The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 18

Libby's mobile rang at half past eight the next morning. It was Kristian Timermat.

"Good morning, Libby. I spoke to the authorities last night. They did not wish you to play. They said that the people had bought tickets to hear me play, not some unknown girl. I told them that if the unknown girl did not play I would not play either. So now they wish you to have an audition from half past ten until eleven o'clock in the main concert hall. Please be there, Libby."

"Yes, Maestro. May I bring Court?"

"Of course. I will see you there. Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Maestro."

Libby found Court who was secretly thrilled and flattered that she wanted him to be there.

"We must find some music for you so that I can turn the pages. Perhaps your maestro has something we could borrow."

Libby timorously rang him and asked.

"Of course, Libby. I have a book with all the Beethoven sonatas. I will bring it."

They gathered at the concert hall at twenty-five past ten. Libby was shaking with nerves. Another group was just packing up. Court took her hand and led her to the piano.

"Play a bit from the Weber and get it out of your system," he ordered.

He stood behind her with his hands resting gently on her shoulders and willed her to be brave. She started uncertainly but as she got into the music and was once more exhilarated by the piano she began to play with her usual flair. Court moved back from her.

Timermat materialised at Court's side with a finger to his lips. Libby was unaware of his presence and was now in full flow. Timermat smiled at Court and patted him on the shoulder. Just as quietly he moved away and joined the 'authorities' who had begun to arrive and were listening in awed silence.

Libby came to the end of a section. Court moved forward and squeezed her shoulder.

"Well done, Libby," he whispered. "The tigers are here. Let's go and beard them."

Libby rose slowly and smiled up at him.

"Thanks, Court," she said. "I'm ready now but I still need you to turn the pages."

Court nodded. They walked over to the group. Timermat took her hand.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce Libby Morris who will play for you."

The group acknowledged her but there was no welcome in it. Despite hearing a snatch of the Weber they were not going to give in without at least a show of reluctance.

Their leader introduced himself and said, "Miss Morris, Maestro Timermat wishes you to play the 'Moonlight Sonata' this evening. Before we can allow it we must be sure that you are good enough." Court squeezed her hand encouragingly. "Would you please play it for us now?"

Libby smiled, her confidence restored. "I would be happy to," she said.

Timermat handed Court the music and the two of them went to the piano. They stood there until they were given the go ahead.

Needless to say, Libby played beautifully and flawlessly. Even though she never looked at the music, Court turned the pages for her, even going back a page twice on the repeated sections. When she finished there must have been ten seconds of silence followed by spontaneous applause from the 'authorities'.

"Miss Morris, we should never have doubted Maestro Timermat's word. That was outstanding and we warmly welcome you to the concert this evening."

Libby smiled shyly and looked down at her feet. "Thank you," she murmured and then, as Court moved to her side, took her hand and squeezed it, she added with a radiant smile, "I shall be honoured and delighted."

Timermat joined them. "Well done, Libby," he smiled. "I knew you would win them over. Now, I will see you here behind the scenes at six-thirty. When my time comes I shall go on and play a Chopin sonata. Then I shall make an announcement about you and call you on. You will then play. I shall remain on stage with you. I would prefer Courtney to support you from the wings. Would you be happy with that?"

Libby bit her lip and looked enquiringly at Court.

"You'll be all right, Libby. You've cracked the worst already and I won't be far away.

"OK."

"I hope that after the concert you will both join my wife and me for dinner."

"That's very kind of you," Libby said softly glancing at Court who nodded almost imperceptibly. "We'd love to. Thank you."

"Good! Now there is one more thing. Tonight you will become an immediate star. You will be pursued by the papers and television. Record companies will try to sign you up. I think you should let my agent handle it all for you."

"Oh Lord!"

"The hysteria will only last for a few days but, if you value your privacy, you will ask all your friends not to reveal where you live or the media will camp on your doorstep."

"This is awful."

"You could go away for two weeks while the fuss dies down."

"Where would we go at this short notice?" she wailed. "Anyway I haven't any money."

"You soon will and in the meanwhile I shall lend you what you need."

Court butted in. "My father's got a villa in Portugal. You and Jean could go there. In fact, if he doesn't need it he'd probably let you use his plane to get there."

Libby stared at him in amazement. "I never knew your family were rich," she whispered and then realisation dawned. "Your father's Ewan Williams; the impresario, composer and playwright."

Court nodded.

"Sheesh!"

"I need to ring the pub," Court went on, "because I warned the Jays off and the television will be on tonight so the whole village will know and they need swearing to silence."

Libby nodded. "Oh!" she gasped. "I must warn Mum."

"No, Libby dear. They're going to drag her out of the kitchen at the crucial moment and give her the greatest surprise of her life."

Libby giggled. "More like a heart attack," she said. "We also need to warn the gang."

"I'll see to that."

Timermat left them at that stage but then suddenly turned back.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.