The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 36

Tay's classes were normally on a Tuesday evening which suited James very well, it being one of his evenings off. At the beginning of May the instructor asked that the following week be changed to a Friday. Accordingly, James made sure everything was prepared and left the kitchen all to Jean. She also had Tara, a recent part time girl, there to wash up. Jenny had Gavin and Jilly to help her behind the bar and to wait.

When he got back, James checked that Jean was coping, left Tay upstairs and then wandered through to the bar. Jenny collected him with a rush and dragged him back into the kitchen.

"Richard rang."

"Oh?"

"He's engaged," squeaked Jenny excitedly jumping up and down.

James stared at her. "I don't believe it," he said incredulously.

"It's true. Her name's Deborah and I talked to her."

James's face lit up. "Wonderful!" he cried picking her up and whirling her round. "The old devil! Never a hint! I must ring him."

"Too late. They've gone to dinner at the pub."

"Then so are we. Do you reckon you can get away."

Jenny nodded excitedly. "Let me just go and tell Gavin and Jilly. We must be back by closing time though."

"Yes, darling. Of course."

He explained what had happened to Jean. She looked slightly wistful and James's heart went out to her.

They arrived at the Queen's Arms and spotted Richard and Deborah sitting at Richard's favourite table of old. Followed by a beaming Jenny, Richard crept up behind him. Deborah spotted him. He put his finger to his lips.

"Booh!" he said in Richard's ear and then, as Richard jumped up and turned, wrapped him in a bear hug. "Congratulations, Dad! Now, introduce me to my wicked stepmother to be."

They were both entranced by Deborah: tiny, stunningly beautiful with the most vivid blue eyes, amusing with an infectious laugh and quite clearly very much in love with Richard.

It had been a whirlwind romance and Richard told them how they'd met and also how Sharon, Richard's cleaning woman, had done some gypsy prophesying. James was not entirely happy and said he would like to come over and have a chat with Sharon when she came in for work the next Wednesday morning. Richard cheerfully agreed.

They had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner together and Jim joined them afterwards with a second bottle of wine. The Jays were astonished and overjoyed to find that Liz Harmsworth was Deborah's sister and then delighted to hear that they were coming to lunch tomorrow.

"She's a poppet," said Jenny as they drove home.

"Absolutely but I don't think Dad told us the full story."

"No nor do I. There's more to the Sharon bit."

"Yes. She always loved Mum and I can quite see her 'kicking his arse' if that's what Mum asked her to do but he can be a stubborn old cuss. I am going to dig a bit deeper on Wednesday. All this 'much loved friend' stuff."

"Do you think they went to bed together?"

"Maybe. I'll try to find out, not that I mind a bit. I'm just thrilled for Dad that he's found someone to love again and a real winner at that."

"Dead right."

James arrived at Richard's house the following Wednesday to find Sharon there on her own.

"He told me you were coming to give me the third degree," she said with a grin.

James smiled. "I just want to hear your side of the story. Dad told us quite a lot but Jenny and I think he missed some out."

Sharon nodded. She told him the whole story: her struggle to know how to fulfil her promise to Rachel and why she decided that Richard needed sex, her astonishment at his gentle yet dominating treatment of her, her falling in love with him and her realisation that he would never love her in the same way, her misery at discovering that he had fallen for Deborah and how she came to terms with it. James listened raptly and without interruption.

"Well," she went on. "He was quite clearly mad about Deborah and wanting to meet Annette and show her that not all men were like her bloody father but he was still dithering. I told him to stop frigging about and get on with it. Anyway, he went off to his study but then a bit later called me to join him for coffee." She chuckled. "He got all tied up for a bit but then he said how much he valued my friendship and love and that he had realised that he loved me too, not in love but as a friend, and that I would always be part of the family. Well then this feeling came over me and I told him that he and Deborah were soul-mates and that he would restore Annette to happiness and self-confidence and that I would watch over the three of them and keep them safe. Then a few days later Deborah came over and he told her all about us and what I'd said. She came upstairs to check me out and I gave him to her but asked that I could remain part of the family like he'd said and she promised me I would. She's lovely through and through, James, and I think he'll find, in the end, that he loves her more than he did your mum and that's really saying something."

James was overwhelmed. He stared at her for a full minute and her gaze never wavered. He walked round the table and pulled her to her feet, took her in his arms and hugged her.

"Thank you, dear Sharon," he whispered. "Thank you for doing what you did for Mum and thank you for your generosity and love for Dad. I'm very, very glad that you're part of the family."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.