The Jays
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Tuesday and Wednesday passed uneventfully except that James managed to persuade Venture to erect two signs to the pub on the main road. Otherwise trade was negligible.

On Thursday things began to look up. At lunchtime a retired couple with a Labrador came in. They had walked the three miles from their own village of Millington and, after lunch, intended to walk back again. Their dog flopped by a table and never moved again. They both had a large gin and tonic, ordered a three-course meal, enjoyed a bottle of white wine with the starter and a bottle of red with the main course and finished up with coffee.

"That was absolutely first rate," said the man. "Henry Everleigh told me the food here was back up to the standard it was in Brendan's day. He rang me to test my opinion on whether to have shoot lunches here. I told him I'd tell him when I'd tried a lunch. Well, he can count me in."

"Thank you," said Jenny. "That's very good of you. James will be thrilled that you think his food is as good as Gareth's."

"Damn good cook Gareth. You know him?"

"Yes, he and James worked together for a while and his wife, Mattie, was one of my bridesmaids."

"Sweet girl," said the woman. "I'm sorry. I gather your husband's name is James but I don't know yours."

"Jenny. Jenny Hoddinot."

"That's not a common name. Any connection with Richard Hoddinot?"

"Yes, he's my father-in-law."

"Nice chap," said the man. "Played golf with him a time or two. My name's Hugo Arbuthnot and my wife Rosemary."

"Have you lived at Millington long?"

"Well, we bought the house thirty years ago but, while I was still serving, only had two three-year spells in it. We've been in it solidly, of course, since I retired fifteen years ago. Suits us very well. I've got my shooting and golf and Rosemary's got her choir in Pitsbury, theatre at Southampton and bridge at the golf club."

"Sounds ideal."

"It is," said Rosemary. "We love it. One thing that Hugo didn't mention though is that a lot of our old army friends live in the area too."

Jenny grinned. "Forgive the sales talk but do, please, tell them about us or bring them in."

"Certainly we will. You can be sure of that," smiled Rosemary.

James came through from the kitchen and had a word with them.

"How's your father?" asked Hugo. "Haven't seen him up at the golf club recently. I gather your mother died and he was very cast down."

"Still is, I'm afraid," said James, "but my brother, Bill, is over on a flying visit from Dubai and we hope he will bring Dad in for dinner on Saturday."

"Well, give him my regards."

"Thank you. I will."

They left shortly afterwards, promising to be back soon.

"They could be useful," said James.

"I think they will. I asked them to spread the word or bring people in and Rosemary said that they certainly would."

"Great!"

They had twelve covers for dinner, which was more than they had expected. They had sixteen new bookings that evening for Friday and Saturday.

Friday lunchtime was very quiet. Their only customer was Roy. Jenny got him to talk. He was married to Annie and had two small children, Gary and Hettie aged five and three. He was an agricultural mechanic working for a small firm in the neighbouring village.

"You ought to bring the family in for Sunday lunch," said Jenny.

"No fear! Gary'd be all right but 'Ettie's a roight little madam. If she don't loike something she'll let everyone know and she's got a voice loike a fog'orn. No, Jenny, they's not ready for it yet. Give us a year."

"That's very considerate of you, Roy."

"Huh! When Oi first started going to the pub there weren't no kids. No one under eighteen. Reckon it's gone too far, Oi do, but Oi'm not goin' to inflict my kids on people as wants a quiet drink or a meal."

"I know what you mean but we had young families last weekend and they were no problem at all."

"You don't know our 'Ettie. Takes after moi mother-in-law, she does. Wouldn't bring 'er in 'ere oither."

Jenny laughed.

"Up to you, Roy. By the way, any idea where Fred is today?"

"Ploughin'. They got that big field. Call it the three-day field, they do. Takes three days to plough, three days to 'arrow, three days to rake an' three days to seed. Even fertilizer takes two days."

"Golly, it must be big."

"It is but you ought to see it when Fred's ploughed it. It's a rolling field with a bit of a valley running diagonal across it but Fred's lines are dead straight. 'E's won the county ploughing competition for the last ten years."

"Has he just? I must ask him about it."

"Shouldn't bother. 'E'll clam up even more than usual."

Jenny chuckled.

"The more I get to know the people here the more I like them," she said.

"They're not bad. 'Cept for that Marty an' 'is lot."

"We were talking to Fred about it. You'll catch 'em."

"Moight take a whoile."

"So?"

"As long as they don't get away with something really bad."

"Mmm!"

Friday evening was hard work. The Stevenses and the Everleighs fulfilled their promises so that was twelve covers plus ten more from the twelve who had booked on Thursday evening. Eight more came in without booking making a total of thirty, just under half full. The Jays were thrilled but had to work their hearts out to keep up with demand. Jenny oscillated between bar and kitchen. Of the two Morrises, Jean had chosen to come in. She did not spare herself and was a godsend to James, cutting vegetables and dishing up. She was unable to make any inroads on the washing up until after nine but appeared happy throughout. She was unwilling to serve tables and James, understanding her reluctance, did not press her. He considered asking Libby to come in as well to help behind the bar but reckoned that, with her lack of experience, she would be a hindrance rather than a help. As it was Gavin coped admirably, only calling Jenny out of the kitchen for help twice.

James was unable to do his rounds of the tables before half-past nine but was greeted warmly at each one. The people pressed by the Stevenses and Everleighs all promised to return.

At ten o'clock James and Jenny switched. She went into the kitchen to help Jean allowing James to be behind the bar and talk to customers.

On one of his forays to collect empty glasses, Ginny buttonholed him.

"I gather you've taken on Jean and Libby," she said quietly.

"Yes but only for nine hours between them. We can't afford to do more than that unfortunately."

"It was a very sweet thing of you both to do even so. We're all very fond of them and poor Jean was absolutely devastated by Martin's death even though, I think, she suspected it would happen sooner rather than later. You've given them a lifeline and I know she'll use it and get herself a decently paid job. The extra money that Libby earns will help her enormously when she goes up to the Royal Academy." She chuckled. "If there weren't all these people around I'd give you a kiss but it would embarrass you so it'll have to be on credit."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.