An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 13

Breakfast was a little different from what David was used to. While his family had servants, those in Royal service seemed as if born to meet the needs of those they served. It was if they were just waiting for the twitch of an eyebrow, a sigh or the dab of a napkin, and there they were with whatever it was you needed — even if you hadn't realised you needed it.

Breakfast was — as far as such a thing could be — a low key affair. Present were David and Julia, Liz and Josh. David was taken aback to see that Liz already knew Josh, and could detect an icy tension in the regard they had for one another. This surprised David, he thought of Josh as a soldier who would willingly die for his sovereign — yet the looks they were giving each other would not have been out of place between Churchill and Stalin.

Half of Liz's face was bandaged and her voice was slurred, but the spark in her visible eye led David to the conclusion that she would be a formidable monarch.

"David" she asked, "could you inform your batman, that he can eat with the other noncoms in the forward carriage."

David looked at Josh, who was bristling and about to say something in response, when Julia laughed. "Now, now Liz. No need to stand on formalities, is there! I am sure Lord Lewellyn has dined here with your father in the past."

With a start, David realised that Julia was referring to Josh - a Lord of the Realm. Julia continued, "Now I can't say that I know why you are so at each others throats, but I do know that this is something that has gone on long enough. Can I urge you both for the sake of the Kingdom and David and my digestion, that you resolve your conflict and so allow David and I to enjoy our breakfast."

"You stole my favourite teddy!" growled Liz.

"You pulled my pants down in front of my parents!" retorted Josh. "And I did not steal your teddy!" he added.

David mentally scratched his head. They were reliving this as if it were yesterday. He opened his mouth to comment, but caught Julia's shake of the head, and so closed it and settled back for the show.

The argument went back a forth. It seemed that they had been at war since they were infants. A battle of wits had been waged as they had sought to outdo one another over perceived insults. By the time breakfast was over, both Liz and Josh had come to a resolution of sorts. They would be civil to each other and make the most of a difficult situation.

Later, as the train broke free of London and headed north, David caught up with Julia on her own.

"Julia, who is matchmaking here?" She looked the picture of innocence. "Now come on, you've accused Mountbatten of trying to be the force behind the throne. Tell me the truth, have you had anything to do with Josh's selection?"

"I might have been consulted, but this goes way beyond me!" she confided.

"I don't think it's fair" David grumbled, "You pull a serving officer of what must have been an important mission, to have him babysit a Princess with whom he has a rocky relationship! I can understand why he is upset."

"Who said this is a babysitting tour?" countered Julia. "Trust me, this is no, how do you Americans say it? Cakerun?"

David sat in the royal carriage upon a rather uncomfortable lounge chair. As he stared out the window watching the countryside slide pass, he attempted to review the startling information he had just received.

Julia's revelations made him examine the countryside with a new intensity. There were active communist partisan groups out there. Their targets, not only military but societal — there was a steady loss of various high officials and aristocrats. Sheffield was a major centre of this underground activity. And the only line open to the north.

The train would be stopping briefly in Derby to pick up a flatbed with an AA gun and crew, and a squad of commandoes subconded by MI6 for the trip. So far the train had made good time. But according to Julia, delays could be expected due to bombed bridges and lines.

He couldn't quite believe all this, and was keen for the train to get them up north to Inverness.

"Bloody hell!""

David turned to see Josh fuming. He smiled. "Liz not cooperating?"

"Look, she might be the heir apparent, but she has got to learn to take orders!" Josh was fit to burst. "Who does she think she is? I give a reasonable order and what does she do? She laughs and tells me to go play with my little tin soldiers!"

David's smile turned into a laugh. "Josh, Josh! Calm down! You know you can't treat her like any old recruit." David turned thoughtful, "Here's an idea, think of her as a superior officer who hasn't got a clue. After all she is your superior officer isn't she?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.