Titanium Blue - Cover

Titanium Blue

Copyright© 2009 by Sir Endrick

Chapter 2

I watched Bob head for the employee parking lot, then headed down the block where I parked the van. I jogged a few blocks down to the Subway and turned into the alley behind it. I dug the remote from my hip pouch and opened the side doors of the van. I climbed in but even with a full size van it's a squeeze to get into the back when you are 8'3 and 2700 lbs.

The van leaned a bit as I got in and then settled down in the heavy duty shocks with a groan. Once I was in and got the automatic doors closed I willed the change and switched to my alter-ego Mark Anderson. I quickly melted and reformed so I was in my wheelchair, slid into the drivers seat and headed for O'Reily's. It was a cop bar where officers from the 17th precinct went after work. I was meeting Bob Murphy, one of the cops I met in my hero persona Titanium Blue and the only person who knows my secret identity.

I pulled up outside the bar, parked and dropped the wheelchair lift, rolled out and lowered it to the ground. I have a pretty cool set up for the van, it's a split lift so that when the lift folds it also splits in half so the side doors are unblocked and accessible. It let's me get around anywhere I wanna go, but I 'll be glad when my bike is done.

I headed in and rolled across the darkened room to the bar, as I crossed the room I flipped a switch under the arm rest and the seat started to raise up to bring me to the height of the bar. I weaved through the tables keeping an eye on the TV's scattered around the room. The Bulls game was on from the west coast and they were leading 92 – 86 in the 3rd quarter over the Lakers. I was a Bulls fan back before Michael retired, but once he was gone I lost interest. I didn't watch for a number of years and then MJ took over as head coach, I got hooked again cause he's been able to instill that same competitive spirit in the team as the head coach he had as a player.

I rolled up next to Bob "Hey chief, how are they looking tonight?"

Bob looked over for a sec then back to the screen as he took a drag off the corona "Not too bad, MJ has em playing good. The last 6 weeks they've gotten much better."

He learned over a bit and half whispered "I wasn't sure who to expect."

I pulled out my blackberry and checked it real quick "I needed to check messages so I had to change anyway so I figured what the hell." I didn't have any urgent messages or voice mails. "Ok, nothing new there" I slipped my phone back in the holster and motioned for the bartender.

"Hey Jimmy, diet coke and a menu, I'm starved"

Bob looked at me and chuckled "Yeah, that whole desk job thing is a killer"

"Well I haven't eaten since the game ended at 3:30 and it's 9:30 so I'm a tad bit peckish ... In a nutshell. I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do the trick," so, I curtailed my footballing activities, sallied forth, and infiltrated this place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!"

I looked at Jimmy "What kind of cheeses do you have in this fine establishment my good man?"

Bob tried to pass his corona thru his nose, Jimmy just looked confused.

Bob wiped his face "Damn it Mark, stop making me laugh when I'm drinking"

"Jimmy forget the menu, gimme a burger, no catchup, with onion, mustard, pickle and fries."

He yelled back to Manuel and went to check on someone else.

"So what did Denise ask you at the station?" I took a drink of my coke, trying to hide my curiosity.

"She asked what I knew about you, how well I knew you. That kind of stuff" then Bob stopped, looked around and headed for a corner table.

I followed and dropped my seat "What? Something mysterious?"

Bob chuckled "No but it's not exactly you we are talking about"

"True, I just don't think of myself as two different people. I should know better. Hell I read DC and Marvel comics for years."

Bob looked confused.

I chuckled "I'll explain later."

I forget this world has super heroes there are very few super hero comics, except for a few put out based on actual heroes. They're more of a biography/comic based on public record reports and interviews heroes gave. DC and Marvel just didn't exist, fictional heroes were sort of pointless when you could see the real thing on the news or TV.

"The reason I asked is well. I never dated much before coming here and most people are a bit intimidated by you know who."

"Well she didn't seem intimidated at all. In fact she seemed intrigued. I told her you were a good guy, don't let the looks scare you and." Bob stopped just as Jimmy brought over my burger.

"Thanks Jimmy, looks as good as always" I grabbed a few napkins and salted my fries.

Jimmy headed back to the bar and Bob waited for him to get out of ear shot " ... she looked like she was more than mildly interested"

both my eyebrows shot up "Really?"

"Yeah, and then I told her some other stuff and she just nodded and headed out, like she made up her mind about something. I think you might be in for an interesting time with her" Bob smirked.

I shook My head "Nah, she is probably just a super-groupie"

"A what?"

"A super-groupie, someone who just wants to say they have been with a Hero. It's a term the community uses to describe the hangers on. Hell, it's bad sometimes and worse for the female supers."

Bob laughed "Who'd have guessed"

"Remember that battle Ms. Neutron had outside of Vegas last year?"

Bob nodded. "Yeah, that nut in the powered armor that took the casino hostage"

"Yeah, well turns out he was a super-groupie with too much smarts for his own good. He was obsessed with her and made the armor to try and get her attention."

"No shit. I doubt he expected her to peel him out of that armor like a grape and toss him to the cops"

"Well apparently he's out in Nevada at Bentham on a 10 to 25 sentence. Seems one of Feds who responded was killed and a couple other local and federal officers got hurt pretty bad."

Bob cringed "I saw Bentham on MSNBC the other night. That place is scarey."

"Yeah no joke, I can't imagine how bad that place would be"

Bentham is a SUPER-Max prison, not a super-max prison like where I was from. This place was built to hold super powered villains and those deemed to dangerous to be held in a standard prison. It's about 12 miles off of Nevada route 318 in the mountains, about 200 miles north of Las Vegas. There are no roads in and out of the prison, just a small military base where prisoners are brought to and flown in. When a really dangerous criminal is caught they are transferred into a self-contained cell module, tried from the cell, and if found guilty the cell with the prisoner is transported via military convoy to the base. The cell and its occupant are flown the 12 miles from the base suspended below a CH-47D Helicopter. Once the prison has been reached the cell is placed in the landing zone and transported into the prison block where it is locked into place. The prisoner never has contact with other people. All food, air and clothing handled remotely. With some prisoners the cells can be configured to suppress powers and abilities if their powers are inherent.

I shook off the images of that place "So what makes you think she's on the up and up?"

"Well, from what she told Detective Wells and I, she works for Arnson Bio-Tech as one of their lead researchers in bio-mechanics and robotics. Arnson was one of the companies that helped build and manage the systems out at Bentham actually." Bob laughed "She might be someone good to know if you get your ass tossed in the clink"

"So you think I should give her a call?"

Bob looked at me like I sprouted an extra head "Hello McFly, did you see her... ? She's gorgeous. Now you know she's smart, and working for them you know she's sane. The psychological testing to get security clearance to work there means she's not a raving loon. of course you should call her."

I nodded. "OK so what is this good news?"

Bob grinned like the Cheshire cat "After we got back from that call, the captain called me in and let me know I got the promotion to Sargent"

I slapped Bob on the shoulder "Hot damn Tamale, when does it take effect?"

"Tomorrow morning, and the captain is going to be putting my name in for the detective exam" His grin got even bigger

"Jimmy, bring the sarge here another beer on Me" "Oh hey I almost forgot, I'm gonna be out of town for a week or so, I'm going out to Long Beach California."

"I'm gonna do a little sight seeing, maybe see LA?"

"So what are you doing out in Long Beach?"

I'm flying out to pick something up and then riding back..."

Bob laughed "OK, why the mysterious act. You have something up your sleeve?"

I grinned trying to hide my excitement. "you know who's shop is out in Long Beach don't you?"

Bob set his beer down and glared "you bastard, you've been holding out on me."

I laughed "Well I was going to wait and just pull up in front of the station."

His eyes got big "How did you get Jesse to agree to build it?"

I chuckled "OK think about it. He builds custom one-off bikes from scratch and this is definitely a custom bike. Plus I agreed to appear on a Discovery special for him about the build..."

"Oh man, So when do you pick it up?"

"I fly out to LA on Friday and I'll be riding back. I'm gonna spend a few days in LA riding and getting used to it, then hit the road for home."

Bobs nodded "Man I wish I could go with you, but once you get back we should ride."

"You ride?"

Bob nodded "Yeah both Jane and I do."

"Jane rides too? I'd never have guessed. We definitely should, I'll have to meet Jane."

Bobs eyebrows furrowed "What do you mean you need to meet, you've been coming to gaming for 6 months. Oh yeah, she knows I know you, but not how well."

"Yeah, "WE" haven't met." I thought about it for a minute "Bob, do you think Jane would freak out if she knew the truth? I've felt bad about not being honest with her."

Bob chuckled "you don't know what she did before the kids came along do you? She was a trauma surgeon at County General. I met her after I got shot in the leg. She's just about one of the toughest, most level headed people I know." "Why do you think I married her? Being a cops wife isn't easy."

"OK, why don't we get together when I get back from LA and I can tell her"

"Sounds good, We can all go out to dinner and later, once the kids are in bed we can do it?"

"Ok, that'll work."


I waited til Tuesday to call Denise. For some reason I was nervous when I went to dial and had to hang up on the first try. I mentally slapped myself and switched to TB then redialed.

"Hello, this is Denise"

"Hi Denise, this is Titanium Blue. You gave me your number on Sunday"

"Yes, I wanted to say thank you for jumping in on Sunday. I was ticked when he tried to hit me."

"No problem, Charlies Tap Room can get a bit wild and woolly during Football season."

"Especially when the Bears tank another one. You'd think after Favre retired we'd have it easier" Denise paused for a second. "The reason I wanted you to call me was because I wanted to ask you to dinner. I wanted you to call me in case you weren't interested."

I laughed "Oh I can't imagine why I'd want to, you're intelligent, attractive, feisty and you're a Bruce Lee fan. The only thing worse would be if you were a Python fan"

"So, I'll take that as a yes?"

I laughed "Yes, you can take that as a yes. When did you have in mind?"

"How does Friday night sound say around 7 pm?"

"Friday ... I can't, I have to take a business trip to LA and I'll be gone a little over a week. How about Friday week after next? I'll call you when I get back into town."

She paused "Sure ... what are you doing in LA?"

"I'm picking up a new custom ride. I made a deal to appear on a special for Discovery with Jesse James and he is building me a bike."

"Wait, you got Jesse to build you a bike? I thought he was semi-retired from building and was doing other things? Oh, well we'll have to go riding when you get back."

I laughed "You've surprised me again. Brilliant Scientist, Martial Artist and now Motor Cycle rider?" "Next thing you'll tell me you own a Harley"

she giggled into my ear "Nope, 1951 Indian Chief I rebuilt by hand"

I think she heard my jaw hit the desk cause she laughed.

I made a snap decision "How hard is it for you to get vacation time?"

"Huh?"

"Well, how would flying to LA, meeting Jesse James and riding cross country work as a first date for you? I'll even bring my tux for dinner in LA."

"Deal, when do we fly out?"

I laughed "Friday at 11 am O'Hare, but wear something casual. I have to fly freight"

Denise giggled into my ear again "Freight? You're kidding right?"

I chuckled "Nope, I'm too heavy for commercial flights without buying 14 seats and 14 seats in first class are expensive. It's about 15 thousand to fly commercial. I worked out a deal with American Parcel Service for 8 thousand and I don't have to sit in the cargo hold" "it's why I don't fly much unless I have to"

Denise kept chuckling in my ear.

"What?"

she was laughing now "I can see you sitting in the cargo hold with a sticker on your forehead for delivery"

I chuckled "Well ya do what you have to"

"Tell you what, let me take care of the flight arrangements. Give me about 2 hrs and I'll get us a flight"


"Hi TB?"

"Hi Denise, so what's the plan?"

"Friday 11 am, Palwaukee Airport. I think you'll like this better"

"What, you don't wanna have to claim me at the APS terminal?"

she giggled "Well, not at the APS terminal anyway"

I think My jaw hit the desk again.

We talked for a little while longer about things to see in Southern California and some loose plans.

"I also want to get some time on the bike before we hit the road back"

"yes, you'll want to get the feel of it and see how it handles"

"Yeah that too. I've never ridden a motorcycle actually"

"wait" Denise sounded shocked "You mean you bought a 100,000 dollar custom bike and you've never ridden one?"

"Well yeah, not many bikes are built stock for someone who is 8'3" and 2700 lbs. I wanted it so I could get around the city easier." "and well, now I can ride a bike so I got one"

Denise laughed "you'll have to explain that someday."


It was pretty quiet around town the next few days so I caught up on some reading and studied the rules of the road for my motorcycle license. Returned a few phone calls to some clients I was doing some computer work for in my civilian identity.

I also did my normal late night rounds of the city like I has been doing for the last few years, but I was looking forward to having the bike. I'd be able to patrol the city without having to worry about a place to switch to TB when I heard a call come in. There have been times when a call came in that it was a challenge to find a place to park the van and switch without being seen.

Since it had been so quiet the last few nights I decided to head out to the NW suburbs on Thursday to visit my friend Kim. I knew Kim in my old life as well, and it seems Kim and I had the same relationship in this universe. Years ago back in high school Kim and I met at a summer camp for disabled kids and we had been friends ever since.

It was a pretty miserable November afternoon, it had started snowing in the late morning. It was the wet slick snow that sticks and makes things messy on the roads. I figured by rush hour it would be a nightmare so I decided to get an early start. In the Chicago area the one thing you can count on is the minute a few flakes of snow starts to fall I-90 turns into a parking lot. For some reason the traffic slowdown was worse than usual. It was pretty bad, but it didn't figure it would be this slow. I had just crawled up to the toll booth after 40 minutes at a mind blowing speed of 5 miles an hour.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.