The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 11

Roy went round to The Crown shortly after nine on Saturday morning and knocked on the back door. James let him in and then went back to preparing food for the evening. Jenny brought Roy a cup of coffee. He told them about the night before.

"Oi dunno 'oo the police'll contact but it could well be you."

"OK. We'll rely on customers to spread the word. Well done, you two though. How was Jean when you left her?"

"Pretty shaken still but in control of 'erself. Anyway, we've all got things to do. See you later."

Jenny went off to visit Jean.

There were half a dozen or so drinkers at lunchtime and four who had something to eat. Around one the community policewoman came in. There was an instant hush. She asked if James was available and Jenny went to fetch him.

James shook her hand. "Have you come to give us news of Marty and his friends?" he asked.

"Yes," she said.

"Well, I suggest you tell everybody here because they're the ones that'll get the word around."

"Fine. Well, all three appeared in front of a magistrate this morning. All three were charged with drug related offences, Marty with assault and causing actual bodily harm, the other two with aiding and abetting an assault and Rick for possession of an offensive weapon. Marty was remanded in custody and the other two were released on bail on their own recognizance. As part of their bail they are required to remain at home until all three appear in court next Tuesday. If any one sees them in public they should ring the Pitsbury police. We shall be doing frequent and irregular patrols around the area including calling at their houses to make sure they're in."

"What they goin' to get?" asked a customer.

"No idea."

"What time's the hearing?"

"Again, I don't know. They have to be at the court by ten but I don't know what the other cases are and what order the magistrates will take them. Now, I have to go and serve summons on the witnesses to attend."

"You won't 'ave to go far," said Roy. "Fred 'n' Oi're 'ere."

Having confirmed their identities she served the summons and then disappeared to visit Jean for the same reason.

There was a buzz of conversation. Mike, still wearing nothing but a singlet despite a cold east wind, suggested James open a book.

"With three of them that might become a bit complicated," he said.

"Nah!" said Mike scornfully. "Only on Marty. 'E's the only one as might get put away. The bet'd be on the length of sentence an' if 'e don't get put away the money goes to the pub."

"No," said James quickly. "I think it ought to go to Jean Morris."

"Oi reckon we need a separate whip round for 'er," said Roy.

"Why not just have the whip round?" asked James. "Then she'd get more."

There was a murmur of approval.

"What do you think, Mike? The book was your idea."

"I reckon the whip round's a better oidea."

"Thanks, Mike. Have we got a collecting tin, darling?"

"I think I've seen one somewhere. Hang on a minute."

She reappeared triumphantly a few minutes later with one on which she had she had stuck a label saying, 'Jean Morris Benevolent Fund'.

"I don't think we can keep it out after the weekend," she said. "She'd throw a fit if she found out about it. As it is we'll have to swear Libby to secrecy."

"Oi'll take 'er into protective custody," offered a voice.

There was a roar of laughter. "I bet you would, Harry Marshall," said Ninette. "Until I tell your wife, that is". That caused further guffaws.

James took a five-pound note out of the till. "Tantantara, zing, boom," he sang. "I declare the kitty open." He stuffed the note into it and then placed the tin in the centre of the bar. Everybody subscribed.

It stayed there and half way through the evening Jenny took twenty-five pounds out of it. She left some in it so that it rattled and felt heavy if anyone picked it up.

Libby was sworn to secrecy and had to swallow hard several times to control her emotions. The assault was inevitably the main topic of conversation at the bar that evening and Fred and Roy were congratulated several times. Jenny's offer to drive Libby and Jean to court on Tuesday was gratefully accepted. Fred would travel with Roy and Annie who insisted on accompanying him. She would farm Garry and Hettie out.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.