The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 29

When she had finished her supper and cleared everything away Libby looked through the Ravel. She was daunted to say the least. Ondine looked difficult but Scarbo looked terrifyingly difficult. She put it aside for tomorrow.

In the morning she tried Ondine. Not only were there fast repetitions of chords, some rapid chromatic runs but also some left hand over right where her fingers were almost intertwined. She also found the harmonies alien to start with which kept her stopping to check she was playing the right notes. As time went on she became used to them and actually to rather like them. An hour and a half was enough though and after coffee she reverted to Chopin.

Shortly after lunch her telephone rang. It was Kristian.

"I am free when you are," he said. "Come upstairs when you are ready."

"Give me five minutes."

She took the Chopin and the Ravel with her and they ran through the remaining nocturnes. They then tackled the waltzes and these lasted them until Gudrun brought in tea.

"Have you had a look at the Ravel?" asked Kristian.

"Yes," said Libby with a rueful smile. "Are you out to test my resolve or put me off modern composers for ever?"

Kristian grinned unrepentantly. "Neither," he said. "It was the only modern thing apart from a concerto or two that I could find. All the same we shall no doubt find the answers to both your questions."

"I've only tried Ondine so far and that's pretty tricky. Scarbo looks horrific."

"It is. Don't feel you've got to conquer it. Many very, very good and well known pianists have not even attempted it. It is a virtuoso examination. I have played it only once and never again. It was nerve-wracking."

The recording session on Tuesday went well after an initial attack of nerves. Libby felt very alone and vulnerable despite Andrew Cartwright sticking with her as much as he could but the recording director would not allow anyone in the studio while Libby was actually playing. As usual though, the music got to her and she was soon playing beautifully. They wrapped up twelve of the nineteen nocturnes. The director was delighted and reckoned they could finish the other seven off by lunchtime the next day. They did so. Andrew, thrilled at saving money on studio rental time, offered her lunch at a charming restaurant at Earl's Court.

"I think we can wait until you are settled in at the Academy before we do the waltzes," he said. "I'd like to see how the nocturnes sell anyway. What about the preludes?"

"I've only looked at about half a dozen but why not? I think though, Andrew, that we ought to restrict recordings to Academy holidays. I think I shall be pretty busy and I don't want to miss out there or upset anybody: 'Little Miss Smartypants' and so on."

Andrew nodded understandingly. "That's very sensible. I just hope that your fame after Llangollen and this first recording, not to mention your being a protégée of Kristian's, don't cause malicious gossip."

"So do I," said Libby with feeling.

She got back to her flat at three and reported to the Timermats who were delighted that things had gone so well.

"The Barbican concert starts at seven-thirty," said Kristian. "The piano is available to us from five. So, I suggest you get here about four and we will have a cup of tea and then go over there."

Libby nodded. "What about tickets for my mother and Court?" she asked.

"Leave them to me. They shall sit with Gudrun and afterwards we will all go out to dinner together. Will Court be driving you both up?"

"I expect so."

"Good!" exclaimed Gudrun. "They can come to tea also and we will travel to the Barbican together."

"Thank you both so much. I must go. Court will be arriving to pick me up at any minute. See you on the twenty-first."

She kissed them both on the cheek and ran downstairs. Court arrived five minutes later. She opened the door and fell into his arms.

Court held her tightly as he kissed the top of her head. He had not realised just how much he had missed her. A lump formed in his throat. She looked up at him, her eyes shining with tears of happiness. He released her slightly so that he could get at her lips. Her hand went to the back of his head pulling him to her and her mouth opened.

"Oh, darling!" they both finally gasped and then re-engaged. Libby moulded her body to his. His hands ran up and down her back and into her hair. Finally they parted only to gaze into each other's eyes.

"What am I going to do when you start at the Academy?" whispered Court.

"Come and see me often."

"I'd love to but I'm not sure I'd be able to resist temptation."

Libby blushed. "The Pill will be effective by then," she murmured.

"I didn't know."

"No, my darling. I meant to keep it as a surprise."

"It is a surprise and a very touching one." He kissed the tip of her nose. "Thank you, Libby, my precious." He kissed her lips gently.

They clung together for another few minutes and then Court released her.

"We ought to get going before the rush hour," he said.

"I'm all packed and ready to go."

The start of the drive was silent, each wrapped in thought. Court was deeply touched that she had decided to go on the Pill for him but there was still an uncomfortable feeling that he might be rushing her even though it was she who had taken the initiative. He wondered whether he could discuss this with Jean. It might be a bit close to the bone.

Libby, on the other hand, was ecstatic. Court's reaction had been so sweet and loving. She would actually be safe the night of the concert. She wondered whether she could engineer it with her mother and Gudrun that her mother should spend the night with the Timermats while Court came to her bed. Talking about it to her mother would not be problem but Gudrun might think badly of her. On the other hand, Gudrun had blithely told her about the sofa-bed and who was to know that Court had slipped out of that into hers? She would prefer to be a bit more straightforward about things. She might get her mother to have a word with Gudrun. She reached out with her right hand and rested it on Court's thigh. A shudder ran through his body. Libby tensed but did not withdraw her hand.

"What?" she asked bluntly.

"Nothing ... I mean ... Oh, Libby, I'm in a state and when you do something like that, so loving and gentle, I ... I just ... I don't know ... I'm just overwhelmed."

Libby squeezed his thigh briefly. "Relax, darling. It's nothing more than that. Just a little gentle love. I'm not asking you to pull over and ravish me or anything. I just wanted to show you that I love you."

Court gulped. This was wonderful but getting a bit too intense. He really did need to talk to someone. He covered her hand with his for a moment but the road was too busy for him to linger.

"Thank you, Libby my sweet. I'm sorry. It's just that..." He paused trying to regain control of his rationality. "I've never really loved anyone before. I love my mother but that's a distant thing, something that's hardly a reality. The words are there but we seldom see each other so we never show it. Then you know how I am with young and beautiful women. I love you, Libby darling, but it terrifies me."

Libby gave his thigh another gentle squeeze.

"Don't worry," she said. "I've had enormous love from my parents and I miss Daddy desperately but I've never had a feeling like this before and I'm a bit frightened too because it's a different sort of love but I do love you, Court, and I trust you so I'm prepared to let myself go a bit. Trust me, Court. Even if all this comes to nothing, I will never, ever do anything to hurt you."

"I know you won't. I know you won't. It's just whether I'm worthy of you. What if I turned out to be like my father and decided to exchange you for a newer model?"

"If you do it would be my fault. Court, darling, you are too aware of your father's behaviour to behave the same way. Anyway, I'm not asking you to commit yourself. I'm only a year out of school for Heaven's sake. If it doesn't last OK. If it does though ... Oh, Court darling, I do so hope it does."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.