The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 19

The plan was put into action. The gang promised not to reveal anything private that might affect Libby. Jenny took on board the same for the village.

Kristian Timermat approved of the plan and arranged for his agent to be present so that he could organise a press conference. Court's father agreed to everything on one condition: that he meet Libby. Court agreed but insisted that his stepmother should not be present. She was too glamorous and flamboyant for the Morrises. His father agreed. His plane would be ready at Bournemouth at eleven o'clock on Monday morning. He would arrange for a car to pick them up from home at nine-thirty and another to meet them at Faro Airport. He would also warn the staff at the villa. Libby packed and Court and Emily took her things and left the minibus in a corner of the car park of the hotel at which the Timermats were staying.

At six-thirty Libby and Court presented themselves at the stage door of the concert hall and asked to see Maestro Timermat. The doorman had been warned and they were directed to Timermat's dressing room. He welcomed them warmly, offered Court a drink, which he declined, and ordered Libby to be lightly made up. She had her shoulder-length hair free and Timermat suggested a couple of Kirby grips on each side so that it would not fall over her face while she was playing.

At five to seven they made their way to the wings. Libby was ashen and shaking. Court held her hand but could think of nothing to say to comfort and reassure her.

The compère introduced himself and then went on stage to start the ball rolling.

Timermat turned to Libby and took her spare hand in his.

"You are frightened," he said softly.

Libby nodded.

"And me. Always I am frightened before a performance. It is stage fright and it affects every performer but it makes the adrenalin run and lifts you to perform better. Do not worry, my dear, I know you will be brilliant and that the audience will appreciate the beauty of your playing. I shall be there in silent support and you will have your young man here in the wings willing you with all his love, to succeed."

He gripped her shoulders. "You are brilliant, Libby, and tonight you will be more than brilliant."

He bent down and gently kissed her forehead. "Show them, my child."

He turned as if on cue and went on stage. The applause was rapturous.

Libby turned to Court. "He makes it sound so easy," she murmured.

"Once you start it will be. You're good, Libby. Very, very good. Otherwise you wouldn't be here. That man has faith in you and you must reward it. You will play better than you ever have before. I know you will."

Libby still looked doubtful.

"The whole of the gang will be rooting for you and I will be sending all the comfort and strength I know how."

Libby looked into his eyes and saw the warmth and sincerity. She also saw something else but she was not sure what.

By now Timermat was playing and she turned back to the stage. Court moved up behind her and gently hugged her, willing her to calm down. The music was having its effect too. Technically perfect, Timermat was pulling every last bit of emotion and melody out of the Chopin sonata without making it cloying or mawkish. She revelled in the beauty of the music and his performance.

The sonata ended and Timermat rose from the piano stool and bowed. He stepped forward.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, yesterday I came here for a few minutes to get the feel of this beautiful piano and found a young lady playing the 'Moonlight Sonata' quite exquisitely. Then I asked her whether she did the same with the 'Pathètique' and she played it for me. I believe, Ladies and Gentlemen, you should be allowed to share with me the beauty of her playing. I am delighted to introduce Miss Libby Morris."

Court gave her a gentle push and Libby walked on. There was a moment's silence as the audience took in the small, shy, raven-haired, pretty girl in a dress that had definitely seen better days. Then there was warm and welcoming applause.

Timermat led her to the piano and formally bowed to her. "Show them," he whispered and kissed her hand. He moved round behind the piano so that she could see him.

She sat down and adjusted the stool. She reached out and stroked the keyboard.

"Sing for me," she whispered to the piano.

She took a deep breath, exhaled and started to play. The first triplet was just as she wanted it and, exhilarated, she played as she had never done before. The first movement retained the slowness and gentle variations that had captured Timermat's attention. The second movement was light and lilting. The third movement, presto agitato, was technically flawless and full of the light and shade that Beethoven had intended. She finished with the two loud chords. Her hands dropped in her lap and her head fell forward as the pent up emotion of the music flowed out of her.

There was utter silence. She looked up at Timermat to see tears trickling down his face as he gave her a smile. At that moment the audience erupted: not just applause but cheering as well. Still she sat there not knowing quite what to do.

Timermat came round, took her hand and led her to the front of the stage.

"Bow," he whispered.

She curtseyed and the audience went wilder.

"Again," he whispered.

This time she did bow and came up with a smile that stretched from ear to ear.

"Once more."

She curtseyed again still smiling at the audience.

Timermat led her off stage. Court was standing there with a proud smile on his face. She ran to him and flung her arms round his neck. He hugged her back.

"Well done! Well done!" he said into her hair. "You were brilliant, Libby love. Out of this world. You should be so proud of yourself."

"She should indeed," said Timermat. "That was even better than yesterday and this morning. But come, my dear. You must now go and play your encore."

Libby went back on stage unaware that she was unaccompanied. The applause had not slackened and as she walked on increased to almost a frenzy. She smiled, curtseyed and resumed her seat. The applause died down and there was utter silence. She played 'All Through The Night'.

Again the audience applauded and cheered but this time they rose to their feet as well. Libby bowed and curtseyed again but still the applause went on.

Timermat was just about to go and rescue her when she held up her hand. The audience fell silent.

"Thank you all very much indeed," she said, "but it's time I gave you back to Maestro Timermat who you all came to hear and to whom I shall always be grateful for the happiness he has given me tonight."

She curtseyed again and ran lightly from the stage. This time it was Timermat she attacked.

"Thank you, Maestro," she said. "Thank you so much for giving me such a wonderful opportunity." She kissed him full on the lips.

Timermat prised her off him. "It was my pleasure, Libby. We will talk later but now I must go and play."

Meanwhile, back at Atheldiston, there had been almost frenetic activity. Jenny had tasked Gavin and Kathy with spreading the word on the estate that Libby would be on television and that the pub was hiring a wide screen and offering curry at £5.50 from six o'clock. She herself rang the Everleighs, Tarletons, Stevenses and Harmsworths and asked them to network. She told the Friday nighters when they came in and Fred at Saturday lunchtime. James rushed out and bought provisions for the curry and hired the wide screen television.

By half past six on Saturday evening the pub was packed. Jean had been told that Court's group were on and was placidly working away in the kitchen when James told her to drop everything and come and watch too. She obeyed reluctantly. She had a huge pile of washing-up. He practically dragged to the front where she would not miss a thing. Jenny closed in on her other side.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.