The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 30

The next item on Libby's agenda was a dress for the concert. She wanted to find a long dress with short sleeves and without a plunging neckline. She was less definite on the colour but wanted something gentle. She and Jean browsed suitable shops in Pitsbury without success. They went to Southampton where they had more luck. Libby found just what she wanted in a soft smokey blue. It had to be altered but that only took a couple of days from the initial fitting.

Court wanted to see it but Libby would not let him.

"I want it to be a surprise," she said.

Court pleaded to no avail. He wanted to get her a brooch to go with it so resorted to subterfuge. Jean would not let him see the dress either but she did tell him what the colour was and she did suggest that brooches were not particularly fashionable. A necklace with a pendant might be a better idea. He did not have to journey to Southampton. There was an outstanding jeweller in Pitsbury. He bought her a gold filigree necklace with a large pearl set in tiny diamonds. That cost him £250, money well spent though, he considered.

Meanwhile, by the middle of September James was working himself up for the meeting with Venture in early October. He knew it was going to be tough. Mr Gordon was going to push him hard. He would have to hide his dislike for the man, as would Jenny.

"He's cold and ruthless," she had said, "and yet he was eyeing me up. Ugh!"

They had made a profit so they would have to give way on the discounts but if they paid the full amount on beer they would lose custom. He was prepared to accept an increase in rent but not a tenfold one that he knew Venture had exacted from other tenants in the past.

He and Jenny began to practise. He was amazed how hard and calculating she could be.

After one session he said, "You frighten me, darling."

"It hurts me to do this to you, my sweet, but if it helps to deal with that little tick it'll all have been worthwhile."

"Come here."

She did and they clung together in shared anxiety and love.

"I love this pub and I love our customers."

Jenny nodded against his chest.

"I ... Oh, I don't know but I think we owe it them to fight to stay here," he murmured.

"Darling, you're being a bore. This pub is a good'un. Venture must realise that even though I suspect that The Egg may have other ideas for his own bonus."

James chuckled. "I know exactly who you mean by The Egg. How did you get there?"

"Same as you probably, Everet Gordon. What a pretentious name! If it's genuine I just hoped, for his sake, that his parents hadn't christened him George."

James laughed delightedly. "My thoughts exactly," he said. "Do you know, they probably did call him George and he decided to call himself Everet. That could be an indication of how stupid he really is."

"Well then, don't worry. You're just going to be dealing with a jumped up twerp."

James looked at her in horror.

"Darling, come on, I can't be a snob."

Jenny laughed. "No, darling, but you can deal with him without being intimidated by his smart position."

James gazed at her. "You are one very special person," he said, "and I love you, my darling. You give me strength or courage or something or both."

Jenny smiled back. "You, in your quiet, undemonstrative way give me both of those, James darling, but, most of all, you give me your love."

He kissed the top of her head. "That, my darling, is something that you will never go without."

Throughout the second half of September they discussed forward projections, the implications of increased beer prices, the rent that they felt they could sensibly afford and yet still put aside some money for themselves. Even though they were nervous there was a lot of laughter and their confidence grew. Their trump card, of which they were well aware, was that they had turned the Crown round. It had become a focal point for the village once again. The council estate was no longer viewed by the farming community and middle class as unwelcome newcomers, even though the estate was some thirty-five years old. They were increasing trade from the Winterbournes and the Drill valley. People were coming out from Pitsbury now, seven miles away. The trouble was that their alcohol consumption was low. They were not prepared to risk being caught for drink driving. The people from the Winterbournes and Drill valley were prepared to take a chance. The country roads were infrequently policed and anyone seeing a police car in the neighbourhood said so loudly when they arrived at the Crown. Nevertheless, the Jays were a responsible pair and they, on a number of occasions, persuaded patrons to take a taxi home.

Jenny had a brainwave during their discussions. "You know Arthur, don't you?"

"Yes. He lives on the estate with five children and I think Betty's pregnant again."

"So?"

James thought but didn't make the connection. "Go on."

"He's got one of those 'people carriers' to transport his family around."

"Go on."

"He might be prepared to do an unofficial taxi service. Take people home to Pitsbury and then arrange to meet them the following morning at some central point to bring them back to collect their cars."

"Wow! That's a hell of an idea." He frowned. "The only trouble is we might run into trouble with the local taxi firms."

"Ye-es. But if we employed him..."

"Brilliant, darling! If we run into problems we can deal with them as they arise. I reckon we're only talking about Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights."

"Probably but he might be prepared to be on call other nights."

"Will you talk to him or do you want me to?"

"I'll do it. What I'll put to him is a flat rate for the cost of two return trips plus five quid a head per passenger."

"You'll have to take into account insurance and depreciation."

"Why? He's paying those already to drive his family about. We're just offering extra income."

"Agreed but there may be an extra insurance premium to pay if he's using the car for business purposes."

"I'll bet he is already."

"OK. Go for it, darling."

Arthur agreed like a shot. His insurance did cover business use. The Jays did not advertise in the Pitsbury Journal but they did have a small notice with a tariff on the bar. As they had expected the word spread. The biggest taxi firm in Pitsbury complained but Jenny explained that it was just a non-profit service that they, as a pub, were providing. She said that she and James would be delighted with competition. That silenced the argument.

Court took his courage in both hands. "Jean?" he asked hesitantly one morning as Libby was practising.

"Yes, dear?"

"You warned me about not rushing things with Libby."

"Yes."

"She's gone on the Pill."

"Ah!" she smiled. "Pinched the initiative. Should you respond? Is that it?"

Court nodded mutely.

"If you don't she'll be very badly hurt but, Court, please do one thing for both of us. I imagine you're not a virgin."

"Not quite."

"Please have a test to make sure you're not carrying anything you could transfer to her."

"I think it's very unlikely but of course."

"So do I but better safe than sorry."

Court did so the next day and was pronounced clean. Jean smiled and kissed his cheek fondly when he told her.

Libby was the next to approach her. She was remarkably diffident despite her earlier confidence. However she took the direct approach.

"Mum, I'm on the Pill."

"Oh!" Jean smiled inwardly. "Am I what's known as an Extra-Marriage Counsellor?" she wondered. "So?"

"I shall be safe by the time of the concert."

"Ye-es."

"I'd like my first time to be after it."

"Oh, you would, would you?"

Libby nodded.

"So would I please make myself scarce?"

Libby blushed.

"But where would I go?" Jean teased. "Court is my driver after all."

"Oh, Mum! You can stay with the Timermats."

"I see. You want me to do your dirty work."

Libby had the grace to look down. Jean smiled lovingly at her.

"Give me their number."

"Oh, Mum! Thank you."

On Friday 20th September Libby, Court and Jean went to have dinner at the Crown. It was packed. The Tarletons, Stevenses, Everleighs and Harmsworths were there. So were Drew and Ninette, Wendy and John, Fred, Roy and Annie, and a host of other people, mostly from the village. They all wished Libby every success at the concert and the more discerning also wished her luck at the Royal Academy. Libby became rather emotional but Court squeezed her hand and told her to get a grip of herself. She glared at him but both he and Jean laughed at her and she took the rest of the evening in her stride.

The following day they packed Court's car with Libby's belongings plus a week's food and drove up to London. They unloaded everything and put it away managing to present themselves for tea upstairs on time.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.