An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 25

David was in now condition to keep track of where they went. Soon enough they were driving into garage. Everyone bundled out. And they escorted half carried David through various doors, and a back alley until they entered what had to be a nightclub. There was a musician playing some dance tune on a piano, and a quartet of girls trying out some steps.

Three men sat smoking and observing the long legs of the dancers. The pianist didn't miss a note as David and his escort entered. The girls stared but didn't stop practising their routine. David, supported on either side, stood facing the three dance fans. The middle one called out "Enough of this gentlemen. Get our guest a chair." There was a scurry of activity, and David collapsed into a chair.

"And who may you be?" The guy in the centre enquired.

David blinked blearily. "I am David Ogilvy. And to whom do I extend my thanks for such a timely rescue?"

The man in the centre laughed, closely followed by his two smoker buddies. "I guess it doesn't hurt for you to know who I am. Frank Costello's the name. And now that the pleasantries are seen too, what are you to the piece of shit Genevose?"

David thought carefully about what to say. 'These were mobsters, but they hadn't hurt him ... yet. That could change. But, what the hell... '

Taking a deep breath, he replied "I think he was working for some government group. I can't be certain of that, but nobody ought to know where I am, but Genovese' goons were waiting for me."

"So Genovese is doing some dirty laundry for the Feds ... hah! He would sleep with his own mother if he thought it would earn him a buck. So why would the Feds be interested in you Mr Ogilvy?"

'Here comes the crunch' David realised. 'Truth or dare'.

"Its like this Mr Costello, I'm aware that the President of the United States is one corrupt son of a bitch, and he knows that I know. So he wants to get rid of me."

Costello raised his hand. "Enough for now." turning to the men surrounding David, he said, "Guys, get yourself something to drink and go watch the girls." Lowering his voice, he spoke to his companions, "Eddie. Ponzo, go get David here something to drink. Take your time. Capiche?"

"Sure boss", they responded in unison.

When they were alone, Costello continued, "So what do you know about our esteemed President?"

David didn't answer the question directly. "I know that there is an outstanding warrant on Lucky Luciano, and that he has some sort of evidence about Dewey being on the take." David didn't think it was wise to mention that he had copies of Luciano's statement, and other pieces of incriminating evidence. He knew that Luciano and Genovese had had a falling out a couple of years ago. Maybe Costello knew Luciano.

Costello nodded. "But that doesn't explain your situation, does it?" He smiled. "You sure stirred Genovese. He knows I'm gunning for him. He knows I have a contract out on him. But he comes out of hiding for you! He wanted something from you. So what was it he was after?"

Maybe it was the pain, or maybe it was just the frustration and violence of the past few hours, but David had had it! "Look either kill me or let me go. I have nothing else I want to say to you."

Costello looked at David closely. "Hey, Ogilvy! Don't get so upset! I don't want to kill you. But maybe you and I can do some business."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.