The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 21

The aircraft turned onto the runway and, with a muted roar, surged forward. Libby gripped the arms of her seat. It lifted off the runway and everything became smoother but there was no lessening of the noise. There was a clunk and the plane shook slightly.

"Retracting the wheels," smiled Jean.

Libby let out the breath she had been holding but she did not relax her grip on the armrests. Not long after there was a reduction in engine noise and the plane levelled out. The seat belt lights went out and Libby slowly relaxed.

They both undid their seatbelts. Libby stood up.

"Oof!" she said. "Actually that wasn't that bad but I'm glad it's over."

She walked over to a window and peered out.

"I can't see a thing," she complained. "It's all cloud."

Daphne came back through at that moment. "I know," she said. "Once we get away from dear old England the skies will clear. We'll be going over the west of France and the Pyrenees, then the Bay of Biscay and then the coastline of Portugal. There's an East wind at Faro so we'll be coming in off the Atlantic. Anyway, it's going to be lunchtime soon. Because it's just the two of you there's no choice unless you just want a snack."

"What's lunch?" asked Jean.

"Smoked salmon with brown bread and a garnish of salad, followed by cold ham and salad with new potatoes. We didn't think you'd want a big hot main course."

"Quite right," said Jean.

"Spoilsport!" said Libby with a huge smile. "That sounds lovely."

"How about a drink?" asked Daphne.

Jean paused for a moment and then her eyes lit up.

"I'm on holiday," she said, "so a large gin and tonic and blow the rest of them."

Libby giggled. "I'm not as grown up as Mum. A bitter lemon, please."

They enjoyed their lunch and drinks and Libby was able to see the Pyrenees which pleased her. Too soon almost the plane began its descent and bumped about a bit. Once again Libby clung to her armrests, this time in backward-facing seats.

There was another clunk. "Landing wheels?" asked Libby.

"Yes, dear."

There was a very slight bump on landing and then they were taxiing to the private plane reception.

Daphne said au revoir and wished them a happy holiday. They were through baggage, immigration and customs in less than ten minutes. A car was waiting for them and they drove away.

"How the other half lives," said Jean softly. "I could do this more often."

Libby smiled gently at her. "You deserve it, Mum darling."

The villa was an hour's drive to the west of Faro and was in an estate of them. As they drove up to it they could not really see what it was like as it was surrounded by a high wall.

"Golly," said Libby. "It looks like a fortress. Well, at least the press won't be able to get in there."

"I hope we don't feel imprisoned," replied Jean with a chuckle.

The driver sounded his horn and a door in the wall opened and a maid came out. She was plump and tiny but with a warm and welcoming smile.

"'Allo," she said. "I am Luisa. Please come in."

She led them into the villa which was refreshingly cool. There was another maid standing there. She too was tiny but with a pretty figure. She also had a warm smiling face.

"This my daughter, Maria," said Luisa. "We come every day but not Sunday. Nine o'clock to three o'clock. We make beds and cleaning. Cook if you like. Come."

She led them to a glass fronted cupboard at the start of a passage leading of the hall to the left. She opened the cupboard.

"Alarm," she said. "You go out you press red button and 135789. You come back you press green button and 135789. OK?"

"I'll never remember the numbers," said Libby.

Luisa giggled and led them to the telephone where the number was printed on the dial.

"Last six numbers, si?"

The Morrises clapped their hands and Luisa laughed.

"Come," she ordered and led the way through a huge sitting room with a dining alcove raised two steps above it. There was a grand piano in the opposite corner. She led them through a door and showed them two bedrooms which opened out onto the veranda.

"You sleep here," she said. "Mr Courtney sleep there," pointing back to the passage past the alarm cupboard.

The driver dumped their bags in the appropriate rooms and left without even looking as though he was expecting payment or a tip. Luisa led them into the kitchen and showed them round.

"For dinner," she said taking a stew out of the fridge. She then opened the larder door and showed them fresh vegetables.

"Garden," she said pointing through the window where there was a full kitchen garden.

"Come," she said again and led them to a large dark wood chest. She lifted the lid. It was full of towels. "For swim. Not bedroom towels."

The Morrises acknowledged the rule.

Luisa led them out onto the patio. There was an enormous swimming pool with a diving board. She guided them down the steps to where there was a barbecue and two doors. She opened the first door showing them a small room crammed with cushions for the chairs and recliners that were scattered around the pool. There were also lilos and children's pool toys. She locked the door again taking the key with her and opened the other. That had bags of charcoal and barbecue equipment. She relocked that door and removed the key. She led them back to the kitchen and hung the keys in a small room off it.

"OK?" she asked.

They both nodded and thanked her.

"Oh!" she exclaimed and led them back to the telephone. She pulled a book out of the drawer and showed them the numbers of the plumber, electrician and security people. "Speak English," she added.

They thanked her again.

"We go now." Maria materialised beside her and they let themselves out.

"I'm going to have a swim," Libby announced.

"Good idea!"

They both went to their rooms and found that Maria had unpacked their bags and put everything away

"Wow!" thought Libby. "How the other half lives indeed!"

She collected a towel and then went over to the other side of the big room to inspect the piano. It was indeed a Bechstein. She played a scale. She liked the feel and the sound.

Jean was gingerly going down the steps into the pool. "Ooh! It's cold," she said.

"That's because you're going in so slowly, Mum."

Libby tossed her towel onto a recliner, ran and jumped into the pool soaking Jean who shrieked in protest.

"You foul child," she cried. "You wait."

She launched herself after Libby chasing her until they were both gasping for breath.

"I'm going to see what's over the wall," said Libby. She climbed up the ladder to the top diving board. "Quite a lot more villas and then the sea," she called down. "It's about half a mile away. Golly, Mum, it's so dry."

"Hardly surprising. We're not that far north of the Sahara."

"I suppose so. Ooh, there's a pack of dogs. I wonder if it's safe to walk out there."

"We'll have to ask Luisa or wait for Court."

"Stand back, Mum. I'm coming back in."

"Wait, you beastly girl!" Jean swam frantically away but it was no good and Libby landed within two feet of her. That was a mistake. When she surfaced Jean was waiting for her and ducked her then, swimming as fast as she could, fled for dry land. Libby failed to catch her.

Jean dried herself off and went to collect the key for the store room. She brought out cushions for the recliners. They lay side by side.

"I can hardly believe this," said Jean softly.

"It is pretty incredible, isn't it?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.