The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 34

Richard's football squad thoroughly enjoyed themselves. They were cheerful and talkative but no trouble to anyone. Two of the boys who remembered Jenny from her time at the Queen's Arms talked to her enthusiastically about Richard. Not only had he started the football team but he had also helped another lad get a job as an apprentice mechanic which he had always wanted to do. One of the boys laughed.

"Told 'im to get 'is 'air cut, get rid of 'is piercings an' 'ave a bath, 'e did. An' Ryan did too."

Jenny laughed. This was more like the Richard of old. She could not wait to tell James.

Dick Williams dropped by the following week. "What have you been up to?" he asked James. "I was summoned to the chairman's office and thought I was in for a roasting but couldn't think what. Anyway, it wasn't a roasting after all. He wanted to hear all about our discussion with your friend, the Egg, so I told him and he told me well done. I think the Egg is going to be moved elsewhere. In addition the chairman wants to meet the two of you so don't be surprised if you get a phone call in the next few days."

"Golly. I just wrote to him saying how glad I was that we had reached an amicable agreement and to say how grateful I was to you for explaining the beer discount problem better than I could. Are you going to get a mega-bonus now?"

"Not a hope," laughed Dick, "but it may help when there's a new more senior slot available. Thanks, James."

James shrugged and smiled.

Sure enough the chairman's secretary rang the next day and booked the chairman and his wife in for dinner on Friday. Their names were Charles and Anne Bontoft. They turned out to be charming. They met a number of patrons from all walks of life who, without exception, sang the Jays' praises. The Bontofts were very complimentary about the attractiveness of the pub and even more so about the food.

"You are one of our best landlords," Charles Bontoft told James when he visited their table. "I'm glad you stood up to Everet because you two clearly have the potential to turn this into a very successful pub indeed. I would have hated your enthusiasm to have been dented."

"That's very kind of you, Mr Bontoft, but, if Dick Williams hadn't been there and run with the ball when I tossed it to him, I think Mr Gordon and I might have parted brass rags."

"Well that's not going to be a problem any more. Everet's moved across to head up our maintenance side so I doubt you'll have any more dealings with him."

James did not comment but Mr Bontoft was not chairman and chief executive for nothing. He caught the mixture of relief and satisfaction that flashed across James's face.

"I look forward to meeting his successor," was all he said.

"You have done. Dick Williams. The Board will be approving his appointment on Tuesday."

"Wonderful! Jenny will be thrilled. We both like him very much."

"We've been waiting for the opportunity for some time as we realised some time ago that he is a good egg."

James was unable to restrain himself and exploded with laughter. The Bontofts looked puzzled.

"The Good Egg and the Bad Egg," chuckled James. "We nicknamed Mr Gordon the Egg because of his initials."

The Bontofts laughed delightedly. Jenny had to come over to see what all the merriment was about. She laughed too but also expressed her delight at Dick's imminent promotion.

The Jays managed to get flights for the following Wednesday week. They had to go from Gatwick but Court volunteered to take and collect them. He also gave them detailed directions on how to find the supermercado, the good restaurants and tips about what to visit and where to eat around Finisterra. Jean told them about Louisa and Maria speaking French.

"Fat lot of good that'll do me," laughed James. "I've forgotten what little I learned at school."

"I'll give it a try," said Jenny. "We'll have to decide whether their English is worse than my French or vice versa."

They had a wonderful time. The weather was not bad at all. They only had one really wet day. The important thing was that they both relaxed and did the thing they most enjoyed: loving each other without distraction. In the last year their physical lovemaking had suffered from their tiredness and their tight routine. Now they had the time and the inclination to rediscover each other's bodies and they revelled in it. They also enjoyed the luxury of just being together, holding hands, spontaneously hugging and kissing each other, laughing at nothing. They were blissful and the week was over all too quickly, but the damage had been repaired and they both felt reinvigorated.

Dick Williams came to see them soon after they got back to introduce them to his replacement, Harry Bosworth, and to invite them to sign the three year lease agreement. He thanked both of them profusely for what they had done for him.

The international banking crisis had just happened and Dick was a bit gloomy about Venture's immediate future. "We do quite a lot more than just let pubs," he said, "and we've got a pretty large workforce all told. A substantial part of our pension funds are invested in Iceland. If that all goes pear-shaped we may have to get rid of some of our capital assets. At least you have that six month option in the lease agreement so if there is a crisis you won't be out on your ear nor would you need to stay on with any new owner."

The Jays looked at him soberly. "I can't bear the thought of losing this place," said Jenny on the verge of tears. "We've put so much into it and I've grown to love it, the village and the people here."

"Don't worry, Jenny dear," said Dick taking her hand. "That was the worst case scenario and you know what Charles Bontoft thinks of you both. Now! It's my turn to boost your beer sales."

October rolled into November. Trade fell away but was still way above what it had been the year before. The Jays were cheered.

One Saturday morning, late in the month, there was a loud hammering on the back door. Jenny opened it. Bill Purdey stood there puce in the face and fighting for breath. Jenny pulled him in.

"What's the matter, Bill."

"Alfred Turner's been taken bad. Need an ambulance. No phone," he gasped leaning against the work top.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.