The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 16

Libby turned up at the village hall a few minutes before three. She was warmly welcomed by Court and Eve.

"I'm so glad you changed your mind," said Court.

Libby smiled shyly. "You ought to have asked Eve to ask me in the first place," she said.

Court nodded. "It would have saved me a sleepless night. How are we going to play this?"

"I'd like the cast to know what's happening if that's all right," said Libby.

"I'll tell them," volunteered Eve. "What we've tentatively agreed is that we start at the beginning and then, after the first song I'll ask Libby what she thinks and she can take over."

Court looked relieved. "OK, I'm more than happy with that."

"Right! Everyone on stage, please," he called. When everyone was assembled he went on, "Eve has something to say."

"As you know," said Eve, "I haven't been happy with our singing and, apart from being rude to you, I haven't known what to do about it so, almost in desperation and with Court's agreement, I asked Libby to take over as musical director. Please help her to help you. How many of you know that she has a scholarship to the Royal Academy Of Music in September?"

There were murmurs of surprise and then Mike Barnes said, "Welcome aboard, Libby. Any help you can give me will be very, very gratefully received." There was a rumble of agreement and then applause.

Libby blushed and ducked her head. "Thank you," she whispered.

She sat and listened, thoroughly enjoying the play which was fast moving with acerbic humour. She laughed a lot.

Then came the first chorus. It was ragged, dull and a complete contrast to what had gone before. "Oh dear," she thought. "I'm going to have my work cut out here."

"Libby," Eve prompted her.

She stood up. "I wish," she began, "that this was happening in two years time when I should have learnt more about singing. Anything I ask you to do is based on my choral experience at school and what I learnt from a very gifted director of music. That's a thought. I wonder if I can persuade her to take over from me."

The cast laughed.

"Seriously though, that was pretty awful which is a shame because I thought that your acting beforehand was brilliant. First of all you're all singing in your throats and that is largely because you're not breathing properly. So, we'll start with that. There is a tendency for people not to breathe deeply and only use the top of their lungs. That leads to you singing in your throat and not using the full timbre and volume of your voice. So, place your hands below your ribcage, breathe out and let the tips of your middle fingers touch. Now take a deep breath. Hold it. How many of your fingers are still touching?"

The majority of heads nodded.

"That proves my point. OK, breathe out. Now do it again but make a conscious effort to expand the bottom of your lungs first."

Everyone took a deep breath.

"OK, breathe out. Did anyone fail?"

They all shook their heads.

"Great! Practise that so that it comes naturally."

"Next, projecting your voice. First of all you've got to control your breathing. So, contract the bottom of your lungs first so that you've always got some puff left at the top. Then open your throat and project your voice through your forehead. Now, I want you all to sing one note to 'ooh'. When I put my finger to my lips I want you to sing it quietly. When I open my mouth I want you to turn up the volume gradually. Ready? Hands on tummies. Middle fingers touching. An 'A' please, Eve."

Off they went. Some were puce in the face at the end and a number had cheated, taking a quick gasp.

Libby asked Eve to play 'A' again. There was a concerted 'Ow' from the cast. They were a semitone flat.

Libby did a lot more basic work with them and then looked enquiringly at Court. "Have I overshot my time?" she asked.

"No!" he exclaimed. "It was worth every minute. You were right about the play part. That's coming along fine but we do need to concentrate on the music."

The cast nodded in agreement.

"It was fun too," he added. "Let's sing that chorus again."

They did so and Libby clapped. "Much, much better. You even had smiles on your faces."

Court called it a day shortly afterwards. All the cast came up to Libby individually and thanked her saying that they had learnt a lot and enjoyed themselves.

Eve hugged her. "Bless you, Libby," she said. "You've made a huge difference already. Their attitude's changed. They wanted to learn and you've shown them how."

Court was less effusive even though he was very impressed with what Libby had achieved in one rehearsal.

"Thanks, Libby," he said. "I think everyone appreciated and enjoyed working with you."

"Thanks, Court." She smiled shyly as ever.

That evening, Friday, the entire cast came into the pub for dinner. Jenny and Gavin were behind the bar.

"Where's Libby?" demanded Eve.

"Not on this evening," said Gavin.

Eve pulled out her mobile and rang the Morris number.

"Hello?"

"Libby? Eve. You're needed up at the pub."

"Why didn't James or Jenny ring?"

Eve pulled in her cheeks. "They're running round like scalded cats," she lied.

"OK. Tell them I'll be there in ten minutes."

Not a moment late she burst in through the front door.

"Where am I wanted, Jenny?" she asked.

Jenny looked at her blankly.

"Right here," said Eve. "You're part of the gang and were the only one missing."

"Oh, God!" said Libby weakly.

"What are you going to drink?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.