Give My Love to Rose - Cover

Give My Love to Rose

Copyright© 2009 by Scotland-the-Brave

Chapter 13

Henderson opened the door to the library and coughed quietly to get Henry's attention. Sinclair looked up and waved him inside, indicating that he was happy to be interrupted.

"I've got a report from our assets in Monroe, Sir. It would seem that your assessment of Mr MacSween was accurate. Markow is dead, his death made to look like a suicide. A single shot — in through the mouth, out through the back of the head," said the butler.

Despite his intuition about the young man, Henry admitted to himself that he was still somewhat surprised that Gavin was able to kill. He glanced at the wall-clock and quickly calculated how long it had taken. Allowing for the time to get to Monroe, it would appear that young MacSween hadn't delayed at all in dealing with the police chief.

Henry pictured the quiet young man who had sat opposite him the night before and shivered as he realised that he had been that close to someone who was fully capable of killing another human being. Violence was not something that he was comfortable with — ruthless in business yes, but violence? No, that was for others.

His description of the Knights Templar during his conversation with Gavin had been pretty accurate. The Order was able to get virtually anything done simply by using its power, influence and the network of people it could call on. Violence wasn't something they resorted to though and that had made dealing with Osvaldo and Macheda all the more difficult.

"Have we cleaned things up?" he asked now absently, the focus of his thoughts still half on Gavin.

"Of course, Sir. Our man took the liberty of calling in a forensics team to remove any traces of anyone other than Markow. He also planted a laptop with a typed suicide note. The note gives clues on how Johnny was framed for the robbery and a confession from Markow that he was the one who killed him," Henderson reported.

"Good. At least in death my son's good name can be restored — I have Mr MacSween to thank for that too. The note might also benefit Gavin, as it should remove him as a fugitive in the eyes of the police," Henry mused.

"Indeed, Sir."

"Is there any word from Considine?" Henry asked.

"Nothing yet, Sir, but it will take him a few hours to put everything in place before he makes his move."


The next few days in Cedar City were uncomfortable for Gavin. Sinclair had told him that the police from Palm Springs knew his name and were hunting him for Johnny Sinclair's murder. He was sure that the cops were going to burst through the door at any moment.

Fiona had to be told about Frank being Gavin's real father and that caused some tension around the house for a while. Christine intervened, taking her daughter aside and explaining how she felt about Frank being the one to fire the shot that had killed her husband.

A little part of Fiona remained 'daddy's girl' and it was difficult for her to have the old wound of her father's death re-opened. Gavin was especially attentive to her needs though and her mother's explanation of how much more Glen could have suffered helped her at least be civil to Frank.

Gavin was also fretting about Rose Sinclair's predicament. He had found an unexpected ally in Christine when that part of the story had finally been told to the rest of the family.

When his mother heard the full extent of the love between Johnny and Rose, the tragedy of Johnny's incarceration and murder and then the harrowing details of what had happened to Rose, she was grim faced.

"Isn't this just the kind of thing that you've vowed to sort out?" she demanded of him. "From what you say, it's quite clear that the normal authorities can't help this poor woman — you have to do something."

The very recent pain and suffering of losing her own daughter, even for only a few days, helped Christine overcome her concern for Gavin's safety for once.

"I can't imagine what that poor woman has been through. To have your child ripped from you and to have no hope of ever seeing him again — how awful," Christine lamented.

"What about Gavin? Are you sure you want him putting his life on the line again?" Fiona objected, keen to have the reassurance of her hero brother close by for quite a while longer.

"Don't be so selfish, Fiona," Christine rebuked her daughter. "I'm willing to bet that you never lost hope that Gavin would find and rescue you. Wasn't that something that you held onto? Why shouldn't this Rose have the same hope?"

Fiona looked suitably embarrassed at her mother identifying her real reasons for wanting Gavin to stay at home — she was being selfish.

"It's a moot point anyway," said Gavin. "I've got no idea where her son is — so how can I possibly re-unite them? And it was difficult enough getting into the house to see Rose — past all of those guards — how can I possibly get her out of there? I've got no sort of plan worked out."

"Well I suggest you start working on one. Didn't you say that you gave her your mobile number? She could phone at any time needing your help," Christine warned.

At least one of Gavin's concerns was greatly eased that same night. He had been watching the news channels like a hawk, hoping to learn anything he could about the policeman's death. This far away from Louisiana, he knew it was unlikely, but as he watched Cedar City News that evening he saw a picture of the cop on the screen.

... Greg Markow, Chief of Police in Cathedral City, Palm Springs had been working with our own Chief of Police, Phil Grissom over the past few weeks. Chief Grissom told Cedar City News that he had been asked to help apprehend a murder suspect — one Gavin MacSween.

Do we know how Chief Markow met his death, Val?

Marsha, the Monroe coroner is remaining tight-lipped, but sources tell me that Chief Markow may have committed suicide. As I understand it, Markow left a note behind in which he admitted to the killing of a man in Palm Springs only a few weeks ago.

Are you saying that the policeman was somehow trying to frame this suspect, Val? And that he convinced our own Chief of Police to work with him on this?

Marsha I have to stress here that there is no suggestion that Chief Grissom is in any way implicated in trying to frame this suspect. It appears as if he was simply duped by Markow into believing MacSween was a fugitive.

It's not very comforting to think that our own Chief of Police could have been so easily fooled, Val.

Cedar City officials have been quick to point out that Chief Markow had a genuine warrant for MacSween's arrest, Marsha. They told me today that in the circumstances, Chief Grissom did exactly what would have been expected of him and that no blame can be attached to him for that.

Gavin recognised that Cedar City News was like every other local media outlet — they were focusing on the story from the perspective of what it meant for their area. Because of that there was more detail about Chief Grissom and whether he was culpable than there was about the circumstances of Markow's death and everything else that went with it. He remembered a joke from back home in Glasgow along the same lines. The story went that in 1912 a Glasgow newspaper had carried the headline:

GLASGOW MAN LOST AT SEA

but the story under the headline had actually been about the sinking of the Titanic with the loss of 1500 lives. Parochialism at its best.

With confirmation that the cop — he now had a name — Chief Markow had been found, Gavin resorted to his old standby the internet to try to find out more details. The reference by the Cedar City News reporter to a suicide note didn't make any sense to him at all — there had been nothing of that nature when he had left the cabin.

Monroe coroner's department and their police force were clearly leaking like a sieve, because there were all kinds of details being reported in local Louisiana media outlets. He quickly learned that a forensic examination had ruled out foul play and that Markow's death was being treated as an open and shut case of suicide.

Speculation, fuelled by a note left on a laptop, was that Markow had eventually cracked under the stress of having framed Johnny Sinclair for robbery and then compounding that by killing him on his release from prison. Claims suggested that the police had somehow cottoned onto the fact that Markow himself was actually the killer of Johnny Sinclair and they had been close to arresting the Chief of Cathedral City PD.

The way the Monroe Herald described it was that Markow had been fearful that his original crime of framing Sinclair for robbery was going to come to light and that he had killed Johnny to stop that. When it seemed as if he was going to be exposed for both the corruption and the murder, he had taken a typical policeman's way out and killed himself with his own service revolver.

The newspaper also reported that an Aaron Bosco had been arrested in Palm Springs, suspected of being complicit in the frame-up of Johnny Sinclair. Gavin allowed himself a smile of satisfaction — the chickens appeared to have come home to roost. The further reference to the suicide note still bothered him though — where had that come from? He remembered the feeling of being watched when he had returned to the SUV with Fiona in his arms.

"I wonder? Is it possible that Henry Sinclair has taken a hand in this? Was there someone from the Order following me? He's the only one other than Osvaldo who knew where Markow was holding Fiona. Could he have ordered a member of the Order based in Monroe to watch the cabin?"

The fact that the suicide note seemed to clear Johnny's name at the same time as correctly identifying his killer gave that idea some credence Gavin thought.

"At least I can stop worrying that the police are after me, that's a relief."


"Richard, it's so good to hear from you. We haven't met up in such a long time," Henry Sinclair declared, the warmth of his greeting obvious in his tone.

"Yes, it has been too long old boy. Actually, I was thinking of popping over for a visit tomorrow if that wouldn't be too short notice?" suggested Lord Richard Malmesbury.

Henry guessed that the enquiries he had asked Richard to carry out must have uncovered something. Whatever it was had to be good if he wasn't willing to entrust it to the Order's heavily secured communications system.

"Splendid! Of course it's not too short notice. I'm looking forward to seeing you again. What time are you landing? I'll get someone to pick you up at the airport," Henry offered.

"Forgive me for being presumptuous, Henry, but I'm already at the airport. I should be with you in about eight hours. I'm flying into New Orleans and then a short haul to Baton Rouge."

"Nonsense, Richard. There's nothing to forgive. I'll see you then and maybe even ask cook to prepare a good Scots breakfast for you?"

Malmesbury laughed on the other end of the line.

"I'm not sure my arteries are up to such a thing, Henry. I'll see you soon."

Sinclair summoned Henderson and gave him details of Lord Malmesbury's flights.

"Can you arrange a car to pick him up please?" Henry asked.

"Of course, Sir. I take it his visit is no coincidence?" Henderson asked.

"I'm guessing not. Coming in person does suggest that what he's found is likely to be rather juicy though, eh? Yes, young Mr MacSween is becoming more interesting by the day, don't you think?"

"As you say, Sir."

"What's the latest from Considine," Henry asked.

"I only managed to raise him about an hour ago, Sir. He's another who would like to see you in person rather than pass on details by phone. I've asked him to be here at 20:00. I hope that's okay?" asked Henderson (who was clearly so much more than a butler).

"That's fine, Henderson. Show him right in when he gets here. Now, about the boy. How are the Davidson's taking the news that he's finally going back to his mother?"

"I can't pretend that they're not disappointed, Sir, Especially Brenda. But you've made it clear all along that they shouldn't become too attached to the boy. I think the call they received from Osvaldo helped convince them that this is a serious situation," said Henderson.

"Oh? He called?"

"Yes, Sir. He told Graham that one of his men would be picking the boy up tonight," advised Henderson.

"Why wasn't I informed?" stormed Henry. "Didn't anyone think this might be important? For ten years Osvaldo has been content to leave Donald with the Davidsons and now all of a sudden he wants the boy back? Something's not right here — I just know it. Get Considine here as quickly as possible, this stinks!"


Rose had very little warning. Neither had she ever seen Osvaldo looking so flustered. He burst into her room and for once there was no attempt to charm her.

"Be ready to leave within half an hour," he ordered brusquely. "Pack the minimum of clothing — anything that won't fit in one bag has to be left behind."

"Why?" Rose asked, her curiosity aroused. Anything that had Osvaldo upset had to be good news for her she thought.

"I'm taking you to see your son," Osvaldo dangled his bait.

Rose's sudden excitement was tempered by her experience of this man — she didn't trust him for a second. But the possibility of seeing Donald after all this time overrode her suspicions, that was something she couldn't pass up.

When he returned to collect her half an hour later, Rose was stuffing the final few things into her bag.

"I'm nearly ready," she said, "give me a few minutes."

"I'll see you downstairs," Osvaldo snapped and left the room.

Rose slipped her little mobile phone into her hand and keyed in the number that Gavin had given her. She knew that something didn't feel right about this and she felt the need to tell someone before it was too late perhaps.

"Hi," Gavin answered.

"It's Rose Sinclair. I'm sorry to bother you, but I think Osvaldo is up to something. He's made me pack clothes at short notice and has promised that he's taking me to see Donald."

"Maybe he's telling the truth," Gavin suggested, but Rose could hear the suspicion in his voice.

"Mmm, right. After ten years he's suddenly decided I should see my son? I don't like it, but I can't take the chance of refusing," Rose conceded.

"Is he hiding where you're going? Is he threatening to blindfold you or anything?" Gavin asked.

Rose hadn't even thought of that.

"No. Why?" she asked.

Gavin didn't want to frighten her by suggesting that one explanation for Osvaldo appearing unconcerned about her knowing their destination was that she might not be coming back.

"It's nothing," he said. "Just try to text me with details of where you go. I'll try to make sure you're okay."

Rose knew she was out of time, but even the short exchange with Gavin made her feel better. She hid her phone in the depths of her bag and then carried it downstairs.

Stepping out of the front door of the big house, she knew immediately that something was wrong. A convoy of five jeeps was lined up in the drive, giving the appearance that Osvaldo was taking a small army to wherever it was they were going. Dropping her bag, she marched up to him.

"What's all this? Where are we going and why do we need all of these men?" she asked.

"Just do as you're told," Osvaldo snapped at her. "Get in that jeep over there."

He pointed to the jeep that was in the middle of the five and Rose saw that Theresa was already carrying her bag over to it.

"So, my maid is coming too? Why would I need my maid?" she asked herself. As she walked to the jeep, she recognised Macheda sitting in the jeep in front of the one designated for her. Macheda too? What is going on?"

It only took another few minutes to have all of the jeeps loaded with gear and men. From the back seat of her vehicle, Rose heard the static chatter that told her the jeeps were all in communication with each other. Osvaldo climbed into the front passenger seat and gave the order to pull out.

"Signal Roberto to lead off," he ordered the driver.

Rose recognised the route they were taking as being the road towards New Orleans. Theresa was sitting beside her; otherwise she might have risked sending Gavin a text with that information. Instead, she knew she would have to wait until it was safe to do so.

"Why New Orleans?" she thought.


Considine checked his watch for about the sixth time in as many minutes. He knew things were going to be tight and he sincerely hoped Osvaldo made his getaway on time. It was important for the big house to be empty when he informed Henry Sinclair that Osvaldo had run — otherwise Marty's own relationship with Osvaldo would come out. He didn't want that to happen — if it did, his own plans would be sunk. When he told Henry that Osvaldo and Macheda were gone — it had to be true.

Sinclair's lackey, Henderson, had been trying to reach him for almost an hour, but he had refused to take the man's calls. Now he started the engine of his Lexus and headed for Henry's plantation house — it was time to face the music he decided.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.