The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 26

Marty's case hit the local press. Kylie, of course, was the centre of attention. Her shyness and reticence disarmed the media but also frustrated them. Her parents, apart from saying they were proud of her, refused to say anything more. Wayne, as the hoped for love angle, refused to say anything. Garry went into 'no comment' mode and Kathy restrained herself and merely told them to get lost. The rest of the village refused to speak about it.

On the other hand, the entire village, from the Everleighs to the poorest on the council estate, was very well aware of what Kathy & Co. had done and were extremely grateful. Marty had been a thorn in everyone's flesh. He may not have affected them directly but every parent had been concerned about their children being out and every house and car owner had been worried about damage.

It was Jenny this time, rather than Roy, who dreamt up a collection for them. She and James worked people in the pub. Roy and Libby worked the old village. Gavin sparked off two of his friends to work the council estate. It was Wendy though who came up with the big idea.

"Those kids have lost the media," she said to James, "because they're so shy and unassuming and won't let anything of their private lives slip."

"Go on," said James, knowing that Wendy had more to say.

"Use your website," she said.

"What?"

"Tell the story. Abbreviated but stress that they got rid of a local menace."

"Yes?"

"Other local villages have similar problems."

"So?"

"It might inspire them to donate to our guys to get their kids to do the same."

James gazed at her. "You might have got something there, Wendy, but it needs to be more than just a holiday or a day out or new clothes or whatever. Gavin, what do Kathy & Co. do for a living?"

"Kathy's doing an apprenticeship with a hairdresser. Kylie's a checkout girl and Wayne stacks shelves at the same supermarket. Garry's a motor mechanic apprentice at a garage."

"Did they do well at school?"

"I don't know but I don't think they messed about."

James pondered for a few minutes. Wendy stayed silent.

"How much do you think we might get for them on the website?" he asked.

"Probably not much but, if we got the Journal in on it, it might spread to the national press and then there's no telling."

"But the Journal's already lost interest."

"They'd get all excited again if they knew we were fund-raising. Carry over to the national press."

"I don't want to infringe on their privacy."

"You won't. They'll shrug them off in the same way and the Journal will warn the nationals that they're private people."

James was certainly excited by this but he was very conscious of the feelings of Kathy & Co.

"OK," he said, "work something up. I'll have a word with Rod Harmsworth about setting up a fund for them. Don't go public though until I say so."

"No, boss," said Wendy with a smile.

James rang Rod that evening and gave him an outline of what he had in mind. Rod said he would think about it and pop in before opening time on Saturday to discuss it further.

On Friday both Kathy's and Kylie's parents came in together for a meal. James pulled up a chair to their table.

"I need your advice," he said, "and I can't talk to the girls about it. As you know, we had a whip round for them after they did for Marty and that's brought in just short of a grand. Wendy suggested that we put the story on our website so that people with a similar problem in other villages might contribute in the hope of encouraging something similar in their village. Now, it all might come to nothing. On the other hand, it might bring in quite a lot of money. If it does I thought we might set up a trust fund or something similar for their further education. All four of them are bright and I'm sure Kylie, for one, could do a lot better for herself than working as a check-out girl." Her parents nodded.

"The trouble is, if the money starts to roll in the Pitsbury Journal will pick up on it and possibly even the national press. That would probably bring in even more money. The downside is the publicity. They all fought off the Journal but the national press might be a bit more tenacious. On the other hand they didn't hang about for long with Libby Morris. What do you think?"

There was a long silence. The parents all looked at each other but nobody was prepared to make a decision.

"Sorry," said James, "I bowled you all a pretty fast ball. Why not sleep on it, have a chat with the boys' parents if you want because I haven't been able to talk to them and let me know. There's no rush."

They looked at him gratefully. He stood up and collected their plates. "Would you like the pudding menu?"

The women nodded. James tipped off Libby as he went past back to the kitchen.

Rod came in the following morning as promised. He told James that setting up the fund would not be difficult but suggested that until such time as it became large, and he quoted £2,000 as a possible figure, James should merely open an interest earning deposit account. After that, it could become a trust fund and be invested to increase its growth. There would be a need for trustees. He suggested James and Jenny plus someone else who should be disinterested but have a sound knowledge of financial affairs. He ruled himself out as not being disinterested but said he could think of two or three people who would fit the bill.

James thanked him and told him of his conversation the previous evening with the girls' parents.

"It's a devil, isn't it?" said Rod. "One wants to shield them from the publicity but on the other hand one wants to see them properly rewarded for what they did. That little Kylie is a jolly brave girl."

"Yes, and Kathy is a born leader who should be capable, if nothing else, of running her own hairdressing business or even a chain."

"James, I hate to be a killjoy, but do you really think you'll raise two grand?"

"I don't know."

"A year at college for four of them is going to cost a lot more than that. Fees for higher education are about three grand a year so you're going to have to raise some twelve thousand quid."

"Strewth! I never realised it was that expensive. What about grants to people on low income?"

"I don't know but I doubt it would meet half the cost."

"Damn! Well, that's one bright idea that's gone for a ball of chalk." James smiled ruefully.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.