The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 27

Court insisted that he would drive Libby up to London on Friday. That way Jean would be able to come as well, see the flat and meet the Timermats. The recording sessions had been arranged for Tuesday, Wednesday and, if needed Thursday. Libby took little with her in the way of clothes but she did take a week's worth of food.

Jean was entranced by the flat, particularly the dressing table in Libby's bedroom. "Exquisite," she enthused. "I wonder who made it. Ooh, I covet it." Court was also impressed and said so. Libby basked in their happiness for her.

"Have you tried the piano?" Court asked.

Libby shook her head.

"Go on then." He opened it for her.

"Chappel," she mused as she sat on the stool. "I've heard of them but never come across one. She played a few chords and arpeggios. "I like it," she pronounced. "It's got a lot of depth and the bass is wonderful, rich and sonorous. Yum! I'm going to enjoy this piano."

"Well, play something. Don't just mess about," ordered Court.

Libby glared at him and Jean stifled her giggles. Libby did as she was told though and, after a moment's thought, launched into 'Claire de Lune'.

As she finished there was a knock on the door from the main house and Gudrun came in with a warm smile on her face.

"I didn't hear you come in but I knew that when you did arrive it would not be long before I heard the piano. Welcome, Libby dear."

She swept over and kissed her.

"And Courtney. I am so pleased to see you again." She took his hand and pecked his cheek. "And you," she said beaming, "must be Libby's mother." She took both of Jean's hands and squeezed them gently. "I'm so pleased to meet you."

"And me you," Jean smiled back. "I'm overwhelmed by what you are doing for Libby."

Gudrun looked her solemnly in the eye. "Your daughter is a very, very talented musician and we are delighted to help her in any way we can. In addition, she is a sweet girl and we like her very much indeed." She shrugged. "We can do this for her so we do, very happily."

Jean saw nothing but transparent honesty and was touched. "Thank you," she said softly.

"Kristian should be home in about half an hour," said Gudrun. "We would be very pleased if you would come upstairs and have lunch with us."

"Oh goodness," giggled Libby. "I'm going to have leftovers already. We'd love to, Gudrun. Thank you."

"Good. Come up when you're ready." She left.

"I like her," said Jean.

Libby and Court nodded.

They continued with unpacking and putting thing away which did not take long. Court sat down and started to play 'Chopsticks'. Libby joined him and played the bass. She played it faster and faster until Court lost it, crashed his hands on the keyboard and wailed, "OK, OK. I give in."

Libby put her arms round his neck and kissed his cheek.

"There. There," she said. "Mummy kiss better."

"Foul girl," said Court. "I can't think why I love you."

"'Cos I'm irresistible," sang Libby dancing away from him.

Court snorted and then laughed. "Don't get too full of yourself, young lady."

Libby folded her hands in front of her and looked down. "No, Court. I'm sorry, Court. Please forgive me, Court."

Jean pealed with laughter and Court went over to her.

"Protect me. Ple-ease?"

"Oh no! You've got yourself into this situation. You get yourself out of it."

"Come here," Court ordered Libby.

She walked over to him, hands still clasped in front of her and her head lowered.

"Look at me," he ordered.

She looked up through her lashes, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"You are a very disrespectful young woman," said Court sternly.

"Yes, sir." She curtseyed. Court bit his lip.

It was no good. He could not contain himself and burst out laughing. Libby leapt into his arms and twined her legs round him. "I love you, Court," she whispered. "I always will." She kissed him. "But that'll never stop me teasing you."

Court kissed her back. "Never stop doing either," he whispered.

Libby stared back at him, totally serious now. "No, Court darling. Never."

In due course they went upstairs and Libby led them to the kitchen. Kristian was indeed home. He kissed Libby on the cheek, shook Court's hand and warmly welcomed Jean.

"I hope you're very proud of your daughter," he said to her quietly. "I believe she is going to go a very long way. Does she get her musicality from you or her father?"

Jean chuckled. "Not from her father, that's for sure. Tone deaf. My family used to make him sing the National Anthem and then fall about with laughter. I play the piano reasonably well, nothing like Libby of course, and I used to sing a bit. As a girl I often used to accompany my mother who had a sweet soprano and did quite a number of concerts. Unfortunately, she contracted some throat disease which all but destroyed her voice. She took it very stoically but it nearly broke my father's heart. Sometimes, when she thought no one was about, she'd sit down at the piano and sing on her own. It was still a sweet voice but a shadow of what it had been. My father used to sit at the foot of the stairs crying like a child."

"What a tragedy! Are they still alive?"

"Yes."

"Did they watch the eisteddfod?"

"I doubt it because I haven't heard from them. I was hoping to get a recording for them."

"I have three: one for me, one for Libby because no one knew how to contact her and a spare. You shall have the spare. We can always get more."

"Thank you, Kristian."

"My pleasure. Moment." He left her abruptly but was soon back with two disks. "There you are, Jean my dear, one for you and one for your parents"

"Thank you so much."

Lunch was fun. The Timermats made all their guests feel at home. Libby already felt that but Jean and Court were deeply touched. Libby was their protégée and yet they felt included.

Jean mentioned it to Gudrun afterwards. Gudrun smiled.

"We love your daughter, Jean. It's more than just her talent. She is a very special girl. So, we love anyone who is dear to her and who dearer than her mother?"

Jean chuckled. "I know some mothers and daughters who would willingly slit each other's throats."

Gudrun laughed. "Not you two. And then Courtney. He loves her deeply. He is not very demonstrative. It must be his British reserve. And she is completely in love with him and can't keep her hands off him."

Jean laughed this time. "You are very observant, Gudrun, but it's a pretty recent thing."

"Maybe. Even at Llangollen it was apparent. Courtney was holding back and little Libby didn't know what was happening, bless her, but she was falling or had already largely fallen for him. We watched with amusement and interest." She suddenly turned completely serious. "He was her rock at the audition and at the performance. Kristian told me."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.