An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 19

Liz gently shook David awake. "Come on sleepy head, time for some breakfast".

The pain from his broken ribs was slightly muted by the tight bandages that Liz and Josh had wound him in. Gingerly he slowly got out of bed. Julia he noticed was still sleeping. Liz caught his eye and brought her finger to her lips. "Let's leave Julia to her dreams shall we?" David nodded and looked around for something to put on.

Liz frowned. "I had Josh burn your clothes; they were ruined and smelt like a cess pit! I had him go and purchase some reasonable replacements."

Standing in his boxers, he was very aware that Liz was watching him. "Liz, if you would be so kind, I would like some privacy. Having the future Queen of England watch me dress is putting me right off!" At least she had the decency to blush.

"Sorry David," she blurted, "I was just checking your body, I mean the bandages on your body, err your chest, err your ribs..."

"Liz" he said kindly, "How about going and making sure breakfast is ready."

"Yes, that's right! Breakfast!" and she hurried from the room.

Ever so slowly, he dressed. But putting his shoes and socks on was beyond him. Shrugging, he padded bare foot out the door, across the hall to Liz and Josh's room.

The two of them had breakfast spread across the double bed. Fresh bread, jam, butter, even some boiled eggs! Josh looked up guiltily as he entered. Wiping the jam from his mouth, he stuttered, "It was starting to go stale — I thought since it had taken such an effort to get it, I had better start eating it!"

Liz approached with a large mug. "Coffee?" he enquired hopefully.

She frowned, "No, Tea! I don't understand why you Americans are so preoccupied with coffee! It isn't as if it tastes good!"

"Ah!" David responded, "Wait till you come to my family home in Virginia — I will brew you a cup of coffee that will convert you from your tea-drinking bondage!"

She smiled. "Its good to see you up and about David."

"Here, here" seconded Josh. "I was beginning to think I would never get rid of this." As he spoke he tossed the small metal film container to David. Who, laden with a large mug of steaming tea and at least two broken ribs, promptly spilt the first and yelped with pain as he dropped the other.

"Oops," ventured Josh, "Sorry about that!"

"Due to there being a lady present" David muttered, "I will not say what I think you deserve to hear!"

Josh smiled wickedly, and turning to Liz said "Typical Yank! Two left feet, and clumsy to boot! Now get over here my old son and dig in, or it will all go to waste!"

The room was quiet for the next several minutes as they all ate and drank, and relaxed.

"So," Liz asked, "What do we do now?"

"Yes" Josh agreed, "Our options are getting slimmer every day we are delayed. Liz has to have her face seen too and quickly."

David cursed inwardly. He had forgotten that his problems were not their problems. In fact he was the reason they were stuck up here in Reykjavik. They were as good as marooned on a desert Island. They were not leaving until the police said they could leave. He just hoped that the police could not connect Julia and Liz to those burnt bodies out at the garbage tip.

The conversation wandered on, but really there was no clear answer. Hearing the door open David turned to see Julia, looking quite haggard. With a look of urgency in her voice she said "What day is it?"

Liz got up quickly and moved to Julia's side. Julia was leaning against the doorframe and it was obvious that it was the only thing the kept her erect.

Josh spoke up, "Good God! Julia! You look a wreck!"

'He would not win any awards for sensitivity' thought David hiding his smile. "Today is Friday 11th. Is that an issue?" he queried.

Julia slumped against Liz. "That's a relief" she croaked, "We still have time"

"Time for what" prompted Josh. "I would think that all we have is too much blasted time!"

"No! No, you don't understand, my superiors had a fallback if there were any problems. To that end tomorrow morning a Royal Navy destroyer ought to enter the harbour seeking refuelling and supplies. While they couldn't risk your royal self sailing out of a British port, they think it ought to be fairly safe from here to America." Such a long speech had tired her out and Liz began fussing.

"Come on then, back to bed you. I will bring you something to eat and drink. The more rest you get the better."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.