T shirt over her head.

"How was your day, Love?" she asked.

"Well it was fine. We had a hand in costing HySys a bundle and we'll have another shot at Puerto Rico for a chamber," I replied. "I also went to Julian and picked up some bread, a pie, a blonde, and a flat of double yoke eggs. Then came home. The usual. Are you ready to leave?"

"What kind of pie, and where's the blonde?"

"I couldn't slide that one by you, huh?"

"Not even a little bit. Are you going to keep her to yourself or share?"

"The pie is Dutch apple, and actually I dropped her off at her place." I then went into detail about what brought the close encounter of the blonde kind into being and we both had a good laugh at Mr. Crotch Rocket's luck.

"You know," Reggie said, "I don't think he's going to get any tonight. You also know I don't mind if you have friends other than me, just tell me about them."

"Yeah I know and you take all the fun out of it when you remind me about that. But, I really don't have the urge. She was in trouble and she was cute, so me, being a person of "Sterling Character" could not leave her there to wilt on the front porch of Dudley's; now could I?"

"No, I guess you couldn't. I can't figure out what in the world went on there, other than two folks who need to grow up a lot."

"I don't know either. I do know that she has a better appreciation of bikes now. In fact we might even see her if she wants to ride."

"Oh, and why is that?" Reggie asked, arching an eyebrow in curiosity.

"I told her I have a seat open during the day since my girlfriend has a real job and she doesn't mind if I carry strange cargo." I chuckled as I noticed Reggie's eyebrow arch higher. "I'll believe it when I see it though; she is a bit young even for me."

"When am I going to meet this young lady?" she asked.

"Well, we can always swing by on the way out."

"Ok, sounds good!"

We loaded up and once the leathers were on, we headed out to the garage. I got on the bike and had it turned around and ready to go by the time Reggie had a helmet on.

As we pulled out, I said we'd swing by Saturn and say hello and introduce the two of them.

We went to Shelly's and I knocked on the apartment door. As soon as it was opened I saw that Shelly cleans up good! She is about 5' 6" and nicely built although a little slender, maybe nice C cup, if you know what I mean. I did say she was blonde. Well let me make this clear, she is blonde with a capital "B." By that I mean Carol Wayne, Platinum Blonde and it doesn't look like it has much help since I noticed her eyebrows are even lighter.

I invited myself in with Reggie and introduced the two of them. I also made it a point to let Shelly know that Reggie knew of the riding invite. This seemed to shock Shelly a little and I told her that Reggie and I have no secrets from each other, besides birthday and Christmas presents. Reggie just said to have fun and leather up and added that if she needed to use them, there are leathers at the house so not to feel shy.

Reggie then asked if Shelly wanted to come along for the night. I just mentioned getting a side car with a laugh. Shelly agreed and said she'd meet us at the restaurant. Reggie wasn't having any of that, so she said to meet us at the Wal-Mart and bring a helmet, just in case.

Shelly already had a pair of Levi's on and she grabbed a light leather jacket and said she'd follow us.

We saddled up and as we pulled out I saw Shelly pull out behind us.

"Ok, Love, what is that all about and why are you trying to set me up?" I inquired.

"Well, she is cute but I'm just making her available to anyone in the club."

"Reggie, most of the folks that are in the club are MY age or older and the younger ones are already married. Besides, you haven't even met most of the group. What are you trying to do, start a harem for me?"

"Well, you found me out. I'm just letting those we meet know that you are well and truly taken. It's up to them to figure out by whom, but it will be fun to watch. I'll have to keep an eye open for wagging tongues. Were any of them tight with Lynne? Even though they may only be passing acquaintances, she's going to find out about it and I don't care. You are mine now, even if it hasn't sunk in yet."

"Oh believe me it's sunk in! I just don't know if the rest of the world, namely my riding buddies, are ready for it. I do, after all, have a reputation to maintain and uphold.

"So tell me Lover, what or how are we going to introduce Shelly? Shouldn't we talk to her about any of this? After all, she is going to be exposed and won't know what to do."

"Well, Dom, would anyone raise an eyebrow if you were to show up with just her?"

"No, not really. Although she is considerably younger than anyone I've ever dated."

"So we just show up and be honest. We introduce her as a friend of the family. That way, if you do ride with her on occasion and I'm not there, folks won't raise an eyebrow. That will also clear the air if anyone else shows up with you, besides me; although, that won't be happening a lot, trust me on that."

We arrived at the Wal-Mart with Shelly in tow and started the necessary introductions. The group, as it stands and from what I have found out over the years, do not simply say hello. The guys hug the girls and vice versa so everyone is very friendly and most folks are instantly comfortable.

I took a bit of good natured ribbing about the two girls. But, all in all, everyone seemed to accept things as they came. Sybil immediately latched onto Shelly and started grilling her about how we met. Once she determined Reggie had actually invited her along, she settled down and took over hostess duties for the introductions.

We stood through the instructions and directions to the restaurant and Shelly said she'd meet us there.

We split into groups and saddled up. I took the back door on the group that Rob was leading and we pulled out. I enjoy being the back door on a group of knowledgeable riders. I don't have to do a lot; although, most folks think the back door runs the show.

As we pulled out of the lot I stayed back and let the front door know when the last of us went through a light or cleared an intersection. We got onto the highway and Rob called for me to move the group to the number 2 lane. I checked my back and moved over one lane then told the bikes in front to "bring it over as a group". When done properly, it looks like you rehearsed it. Most of us have been doing this type of riding for a while so it ends up looking like a well choreographed ballet. I moved us over to the number 2 lane so we could just cruise. We had a long way to go and I didn't want to change lanes a lot. Thank heavens Rob was my front door and we think a lot alike; so no drama, no surprises. I don't think I would do this if he wasn't the one in front. We just think so much alike that we have fewer incidents on a ride than almost anyone else in the group. We don't like surprises on the road. With the exception of an occasional fast mover coming up on us, we didn't say a lot. If there was debris in the lane it gets called out over the CB and we avoid it. If there is someone trying to cut into the group we know that too and back off to let them pass through. (Law of Tonnage)

Other than the occasional dummies who try to share a lane, the ride went smoothly. We pulled into the lot of the north county restaurant and settled in for some good food. Shelly was already there since she left before us, so she was saving a table for the three of us.

The three of us sat with Rob and Sybil. I should have known better but Sybil just couldn't resist.

"So Dom, is Shelly moving in within a month the way Reggie did?"

I just about choked. "Dang it, Sybil! She doesn't even know my last name."

"That didn't stop Reggie and look at you now -- all domesticated and house broke. It hasn't even been a week!"

"Sybil, you were in on the house training. Oh, as far as being domesticated, dream on!"

Shelly was, by now, thoroughly confused until we told her that I had known Sybil for a lot of years. I almost said longer than she had been around but I'd have been off by a couple years.

We had a great time getting to know each other and Sybil did dial it back a bit. By the time I walked Shelly to her car, she was a lot more relaxed than the start of the evening. I gave her a quick hug and admonished her to be careful and call my home and leave a message letting us know she had arrived home ok.

I got my promise from her and went back in to fetch Reggie, or is that rescue her from Sybil. Even though we had shared a hot tub, they still didn't know each other that well and I definitely didn't want Sybil to fill her in on all the gory details. She does, after all, know where most of the bodies are buried.

I got in just in time to hear Reggie say, "HE DID WHAT?"

I think Sybil was passing on family secrets.

Yep, as soon as Sybil saw me, she started calling, "Here Piggy, piggy, piggy!"

"Ok, that's enough! I don't need any more embarrassing stories told about me."

"That's one I didn't know about," Reggie said.

"Well let's keep it that way. I do like to have a little privacy."

"How the hell is it going to go when everyone in the club knows about the Westerner?"

Sybil almost fell out of her chair when she heard me mention the Westerner.

"Westerner! Hell Dom, I was talking about St Louis and Washington Street that one night late in a recruiting vehicle. I didn't know you did it at the Westerner, too!"

All I could do was hang my head. It's sort of like Harry Truman said, "Sometimes you have to act like a Jackass in a hail storm. Just turn your back, hang you head and take it."

"On that happy note, I'm out of here," I said. "Reggie, lets bail. I'll talk to you tomorrow Rob."

Reggie and I left after all the obligatory "so longs" and "see ya's."

It was about 8:30 and Sybil and Rob followed us out as did a few other couples. We were just settling in when the CB broke squelch, it was Sybil wanting to know if we wanted to go get some Ice Cream. Who am I to turn down that? We heard a couple other bikes chip in with affirmative answers so we formed up a gaggle of 7 bikes and left for Coronado. There were closer places but we do enjoy the people-watching at Moo Time.

We strung out onto Camino Real and headed south to Palomar Airport Road. We turned west and picked up I-5 south in a mile. You have to admire the sight of a large group that rides together a lot. We just had a little larger group than we arrived with and we acted the same way, safely. We rode front door/back door and we stretched out a little longer than a Semi, but we were still manageable.

Most of the bikes were lit up like Christmas trees with all the "Safety Chrome and Lights" so when we were on the road with all the lights going and maneuvering through traffic it is a site to behold. We hit the Downtown S curve doing 65mph and set up for the Coronado Bridge when Rob comes across and says we are going up the Strand. It will be easier to park since there will be no left or U turns to make.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.