An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 17

There was little talking on the plane. The co-pilot had emerged from the cockpit ostentatiously strapping a rather large pistol to his hip.

"Folks" he started, in what he thought was a disarming manner, "I'm goin'a have to insist y'all just stay seated where you are until we've landed and the folks at Reykjavik can sort out what's been happin' here." He smiled warmly, but his gun spoke louder than his words.

Various couples bent their heads toward one another and started conversing. "Damn this!" Julia hissed. "We don't need any delays!"

"Iceland is an ally — can't you just get some official from the Embassy to smooth the way for us?" responded David.

"If only it were that easy," she sighed, "Even the Embassy doesn't know where we are. There are too many leaks as it is. What do you think is going on here? Is she poisoned?"

"According to her doctor husband she is, err was. But I can't help but feel that the target was me."

Julia nodded. "That makes sense. All we have to do is figure out who put the poison in the bottle!"

The landing in Ellidaavogur estuary was as rough as the take off. They found out later that the harbour officials had had to break the ice to allow the landing, something that the captain had sensibly kept from them. Soon everyone had been transported to the Airline's waiting lounge.

After everyone was assembled, a senior looking police officer stepped forward. "Good evening," he began in clear, if clipped, English, "I am Chief of Police Jón Stefánsson. I am sorry to inconvenience you, but until we know what has happened, I must insist that you all remain here. Please do not speak to each other until we have had the opportunity to interview you."

Various police officers were positioned strategically. 'Maybe they hope the guilty party will make a bolt for it' thought David. Julia kept looking at her watch and quietly cursing. David was amazed at her fluency.

By morning it was obvious that there was no easy solution to the crime. David had been a prime suspect — but no motive could be discerned. Finally Chief Stefánsson had allowed them to go after collecting everyone's passports. They were to stay in Reykjavk until given permission to leave.

They all trudged wearily out into the chilly early morning sunlight. The sunlight seemed thin, and people pulled their coats closer and hurried off to find some accommodation. Josh and Liz joined David and Julia and together they walked down Naustavogur to the recommended B&B. As they walked Julia scanned the surroundings. "Book us in David," she said, "Two rooms — one for us, one for Liz and Josh. Make it look like we are going to stay for a week. I'm going to do a little scouting. I'll meet you in our rooms."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.